autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preventing Dust/Pollen layer?

Quote Originally Posted by Emt1581 View Post
    Now is that okay for the life of the vehicle (decades)...to just never wax the car and only use sealant?

Thanks!
    Absolutely. A good quality paint sealant applied at regular intervals will help to keep your paint protected for decades. It's paint that is abused and neglected that will ultimately fail.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Not to hijack, but...

1. What is the safest way to remove that layer of pollen? Quick detailer spray or hit it with the hose?
    2. Should I stress about removing pollen every morning, or can I leave it until the weekend?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mightypudge View Post
    Not to hijack, but...

1. What is the safest way to remove that layer of pollen? Quick detailer spray or hit it with the hose?
    2. Should I stress about removing pollen every morning, or can I leave it until the weekend?
    really all personal preference, and what works best for your paint. If you take pollen off in the morning, it will come back so you'd just be constantly cleaning. How much time a day do you want to devote to a car sitting outside that will always see pollen? Once a week should be fine but it's all what is your preference and fits your schedule.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mightypudge View Post
    Not to hijack, but...

The answer for question #1 is based on question #2.

Like cleanmycorolla mentioned, the pollen is constantly falling for weeks/months depending on where you live. It's a never ending battle unless the car is sealed in a bubble.

If you want to attack the pollen on a daily basis, I'd use a waterless wash. I'm not a fan of using QD sprays for anything more than removing random smudges, isolated bird droppings, or water spot removal after a wash. I'd feel safer taking a waterless wash to a slightly dirty/dusty/pollen covered car. Should you wait a week, a bucket wash is perfectly acceptable and, IMHO, the safer option.

This time of year, my car is always covered in pollen. It builds up WHILE I'M WASHING/DRYING, and is really frustrating. However, I'm much more comfortable doing a bucket wash every weekend vs. doing a wipe-down on a daily basis.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emt1581 View Post
    I have what I consider a good routine down for cleaning my car and then keeping it looking nice with sealer and then wax. Just on the exterior body/wheels I spend about 4-6 hours the first day and then about 2 hours the following day getting it that way but the result is totally worth it. I only drive on dry warm/hot pavement so my car does not see rain/snow/salt/etc. However, the biggest issue I have...by far!!...is dust and/or pollen gathering on the surface.

The car will look absolutely gorgeous at a distance and then when up close these huge patches of dust/pollen can be seen (even a few days after being cleaned) and it looks HORRIBLE!!

The last thing to go on my car is Collinite 845. Is there another product I can put on top of that or maybe another wax I can use that will repel dust/pollen? If I could just get that figured out, my car would look great for months at a clip!

Thanks!
    I have been using Meguiar’s Ulitmate Fast Finish. It does a great job at keeping the car cleaner longer. By no means does it prevent pollen actually landing on the car. With that said, it is the product I would reach for to battle against the pollen issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings have anti static properties and great slickness especially when paired with toppers such as Skin, Gliss, Topcoat 1.0. These combinations will help pollen and dust slide off. But the dream of a totally “Teflon” non stick surface for vehicles has not been realized, yet.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12