autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Reload as Standalone Sealant - 2 Massive Fails...Any thoughts?

Ok long story short...

I took my truck, fully strip washed it, iron decon, clay, re-wash and dried it. Paint was naked and did not need to be polished (Just did it a few weeks ago). I then applied CarPro Reload just like this video shows:

YouTube

The gloss was amazing and the paint was crazy slick immediately afterwards. I parked it and drove it a few days later. It started raining and I noticed there was very little paint beading. I then washed it that weekend and noticed even when just rinsing down there was ZERO beading, the water stuck to the paint and the surface wasn't slick at all, it was completely naked there was no protection on that paint. Ok I thought, I'll start over. I re-strip washed and dried, then I wiped the whole vehicle down with an IPA product very similar to Eraser. Then I applied CarPro Reload again, same way as above. Again, great gloss and the paint was very slick, it beaded like crazy when I squirted it with water (Tested immediately after application that is). So I parked the truck and drove it a few days later, again, in the rain. No beading on the paint, rain didn't fly off the truck when I was driving like the previous LSP I used did, and there wasn't any slickness to the touch. I pressure washed it this weekend and again, water clung to the paint like it had never been waxed/sealed, again paint is naked and grabby to the touch. I did test wash sections with Ech2o as Rinseless, a regular Car Shampoo, and CarPro Reset - All three areas the results were the same, ZERO slickness left, ZERO beading, point is the Reload was GONE and this stuff is supposed to be good for a few months at least. I'm quite exasperated.

Is it 100% necessary to apply CarPro Reload ONLY if you just polished it with Essence or something? That's the only thing I could think of to try next. It's going into the bodyshop for some chip fixes and after it comes out, I really doubt I'll try Reload again unless there's some change...Previously I used Adam's LPS topped regularly with H2O G&G and the paint looked and felt amazing and beaded like crazy, water flew off when I drove it. I know Adam's is not a favorite here and I agree they're not the best and are over priced but the #### worked a lot better than the mighty CarPro Reload...

Yes the Reload I have is brand new, bought from CarPro-US, was well shaken, I used good TRC microfibers, paint was naked before application, etc. etc. I did everything right that I could think of except for an Essence priming polish.

Any thoughts? I have emailed Corey already.
    2018 Camaro ZL1 | A10 | White | Coupe | PDR | Nav | Carbon Fiber
    2017 Corvette C7 Z06 | A8 | Black | Z07 | 3LZ | Carbon Fiber
    And more.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Reload as Standalone Sealant - 2 Massive Fails...Any thoughts?

Switch to Gyeon or Mckees or BlackFire.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess that's what this discussion might as well turn to...what's the best non-ceramic coating, LSP for daily drivers?
    And more.

Post Thanks / Like

Normal for Reload. Use it more like a QD than a full fledged sealant. It is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CantHave2MuchHP View Post
    Ok long story short...

I took my truck, fully strip washed it, iron decon, clay, re-wash and dried it. Paint was naked and did not need to be polished (Just did it a few weeks ago). I then applied CarPro Reload just like this video shows:
    Ok I thought, I'll start over. I re-strip washed and dried, then I wiped the whole vehicle down with an IPA product very similar to Eraser.
    Strip wash - what was the process?
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

I know how Reload is marketed towards a sealant however, I feel its more of a "topper" type of product. It will certainly add lots of gloss to any vehicle but for me personally I don't think there is much longevity to Reload. I will use it for those vehicles that have coatings.

I have have had great success with Sonax Polymer NetShield, GTech C2V3, and just recently I have been testing the new Sonax Spray and Seal ( I don't have a stance on this yet) the other 2 I recommend hands down if you want a sealant and don't want to step up to a coating just yet.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I know that in one of the sealant durability test I have seen, Reload was one of the first sealants to fail. I cannot recall how long it lasted in the test.

I find it hard to believe it won't even last a week though. How are you applying it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    Strip wash - what was the process?
    A few ounces of APC mixed with regular soap. Makes it a bit acidic and shreds road film and wax right off. Especially after Iron X and Clay.
    And more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I know that in one of the sealant durability test I have seen, Reload was one of the first sealants to fail. I cannot recall how long it lasted in the test.

I find it hard to believe it won't even last a week though. How are you applying it?
    I linked the video in my original post but basically a few sprays of Reload into a MF applicator, apply in a 2x2 area, cross hatching, let it haze a bit and buff with a premium towel.
    And more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CantHave2MuchHP View Post
    A few ounces of APC mixed with regular soap. Makes it a bit acidic and shreds road film and wax right off. Especially after Iron X and Clay.
    Actually APC is alkaline, not acidic. Depending on the APC you use it's usually in the 11 to 13 range on the PH scale. Once mixed it will drop a little bit but not much.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast