autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Reload as Standalone Sealant - 2 Massive Fails...Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by CantHave2MuchHP View Post
    I linked the video in my original post but basically a few sprays of Reload into a MF applicator, apply in a 2x2 area, cross hatching, let it haze a bit and buff with a premium towel.
    Ok I use a similar method... I spray into a microfiber towel and wipe the panel a few times. I don't really let haze. After wiping the panel for about 30 seconds, I get a second (dry) microfiber towel that has very short nap, and I buff off the panel lightly a few times to prevent streaking. The result should be about the same as what you are doing.

All I can say is, maybe you should send an email to CarPro and see what they tell you. Reload is designed as a toper for CQuartz, maybe as a stand alone it simply has no durability. I hope that is not the case, it's one of the most expensive sealant out there. Here in Canada one quart of this stuff is 80$.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Actually APC is alkaline, not acidic. Depending on the APC you use it's usually in the 11 to 13 range on the PH scale. Once mixed it will drop a little bit but not much.
    Woops, yeah I always get them mixed up.
    2018 Camaro ZL1 | A10 | White | Coupe | PDR | Nav | Carbon Fiber
    2017 Corvette C7 Z06 | A8 | Black | Z07 | 3LZ | Carbon Fiber
    And more.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never done any testing of the few formulations that have passed through my hands over the past few or so years.

But I do recall a video test which I believe was the one formulation that many people weren't liking, in which numerous repeated washings, some with APC's sprayed on the surface wasn't removing the product. That particular video may still survive somewhere?

I've tried keeping up with most of the more recent threads about Reload, and of course realize it's suggested use as both a topper over the CQuartz Coatings, and as well an initial protective product to be used while the CQuartz Coatings fully cure.

I'm surely no Chemist to say what harm other Sealants will possibly cause as maintenance topper products to use periodically, but my most concerning question would be would another brand-type Sealant product be harmful to use as the initial protectant immediately after CQuartz application?

Post Thanks / Like

Going back in time, when Reload used to then come in the White 400ml Spray Bottles from Carpro, (The very first version I myself personally had and tried) I cannot recall reading any comments or threads during that time period that noted Reload lacked durability, or application issues, and that Reload was then looked upon quite favorably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I've never done any testing of the few formulations that have passed through my hands over the past few or so years.

But I do recall a video test which I believe was the one formulation that many people weren't liking, in which numerous repeated washings, some with APC's sprayed on the surface wasn't removing the product. That particular video may still survive somewhere?

I've tried keeping up with most of the more recent threads about Reload, and of course realize it's suggested use as both a topper over the CQuartz Coatings, and as well an initial protective product to be used while the CQuartz Coatings fully cure.

I'm surely no Chemist to say what harm other Sealants will possibly cause as maintenance topper products to use periodically, but my most concerning question would be would another brand-type Sealant product be harmful to use as the initial protectant immediately after CQuartz application?
    Yes but in the video you are speaking about, they spray about 20 squirts on the panel. Way more product than what people are actually applying. It is impressive to see them use undiluted Meguiars APC on it, but if they were to apply the normal amount of product, I don't think it would survive long in that test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Going back in time, when Reload used to then come in the White 400ml Spray Bottles from Carpro, (The very first version I myself personally had and tried) I cannot recall reading any comments or threads during that time period that noted Reload lacked durability, or application issues, and that Reload was then looked upon quite favorably.
    It is one of the best looking and beading SiO2 sealant available. Most of us can't really test durability though. We apply it on client's vehicles and don't know how long it actually lasts. For that, I rely on youtube videos mostly, many people do durability tests of several products on a single hood. Usually the tests are done by apply between 5 to 20 products on a hood, and washing monthly. Most sealants don't last that long. The 6 months that company give is really extreme cases, usually by month 3 all sealants have lost their hydrophobic properties... doesn't mean it gone and doesn't protect the panel, but it won't shed water anymore. This can be due to contamination but since those tests are done on a hood that sits in a backyard somewhere, contamination should be minimal compared to a car being driven.

Post Thanks / Like

What car soap did you use before you applyied reload? Do you dilute the wash media after recommended dilution?

I have experienced this when I applyied the old version of Ultima paint guard plus. The problem I think it was that I applyied it when the evening dew came in.

Do reload has any cure time when it's not going to be wet? Since it's water based and you sprayed with water directly after application. And did you let the water to be self dried or did you use mf towels to dry it with or anything else?

Post Thanks / Like

Durability of Reload sucks.
    '03 Corvette Z06

9. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Switch to Gyeon or Mckees or BlackFire.
    I reckon Ron that such as you mention could be tried as substitutes for Reload.

My questions would be if they are anymore durable, or basically still in the same boat?

If all that these products are basically-technically, are Sealants, then I imagine no harm would come by use of any Sealant of personal choice, provided there are no cleaners, or abrasives as such as an AIO might have. I'm saying this in specific regard to topping a Paint Coating such as CQuartz.

My choices might be then an easy WOWA such as Optimum Opti-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, etc. I in fact did my Tahoe with UPGP about 2 weeks ago. And I have a bottle of Opti-Seal coming with a recent order.

11. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used Reload on lots of cars as a stand-alone sealant/quick detailer. My 4Runner is a test pig for stuff like this. I get an easy 3 months of good beading. My dad’s and mother in laws cars have had nothing but Reload and washes with reset for two years. Too much rust to worry about waxing. Lol. But they get good shine and beading for at least 3 months also. Can’t say I’d spend the money on it if it didn’t work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes lane5515 liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast