autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

cleaning tire bloom with powder coated wheels.

I bought a 535XI BMW last November the previous owner "painted" the stock staggered 124s. I am thinking he meant to say powder coated.
    Funny thing is the guy said he owned a house painting business.

Well what do we do but detail the car right away when we get it home.
    First thing is get out the wheel supplies and do a wheels take off job. I used D143 cut 1:1 to scrub the rubber not really thinking about it.
    After everything is dry I look close and see imperfections on the wheel surface which aren't all that bad. I don't know if they were there before or not.
    The car was in a fairly dirty condition.
    Gloss coat on the wheels and TW Black Endura on the rubber.

The next day I started the car.
    So with that back story in place, the uneven look on the wheels irks me. I tried Megs UC to test a spot which pulled black and didn't really do anything.
    I went over the GC with WGDGPS and it improved a little, then back to the look a few days later.
    Recently I used WETS and that has seemed to disguise them better. Really the problem only shows with a led flashlight otherwise they look good.
    They definitely have the look (slight staining) of powder coated wheels cleaned with the wrong cleaner, at least according to the wide world web.

I would like to scrub the rubber blooming and re-coat but what in the store should I use? Most tire cleaners aren't powder coat friendly.
    Down the road I will be getting a new wheel set up and will probably stick to a matte black. This puts me in a need to know situation.

What do you seasoned pros use to really get into a tire cleaning when they hold powder coated wheels?

Thanks,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning tire bloom with powder coated wheels.

Powdercoat doesn't really have to do with it, apply stoners tarminator to a tire applicator and wipe it on. Scrub with applicator a bit. Follow with any soap. Nothing gets on the wheel. Works perfectly all the time on tire bloom.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

cleaning tire bloom with powder coated wheels.

Why/how is there blooming after you’ve coated the tires with TW Endura Tire Coating? IME it’s perfectly ok to coat tires with blooming on them as long as they’ve been scrubbed clean. The blooming is irrelevant and doesn’t affect the tire coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning tire bloom with powder coated wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Powdercoat doesn't really have to do with it, apply stoners tarminator to a tire applicator and wipe it on. Scrub with applicator a bit. Follow with any soap. Nothing gets on the wheel. Works perfectly all the time on tire bloom.
    Well hells bells, that's a first for me.
    I did think about the very very careful approach but never thought to use Stoners.

And 2k, it still shows through with the right light if it's there. I recoated and went with it after using a wipe with the TW cleaner.
    Those little things get to me.
    Powder coat cleaning is soap and water and tires are heavy duty cleaners.
    I was worried about dribble. I guess I will have to use a much more sterile approach now and in the future.

I have yet to find anything about this.