autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Compound ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compound ideas

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    My two favorites are D300 and FG 400. I have been tempted to try CarPro’s new compound. I hear it’s pretty good.
    What are your thoughts between the two?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My two favorites are D300 and FG 400. I have been tempted to try CarPro’s new compound. I hear it’s pretty good.
    I just ordered the new CarPro's compound a couple days ago. I've definitely got a vehicle to test it out on. I'm sure I'll end up using it on a Flash pad.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    What are your thoughts between the two?

I've never used D300. I like FG 400, can be kind of a pain to wipe off. I don't know what kind of machine you're using, that FCC is one of my favorites with a long throw.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Menz F400 and Pinnacle Advance Compound are nearly identical. Both fall into the DAT (diminishing abrasives -- long work times and abrasives break down). Both will dust!

D300 is SMAT, GG Fast Correcting Cream is (as I understand it) a proprietary version of SMAT. The great thing is no dusting. Smell can be a bit overwhelming after many hours of use. But, Pinnacle Advanced Compound or BOSS Fast Correcting Cream are my go to's.
    From what I understand FG400 starts with micro abrasives clumped together, which break apart through the buffing process.

"Menzerna FG400 uses, what has been described to me, as Agglomeration Abrasive Technology.

Agglomeration, according to Marian-Webster, means:
    the action or process of collecting in a massa heap or cluster of usually disparate elements

In terms of polishing abrasives, this defines Menzerna as a diminishing abrasive polish. The primary crystal aluminum oxide abrasives are joined together in agglomerations in order to higher level of cutting action with less abrasive load (less abrasives in the compound). Friction will break the larger abrasives apart (fracturing) until you are left with the primary crystal abrasives.

By using modern abrasive crystal refining, Menzerna looks to be attempting offer the best of both worlds. The initial high level of leveling that a diminishing abrasive offers as well as the high quality of finish that a non-diminishing abrasive offers. By using a lesser amount of abrasive powder in the compound, Menzerna can offer a wetter product that will dust less and has a higher potential to finish paint."

Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound vs. Menzerna FG400 Fast Gloss Compound

Post Thanks / Like

D300 is a really unique compound. Very wet, and very easy to use. The wetness seems to keep the abraded paint from attaching to the abrasives, so it can continue cutting. It actually reminds me a lot of Ultimate Compound.

Nothing I've used dusts less than D300 though.

6. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    D300 is a really unique compound. Very wet, and very easy to use. The wetness seems to keep the abraded paint from attaching to the abrasives, so it can continue cutting. It actually reminds me a lot of Ultimate Compound.

Nothing I've used dusts less than D300 though.
    That last point is a good point, thank you for that

Post Thanks / Like

I had mentioned in a text that D300 is a great compound that finishes really well yet is cost friendly at $19.99 for 16 oz's. If it's working for you then I would just stick with it.

As I mentioned in our texts back in forth but I do like Sonax Cut max. The time I used it, I had little to no dusting from using it with a foam cutting pad. Th little to no dusting is one thing I like about the Sonax polishes. It's available in an 8.5 oz bottle if you would like to try it. If you do then they have a 32 oz bottle for $49.99. I believe Cut Max is DAT compared to D300 which is SMAT.

It is good. I picked up a bottle last time and it worked really well on the hood of my car as I was testing it out. It did dust a tiny bit more than D300 but it did a good job on hard paint. I was surprised at how well it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I just ordered the new CarPro's compound a couple days ago. I've definitely got a vehicle to test it out on. I'm sure I'll end up using it on a Flash pad.
    I think you will like it. I got good results on my 02 Camaro that has hard paint using it on a Rupes green pad. It finished out good and had a pretty good working time.

9. Likes DetailTrail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Clear Cut. Hands down a game changer for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

11. Likes DetailTrail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Since I only do my own vehicles and always baby them, I really have not had the chance to try out too many true compounds.

I've used Megs UC a few times. Worked Ok. But my wife went through the swirl-o-matic earlier this spring (Don't ask...Lol) and I used Griots Fast Correcting Cream to get rid of the nasty swirls incurred from that.

I found it to work very well. Almost zero dusting, had a great working time, and removed pretty easily. Finished down just like a polish. IMO

It's not as cost friendly as the Megs, but for me, the Griots will probably last me forever.
    I had good luck with the regular correction creme I liked it alot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jolo View Post
    How about Menzerna FG400?
    Is it not getting a little dated now? These newer polishes are using better abrasives then the diminishing abrasive they use in fg400? I don't know if its been updated but I think I would rather have something with sub micron abrasives or nano or smat?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast