autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Reload as Standalone Sealant - 2 Massive Fails...Any thoughts?

Just my opinion, but I have problems applying SIO2 products unless I first use a PREP product like Gyeon Prep, McKees 37 coating prep, etc. The iron remover doesn't do a good job on existing sealants. It'll remove wax, but do a poor job on sealants. For kicks I tried Gyeon CanCoat on a small section of my wife's Scion XB that had WG sealant on it. I washed and did an IPA wipe, then applied CanCoat. Major failure. The next weekend I took Gyeon Prep to the same area, then used CanCoat. Perfect results. Then I used Gyeon Prep to the entire car and used CanCoat. Looks wonderful. My guess is you did not actually have bare paint. You just thought you did. Not looking for an argument, just offering my opinion based on what results I get.

For Sio2 sealants I prefer Cure, 22PLE VS1 FC, and also the new Blackfire SIO2 sealant over Reload. YMMV though....Kamikaze OverCoat may be the best, but it's expensive and I'm on a budget. I have some and love it, but the 22PLE VS1 FC will be my main product.

2. Likes Maxreed241, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In fact, your best bet may be to go with Gyeon Prep and Gyeon CanCoat. Guys are getting a year from it and I can do 8-10 sedans from a single bottle. Just be sure to polish or use a good prep product first. CanCoat beading is "Oh my gosh". That would cost you 75 dollars and set you up for years.

Post Thanks / Like

You are not the first person who has had negative outcomes with this product. It sounds like the marketing department at CarPro overextended the original intent of the product.

Old thread: CarPro Reload - Yay or Nay

From the site: "Originally formulated to maintain the protection and finish quality of CQuartz coatings, Reload has also proven itself as a stand-alone sealant, where it can offer up to 4-months of protection on daily drivers. Reload’s easy to use waterborne formula can be applied to all vehicle surfaces, and even on damp surfaces, making it perfect for quickly topping up your vehicle’s protection and shine."

Almost seems like this marketing collateral was written by a new-grad MBA who has no clue about detailing.

With detailing products it is OK if something else is better or more well liked but the fails described in the thread I referenced are a death knell. The fact that the product has slip-streamed updates without clear versioning on the label is also a serious flaw. When you don't know which version you have or what changes were made to the version you have the resulting confusion increases FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) and is all self-inflicted. Detailers in general are interested in ease of use, cost-effectiveness and great results. This product seems not to excel at any of those.

5. Likes PaulMys, dlc95, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    You are not the first person who has had negative outcomes with this product. It sounds like the marketing department at CarPro overextended the original intent of the product.

From the site: "Originally formulated to maintain the protection and finish quality of CQuartz coatings, Reload has also proven itself as a stand-alone sealant, where it can offer up to 4-months of protection on daily drivers. Reload’s easy to use waterborne formula can be applied to all vehicle surfaces, and even on damp surfaces, making it perfect for quickly topping up your vehicle’s protection and shine."

Almost seems like this marketing collateral was written by a new-grad MBA who has no clue about detailing.

With detailing products it is OK if something else is better or more well liked but the fails described in the thread I referenced are a death knell. The fact that the product has slip-streamed updates without clear versioning on the label is also a serious flaw. When you don't know which version you have or what changes were made to the version you have the resulting confusion increases FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) and is all self-inflicted. Detailers in general are interested in ease of use, cost-effectiveness and great results. This product seems not to excel at any of those.
    While I am a huge Carpro fan, I might be inclined and believe the statements and observations you've made in your last paragraph.

7. Likes Route246 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten 3 weeks of sheeting from it, 4 if I'm generous. I polished first and let it cure out of the weather overnight. So prep could be part of the issue. But it's really just not very long lasting in my experience. The slickness and shine are excellent, however.

For Sealants that are easy to apply like Reload I'd look at Sonax PNS or Dodo Future Armour. I got 27 and 11 weeks out of these, respectively. There are plenty of other more durable sealants as well that aren't spray-and-wipe. DG 111, any of the Collinite sealants, Finish Kare 1000, and others. Lots of other options for more durable sealants.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post

Incredibly spot-on post. VERY true.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a 2.5 month clean durability test with Reload before I removed it.

Prep was M205, IPA wipedown. Only garaged for the first 24 hours, then it sat outside the whole time and was regularly driven.

It held up, no where near the performance in the short term but you should absolutely be getting more than a week out of it. I believe the version I tested is still the latest formula.

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched. Nice video. Will be watching your other product tests as well. And fwiw, I agree on Reload. A week seems too short.

Q for OP: did you dilute it? If so, what ratio. How soon after application did it get rained on?
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression Reload is more of a "topper" than a stand alone and I've only used it that way.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of longevity, I think I'll always retain Reload in my arsenal provided I'm gong to stay with and use Carpro's Ceramic Coatings.

While after some time has passed after an application of CQuartz, I might monkey and experiment with other sealants and topper products which I can hopefully determine is safe to use,

But I think I'll always still stick with Reload as the very first topper product immediately after CQuartz applications.

I still sort of hold by that theory of at east initially "keeping it in the family", and not play mad scientist and then possibly fubar such an application.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast