autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finishing Polish For Soft Paint

Hi everyone,

I decided to do a detail on my black Mitsubishi Lancer today. Started off with a wash, iron x, tar x, and then clay. I didnt want to remove 100% of all defects, I just wanted to remove some light swirls and restore a bit of gloss. I reached for ultimate polish and my DA with a white LC CCS polishing pad. To my surprise the polish hazed the paint ever so slightly and I could make out the trails of the polisher (I thought this was stuck on residue, I tried to remove it with wax and grease remover which is similar to prepsol, and then followed car pro eraser to no effect which tells me that its hazing), I have used this combination before on my mums car with haze-free results. With the same combo of pad and polish I tried different machine speeds, arm speeds and passes to no effect. I then threw on a LC CCS black finishing pad, there was an improvement but the paint was still hazy under my defect spotting light. I then reached for Mothers Pure Polish and repeated the same pad and technique combos and got even more hazing. I have concluded that my paint is indeed soft

When it comes to soft paint what finishing polishes and pads do you guys use to achieve a haze-free finish? Any advice would be absolutely fantastic !

-James

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finishing Polish For Soft Paint

In your case, I would get some Megs 205, apply 4 small pea sized drops of 205 to a clean pad. Then rinse the pad out with some distilled water... just enough to get about 70% of the megs 205 out of the pad. I would take a spray bottle of distiled water and spray a test spot on the vehicle. Then do 6 to 8 section passes with the pad and watered down 205. You may have to mist your wipe-mf with some distilled water as well. In other words, you want to wet-polish the vehicle. I would also tape trim and cover windows with towels as there may be some splatter...

Another thing to check is your Microfiber Towels. Did you wash them COLD Water with a dedicated Micro-Restore detergent? Did you air-fluff dry (low heat). A scratchy old MF could easily cause hazing.

3. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Perfect Finish is known to work on soft finicky paints. And as mentioned above it's important to use great quality mf towels when wipe of residue polish and the LSP. It's also important to not overwork the polish of choice. So 4-5 passes per sections then wipe it off gently. Then a sealant that is known to be easy to wipe off too or a WOWA as wipe of is not needed. A coating would be to consider as well since it's bonds so fast and you level it and get the product residue off. If coating is an option or a coating light as Gyeon CanCoat. A primer polish like carpro essence or if CanCoat the Gyeon Primer would be a great choice to a finishing polish. The benefit is the no need to do a prep wipe before coating if useing a primer polish.

5. Likes Paul A., LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran into this issue as well.

M205 and UP basically scoured my paint. Tried multiple pressures, speeds, and pads (all 3 megs foam discs, hazed no matter the pad.)

The stripe down the middle (excuse my rock chips) was from m205. The after on either side was from Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish would work too.) It’s good stuff, and really easy to work with. The diminishing abrasives mean you have to work it for a little longer than I’d like though, so I’d been trying to find a non diminishing polish that I could use in its place.

Mwoywod was nice enough to send me a sample of HD polish+. I don’t have any pictures of the finish after using it, but it also finishes down haze free. Product doesn’t dust, has plenty of working time, and has a great wipe off. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this product. It does seem to stain pads, which doesn’t bother me, but it’s probably worth mentioning.

If pad staining bothers you, Griots Garage Perfecting Cream is basically neck and neck with HD polish+, and it smells better IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try UP with the black pad again.

This time back off on:

1. The amount of polish.
    2. The pad speed. Use just enough to maintain slow rotation.
    3. Number of passes. The more passes you do, the more the paint will adhere to the abrasives, and potentially mar the finish.

You also want to maintain firm pressure. Sort of counter intuitive, but these these SMAT polishes are sort of a different animal. I had a very hard time wrapping my head around the concept of polishing to a high gloss with one set of passes, but it makes sense...

The following article is a must read for M205/Ultimate Polish.

Tips to acheive a flawless finish with M205 and a DA polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I ran into this issue as well.

M205 and UP basically scoured my paint. Tried multiple pressures, speeds, and pads (all 3 megs foam discs, hazed no matter the pad.)

The stripe down the middle (excuse my rock chips) was from m205. The after on either side was from Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish would work too.) It’s good stuff, and really easy to work with. The diminishing abrasives mean you have to work it for a little longer than I’d like though, so I’d been trying to find a non diminishing polish that I could use in its place.

Mwoywod was nice enough to send me a sample of HD polish+. I don’t have any pictures of the finish after using it, but it also finishes down haze free. Product doesn’t dust, has plenty of working time, and has a great wipe off. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this product. It does seem to stain pads, which doesn’t bother me, but it’s probably worth mentioning.

If pad staining bothers you, Griots Garage Perfecting Cream is basically neck and neck with HD polish+, and it smells better IMO.

Its annoying considering Ive had great luck on other cars ! :P
    In regards to the products you mentioned, did you inspect the finish after it was wiped down with IPA or another oil removing solvent to make sure said oils werent masking the potential hazing??

-James

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Try UP with the black pad again.

This time back off on:

1. The amount of polish.
    2. The pad speed. Use just enough to maintain slow rotation.
    3. Number of passes. The more passes you do, the more the paint will adhere to the abrasives, and potentially mar the finish.

You also want to maintain firm pressure. Sort of counter intuitive, but these these SMAT polishes are sort of a different animal. I had a very hard time wrapping my head around the concept of polishing to a high gloss with one set of passes, but it makes sense...

The following article is a must read for M205/Ultimate Polish.

Tips to acheive a flawless finish with M205 and a DA polisher
    Great! Thanks for that! Ill be sure to give those techniques a go. If they dont work then Im considering buying either HD polish+ as Finick suggested or menzerna 3500. Anyone tried the menserna polish on soft paint? Ive read it works well.

-James

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro Reflect has always worked for me with soft sticky paints.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by james751993 View Post
    Its annoying considering Ive had great luck on other cars ! :P
    In regards to the products you mentioned, did you inspect the finish after it was wiped down with IPA or another oil removing solvent to make sure said oils werent masking the potential hazing??

-James
    For sure, I was super pumped when I got my quart of m205 because I’d seen all the great reviews. My paint was just not havin it. The quart is just sitting on my shelf gathering dust, next to the half full bottle of Ultimate Polish!

I’ve followed all 3 of those polishes with an IPA mix and haven’t seen them hiding the haze at all.

I’ll say that maybe there was a way to get m205 or UP to work on my paint, and someone much more experienced than me could manage, but for me it simply wasn’t worth trying to jump through more hoops than I already had.

Post Thanks / Like

I've made this recommendation for very soft black Porche paint a few times. It has worked great for everyone who has tried it. It's great on extremely soft paint. Optimum HyperPolish on a finishing pad.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

15. Likes D.BRITT liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast