autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glaze, sealant, or wax recommendations for black car?

My black car stays garaged most of the time these days with occasional use during the weekends and short trips during the week. Looking for some advice on what product I should be using if I want something that would conceal minor paint defects (swirl marks mostly) while minimizing attraction to dirt and dust during the brief period the car is exposed outside. Do I need a wax or can I get away with a sealant or glaze product such as blacklight?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glaze, sealant, or wax recommendations for black car?

For the fun of it I made a 3:1 mixture of ultimate liquid wax to black hole that works really well on dark colors. Both fill (black hole more so) and ULW is decently durable. I usually use it before shows and stuff. You could probably mix something similar if you're looking for a quick way to seal and conceal. Carnauba wax tends to attract a bit more dust than a sealant so I would probably avoid that.

Post Thanks / Like

This time of year dust and pollen seem at its peak or just after peak. Hard to escape dust that is everywhere

Prima amigo, Poorboys blackhole, CG blacklight all CAN do some filling or masking

Depending on your definition of swirls cause everyone’s are different you may get the filling you want. I see most people have heavier swirling than they anticipate. So results are sometimes disappointing

Obviously some of the non carnauba wax products tend to accumulate dust less but man even that’s a case by case basis

Like some people say UFF has less dust with video to prove it and others in the same thread say they don’t feel that way

The less it seems you touch your paint with that microfiber (which are staticky to a point to attract dust) the better. It’s like rubbing that balloon on your hair it’s get charged up and attracts the same happens with dust on your panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

The less it seems you touch your paint with that microfiber (which are staticky to a point to attract dust) the better.

It’s like rubbing that balloon on your hair it’s get charged up and attracts the same happens with dust on your panels.
    I typed the below into Google

dust static electricity mike Phillips

Found this article,

Static Electricity and Dust Attraction to your Car's Paint

5. Likes MattPersman, gamagreen liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by deacno View Post

My black car stays garaged most of the time these days with occasional use during the weekends and short trips during the week.

Looking for some advice on what product I should be using if I want something that would conceal minor paint defects (swirl marks mostly) while minimizing attraction to dirt and dust during the brief period the car is exposed outside.

Do I need a wax or can I get away with a sealant or glaze product such as blacklight?

No easy or simple answer to this type of issue.

Your car's paint has a negative charge naturally. The dust in the air has a static charge, the two things just seem to like each other. Wiping with a dry cloth like Matt said also increases static electricity.

Wiping your car's paint down with water will temporarily remove light build-up of both the dust and the static electricity. Water is not a good lubricant. This is where a quality spray detailer comes in handy, it's mostly water, so the water removes the static electricity and then the cleaners in the product will help to remove any light road film or other substances that build-up off the surface and of course the glossing agents will make the paint shiny.

The key is simple,

"Find something you like and use it often"

So find a spray detailer that you like and then get a stack of quality fluffy microfiber towels and become an expert and quickly wiping your car down.

Besides that, I'm a huge fan of jewelling waxes to maintain garage queens.

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Car Wax History

Meguiar's use to make a product line called Medallion. Most of you probably have never heard of this, seen it or used it but I have. It was unique in that it used a cationic chemical/electrical action to create to bond to the paint. What I believe Meguiar's said about the product was the molecules in the sealant were positive, while the molecules in your car's paint were negative, thus opposites attract and that's how the product bonded or would "stick" to the paint. I believe the other effect was it removed or reduced static electricity.

Low sales and at the time it was on the market, high price, led to it killing it off. I think Meguiar's calls this,

Skew Rationalization

Here's a picture of one the earliest version of this product in my antique car wax collection

8. Thanks DetailTrail, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes FrankS, GEM65, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trigger Wash? Is that an old-school waterless wash?

Bath & Kitchen cleaner? whoa

Thanks for sharing!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Trigger Wash? Is that an old-school waterless wash?

That was the first spray detailer/waterless wash. Meguiar's dropped the name and changed it to Quik Detailer. I think Eagle 1 picked up the name Trigger Wash later down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Bath & Kitchen cleaner? whoa

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, Meguiar's had an entire Kitchen & Home line, I think I have most of these products in my collection also.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool info, Mike!!!

Post Thanks / Like

They should bring a product like that back, perhaps it cost lower to manufacture, any retailer that would reduce the static electricity would be welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast