autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's D301 Finishing Wax on Tinted Windows

Being that D301 is silicone and carnauba wax... would it not be okay to use on aftermarket tinted windows? Applied by hand of course.

Spectra Photosync dealer stated Brillianize (plastic polish) or some sort of silicone wax was best to use, so I was thinking the D301 would be sufficient without having to buy something else.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's D301 Finishing Wax on Tinted Windows

I prefer my windows to shed water in the rain, not to bead.

Post Thanks / Like

Tints are on the inside. Are you thinking of applying this to the interior surfaces of your tinted windows?

Post Thanks / Like

D301 has abrasives in it, no?

Outstanding polish and wax in one bottle, premium AIO product

Use after the DA Microfiber Cutting Compound or by itself as a one step process

Should be applied with a dual action buffer like the Porter Cable 7424 XP and the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Finishing Disc Buffing Pad

Removes very fine swirls, oxidation, etc. while leaving valuable protection behind

Post Thanks / Like

I sure wouldn’t it does have abrasives in it as far as I know.

They are wanting a slick surface so it glides down the belt molding as easy as possible with less chance of damage long term

Any type of spray wax or sealant would work if you feel the need. Even a waterless was or QD should fit the bill

I can’t imagine optiseal being bad, 303 spray wax, ultimate quick wax, optimum wax, dodo tropical red mist, Blackfire waterless, jay Leno QD just to name a handful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Try Plexus or M37 Plex-All if you want a very gentle polishing of tinted window films.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... this would be on the inside and applied by hand.

I decided to call Meguiar's and inquire about D301. According to "Brian" the D301 does not have any abrasives in it and should be okay on tint if applied by hand with a foam pad. He says he might not use a microfiber pad to apply it... definitely not a polisher, which I had not planned to use anyway.

lol.. decided to call back again, and this time "Ben" says it could have some light abrasives it in due to it being used in a system, but I don't think he really knew. He says "Ultimate" would be fine since it is pure wax with silicone in it.

I got this because I thought it being "Specially formulated to optimize surface after applying DA Microfiber Correction Compound" ... would mean the "Correction Compound" is what has the abrasives and this is the wax coat to apply to make it smooth and shiny.

I'll probably just send it back and get some Ultimate or what some of you have recommended.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... may need to scratch the Ultimate idea too since it is hydrophobic ...
    Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    You should NOT use hydrophobic products on interior glass. I hear of lots of people doing it but the simple fact is that hydrophobic means water droplet formation. Water droplet formation means 'fog'. A hydrophobic product is the OPPOSITE of anti-fog. It is not even fog neutral - it actually will encourage fog formation. What is worse is that these sorts of products are rarely removable with anything short of a polish - you can't polish the interior glass easily because you cannot get access.

So I am sorry to say that anything hydrophobic, on the interior is a very poor idea. I am shocked that someone from Optimum would advocate this - in a cold damp environment, such use could potentially lead to an accident.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Plexus or M37 Plex-All if you want a very gentle polishing of interior tinted window films. It is one of the things the product was designed for. Why are you insisting on an AIO for interior glass?

Post Thanks / Like

If you're using it with a polyfoam wax applicator pad you'll fine. Just be smart with the amount of pressure you're applying.

In the past I've used HD Speed many times by hand with a foam applicator on aftermarket tinted windows for cleaning off smokers film. I just used really light pressure and applied it like I would a finishing wax.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast