autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions on FK1000P/Questions about the lingering effects of using ceri-glass

FK1000P:

Recently had an interesting experience with FK1000P, which I'm very curious about. I washed, removed water spots, clayed, polished my car, and followed it up with an IPA wipedown. I applied a beautifully thin layer of FK1000P to the car, and left it about 30 minutes, and it buffed off as clean as you would expect anything to.

During the following week I noticed my hood/roof/trunk lid were basically not beading at all, while the sides of my car were mostly fine. I finally decided to rinse the car off before pulling it into the garage to wash it using ONR, and the hood/roof were both behaving as though nothing had ever been applied (they also had developed water spots.) I thought it could've been the massive amount of pollen clogging the LSP after being rained on, so I backed the car out after washing and drying it, and absolutely no change in water behavior from the hose.

Is that normal? I've never encountered anything like that from a LSP, even D156 can withstand that kind of abuse lol.

After this I recently re-applied FK1000P and it seems to be holding up just fine, but it was still a very peculiar experience. The second time around I also had issues with horrible "smearing" even though I tried to apply it as thinly as possible. Which always means enduring a very grabby applicator in the hopes of applying it so thin I can hardly see it.

After effects of ceriglass:

I recently polished my windshield pretty intensely with ceriglass to remove my wiper scratches, 2.5-3 hours worth of work. Since then I've noticed absolutely nothing has been lasting on the windshield like it used to. I'd normally just wash and maintain it with D156 but that's just not working now. It seems like it's shedding whatever the heck I put on it now.

Thoughts on that? Should I just invest in something like a glass sealant/coating after going over it again? (just by hand to remove the film of waterspots this time.. not gonna torture myself with my polisher again lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on FK1000P/Questions about the lingering effects of using ceri-glass

As I recall FK 1000P did not bead it sheeted the water off. Sounds like it's behaving the way it is supposed to.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on FK1000P/Questions about the lingering effects of using ceri-glass

I had that happen with an other LSP Ultima paint guard plus the old version. The only thing that I could think of was the time went on to fast as useally and got late. The dew came right after applyied and maybe when applying too. And I worked outside and it's parked outside too. It where like it's was not any lsp applyied the next wash. It was not so warm outside either. Very strange experience and has worked great after this when applyied in right conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Questions on FK1000P/Questions about the lingering effects of using ceri-glass

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    As I recall FK 1000P did not bead it sheeted the water off. Sounds like it's behaving the way it is supposed to.
    I don’t mean to say that it wasn’t beading aggressively, I didn’t really expect it to.

What I’m saying is that the horizontal surfaces, most notably the hood, exhibited 0 LSP properties. The sheet of water just clung to the paint as if nothing had ever been applied. It was -very- peculiar to see it happen.

What does come to mind is that, I had applied PBL paint coating (it for whatever reason washed away - I plan to try again on an isolated panel sometime) and after that failed I had to fix what had happened.

Perhaps polish+ on a megs yellow pad wasn’t enough bite to polish off whatever was remaining on the surface, but that seems unlikely, so idk.

Maybe it was just a one time thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I had that happen with an other LSP Ultima paint guard plus the old version. The only thing that I could think of was the time went on to fast as useally and got late. The dew came right after applyied and maybe when applying too. And I worked outside and it's parked outside too. It where like it's was not any lsp applyied the next wash. It was not so warm outside either. Very strange experience and has worked great after this when applyied in right conditions.
    That’s possible. The weather was pretty favorable from what I remember, but I guess dew could’ve been that detrimental to the set up process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it on the same car both pinnacle coating and fk1000p failed? What kind of car is it and is it clearcoat or single stage paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Was it on the same car both pinnacle coating and fk1000p failed? What kind of car is it and is it clearcoat or single stage paint?
    It's just a 2012 altima, nothing fancy.

Yep. I'm not entirely sure what happened with either one, but I plan on trying again with the pinnacle coating on an isolated panel to see what happens. I'll probably try it on my trunk lid. With the coating I -think- it could've been the effort needed to buff away the residue. Even using a spray or two more than I imagine I needed, the stuff flashes super freaking quick, so by time i'd finally spread it around and went to buff it off it was pretty hard to level. It could've been ambient temp, humidity.. really anything I guess, but I still have plenty leftover to keep playing with it.