autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DA polisher

Post Thanks / Like

DA polisher

Now that I know that my Makita 5000 C is useless as a DA I’m going to get one that works and I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me choose the best one DA polisher.
    Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA polisher

I'm sure you'll get different recommendations but if you're looking for a free spinning DA I would go with the Griots Garage 6". If you're looking for a gear driven orbital, I would go with the Flex 3401.

3. Thanks Mariana thanked for this post
    Likes Mariana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mariana View Post
    Now that I know that my Makita 5000 C is useless as a DA I’m going to get one that works and I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me choose the best one DA polisher.
    Thanks!!!

As an old saying once went and I was told roughly, "When the only tool one has is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail".

I had to look this tool up. It is said to be a Concrete Planer. I'd say definitely not the right tool and that any decent DA would probably be an improvement.

The "best one" will come under many different shapes, sizes and styles, and you could get numerous recommendations.

On the cheap, the Porter Cable 7424XP, or the Griots GG6 are adequate machines, more compact, lighter, easier to handle, and can be outfitted with a variety of different size Backing Plates, and Pads. The general recommendations are usually 5.5" pads with 5" Backing Plate, 4" pads with a 3.5" Backing Plate, and 3" Pads with a 2-7/8" Backing Plate.

Lake Country sells all these Backing Plates, Griots also makes a nice 5" Ventilated Plate, all are available right here.

Either machine works just fine, particularly if you just do your vehicles, and a couple others here and there. The money saved can be used to buy all the Pads, and Plates, and numerous accessory products such as Pad Cleaners, Pad Conditioners, Pad Brushes,

Or, if you're willing to spend more, and want a more refined machine, then the Griots Boss Line, the Rupes, and the Flex Machines are ones to be had.

The Griots Boss and Flex Machines will not be well suited for running many of the various smaller Backing Plates, being that they are physically larger machines.

All Griots Machines carry a lifetime warrantee, so that's a great perk.

It's been my experience, that even just buying the "lowly" PC 7424XP Machine, once you acquire a host of a good quantity of various pads, plates, polishes, pad cleaners etc, you can easily invest a cool $400-$500 no problemo. Go to the Boss, Rupes, or Flex, you might then be looking at $700, $800 or more total to be initially well established. That has to be your choice.

5. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Mark, I already have a decent amount of pads and other products, I really want to buy the best option so I can stick with it for a while. I also want to buy a new rotary, but that will be later on, for now my old Makita is fine... I will look at the options you gave me and make a decision DA polisher

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    I'm sure you'll get different recommendations but if you're looking for a free spinning DA I would go with the Griots Garage 6". If you're looking for a gear driven orbital, I would go with the Flex 3401.
    Why should he get a 3401 when he already has a 5000C?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!!!

Look into a Rupes Duetto.

9. Thanks Mariana thanked for this post
    Likes Mariana, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Why should he get a 3401 when he already has a 5000C?
    That's true, my bad. He already has a gear driven orbital in the 5000C. Read the question too fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!!!

Your Makita is still a DA polisher. It’s just a forced rotation like the flex 3401 and the new rupes Millie.

From everything I’ve read and seen online it doesn’t work well in the free spinning mode. But it’s still a DA polisher and should be good for anything you want to do.

It does have a short 5.5mm throw so if your looking for something with a larger throw then that’s a reason to look for a different polisher. The larger throw might speed things up but with pad stalling could be negligible.

12. Thanks Mariana thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JWallace View Post
    Your Makita is still a DA polisher. It’s just a forced rotation like the flex 3401 and the new rupes Millie.

From everything I’ve read and seen online it doesn’t work well in the free spinning mode. But it’s still a DA polisher and should be good for anything you want to do.

It does have a short 5.5mm throw so if your looking for something with a larger throw then that’s a reason to look for a different polisher. The larger throw might speed things up but with pad stalling could be negligible.
    Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe inappropriate and to add to the mix, take a look at Adams Swirl Killer. I got one and like it. Good price and holiday sale.

15. Thanks Mariana thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast