autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean air vents

Post Thanks / Like

Clean air vents

What is the proper way of cleaning vents?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clean air vents

Theres alot of different ways that you can approach it. Normally i would use a steamer along with some long bristle brushes and a little apc. The steam gets deep into the vent and the apc with the brush does good for the outside parts. Scott from Dallas Paint Correction on youtube also showed how you can use foam paint brushes in the vent.

3. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a good steamer for Detailing?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Tornador and a boars hair brush. If you have access to compressed air, personally I think that investing $100 in a tornador classic is a better investment than steamers in that price range.

I use distilled water with a little squirt of N-914 inside my tornador reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleBis2 View Post
    Normally i would use a steamer along with some long bristle brushes and a little apc. The steam gets deep into the vent
    IMO using a steamer to clean vents is not a good idea because all you’re really doing is introducing a bunch of moisture inside the dash. There’s no cleaning or disinfecting going on when you steam into the vents.

If you take your steamer and hold it several inches from your hand you’ll just wind up with a wet hand and nothing else, and the same thing happens when you steam into your vents.

The most effective way to easily clean dirty vents is to use foam swabs sprayed with your choice of cleaner.

7. Likes gspam1, Bobh59, ZRX61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In most cases I'd say to be the least intrusive, and least aggressive as possible, meaning I myself would probably stick to simpler old fashioned methods.

For just simple dusting I myself choose soft small brushes, there's a good number of very nice detailing brushes sold here.

When it's your own vehicle, then time, and how fast you get it done is commonly not a factor. Just take your time and enjoy the processes.

When it comes to removing stubborn cruds, dirts, smoke residues, and one must feel a need to resort to a wet cleaning method, the cleaning sticks-swabs shown earlier would be one tool to use. Or what I've done is use disposable Q-Tips and a mild cleaner. Such could be a variety of household APC's, a Glass Cleaner, or an approved Interior Cleaner. The Blackfire Cleaner works very nice and is safe.

The Q-Tips again can be utilized if one wishes to go to the extent of also placing a protectant on the Louvers-etc, and giving them a dressed finished appearance. I'd stick with something that is water based, and again, the Blackfire Multi-Use Protectant would be one that would get my vote, very nice product I've found.

I like the use of simple Q-Tips, they get dirty, you toss them, and simply reach for another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    IMO using a steamer to clean vents is not a good idea because all you’re really doing is introducing a bunch of moisture inside the dash. There’s no cleaning or disinfecting going on when you steam into the vents.

If you take your steamer and hold it several inches from your hand you’ll just wind up with a wet hand and nothing else, and the same thing happens when you steam into your vents.

The most effective way to easily clean dirty vents is to use foam swabs sprayed with your choice of cleaner.

where do you get those swabs?

2017 Toyota Tundra
    2013 M37S Infinity
    2007 BMW 335i convertible

Post Thanks / Like

Q-tips and small brushes. Canned compressed air would be your friend here too.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Over time, dirt and dust can accumulate in car AC vents. If neglected, they would cause polluted air within your car and even mold growth, which emits a musty odor. That is why car vent cleaning must be regularly done once or twice a month or more if necessary.
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 08-08-2022 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Links

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robert2008 View Post
    Over time, dirt and dust can accumulate in car AC vents. If neglected, they would cause polluted air within your car and even mold growth, which emits a musty odor. That is why car vent cleaning must be regularly done once or twice a month or more if necessary.
    Who is gonna clean their vents twice a month?
    Do you?
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

13. Likes dcjredline, Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast