autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 VW GTI Alloy Wheels and Painted Calipers - Which products are safe?

The calipers on my SRT4 came painted red with no clear over them. This is a problem because they will eventually start to turn black because the brake dust gets into the paint. I would get some clearcoat on them before anything else. If you want to step it up a notch, check out Glisten PC from Por15. It's a two-part epoxy and gets extremely hard. I pulled my calipers, stripped them down, painted, and applied Glisten PC over two years ago and they still look perfect.

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mightypudge View Post
    What’s the proper way to coat the calipers? Do the wheels need to come off?

The best and most durable way would be to pull the wheels off. This is also the best way to coat wheels so you can do the inside and the outside easily.

This is CarPro Hydro 2, correct? When applying to wheels and calipers is it just a matter of spraying on while they are wet, then rinsing off with the hose?

Yeah you are correct with the process. Hydro2 works great as a stand-alone sealant and as a coating topper as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Yes. I’d love to do that to mine but I just don’t have an easy way to remove my wheels to coat the barrels or the caliper

I have jack and a set of jack stands. But I also have a 2nd vehicle that’s helps for longer term projects where I go a little OCD.

3. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 VW GTI Alloy Wheels and Painted Calipers - Which products are safe?

I’d look at using Carpro dLux on them as a solid coating. Then you can use a Sealant (hydro2) as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What’s the proper way to coat the calipers? Do the wheels need to come off?
    That's the only good way to get at them. If you swap out summer and winter wheels, it makes a perfect time to go in and spruce them up twice a year.

Yes. I’d love to do that to mine but I just don’t have an easy way to remove my wheels to coat the barrels or the caliper
    You'd be surprised how inexpensively and easily you can do this. One trip to your local Harbor Freight store will get you an inexpensive jack, jack stands, wheel chocks, torque wrench, and breaker bar. Amazon is a great source for the deep well acrylic lined sockets. The HF tools aren't racing pit crew grade, but for a couple times a year they do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    The calipers on my SRT4 came painted red with no clear over them. This is a problem because they will eventually start to turn black because the brake dust gets into the paint. I would get some clearcoat on them before anything else. If you want to step it up a notch, check out Glisten PC from Por15. It's a two-part epoxy and gets extremely hard. I pulled my calipers, stripped them down, painted, and applied Glisten PC over two years ago and they still look perfect.
    Using a Speedmaster wheel brush will help you get into calipers and keep them clean while the wheels are still mounted. I also noticed my calipers started to turn pink from the heat after a track day. This was easily fixed by polishing them out with an AIO and they have held up pretty well since.

I've not heard of the product you used, but I'm thinking of repainting mine with G2 Caliper paint once I've got time to take on a project like that.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    You'd be surprised how inexpensively and easily you can do this. One trip to your local Harbor Freight store will get you an inexpensive jack, jack stands, wheel chocks, torque wrench, and breaker bar. Amazon is a great source for the deep well acrylic lined sockets. The HF tools aren't racing pit crew grade, but for a couple times a year they do just fine.
    I thought about it but my garage is too tight for that, can't use a jack in there. My driveway is steep and wouldn't be safe. Doing it right on the road might be an issue as I'm in an HOA managed development and not sure we can service cars on the street. So it's more about the location than the job or having the tools to do it.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about it but my garage is too tight for that, can't use a jack in there. My driveway is steep and wouldn't be safe. Doing it right on the road might be an issue as I'm in an HOA managed development and not sure we can service cars on the street. So it's more about the location than the job or having the tools to do it.
    This is my situation as well. We are not permitted to work on our cars in our driveway and we don’t have garages.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12