autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for advice on a new routine

Hi everyone. As I mentioned in my introductory post from earlier this week, I am back in the detailing fold after a several year hiatus. Since then, the car has changed, but the challenges remain the same. I live in a neighborhood that consists of duplexes built as two-unit apartments. The development is under management, and they care for the landscaping. They also have strict guidelines about what we can and cannot do on our rental property. For example:

• Although there is a tap for a hose, the water is turned off at the source. Tenants are not able or permitted to use a hose for any reason.
    • Due to groundwater contamination concerns, we are not permitted to perform vehicle maintenance in our driveway. Technically, this includes car washes. However, if I can prove the products I use are eco-friendly, they will grant an exception.
    • Due to noise restrictions, paint correction with a DA polisher is prohibited.

Given the rules, I will stick to waterless or rinse-less washes. I can wax my car by hand, but not with a DA. And forget about paint correction, so I need to prevent swirls as much as possible. My initial plan is to perform weekly or as-needed rinse-less washes. I do not drive very often, however, my car does sit outside, and pollen is heavy, so weekly washes seem likely. My preference leans towards rinse-less washes and I am eyeing up WG Uber as my go-to. Where I could use advice is on everything else.

The vehicle is a 2018 VW GTI in dark blue iron metallic.

• I am obsessive about keeping my wheels and tires clean. What are some good suggestions for products that are easy to use, eco-friendly, and will make weekly cleanings easier?
    • What would be a good routine for paint protection after a rinse-less wash? Again, looking for eco-friendly suggestions with good hydrophobic properties.
    • Anything I am missing?

Peace and hair grease, kids!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for advice on a new routine

Coat the wheels and use left over rinseless solution to clean. Get some dedicated wheel microfiber towels.

3. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely sounds like rinseless/waterless is the way to go.

I'm 100% rinseless/waterless with my vehicles. If they are too dirty for a rinseless wash, I will give them a quick spray at the coin-op carwash.

As mentioned above, definitely coat the wheels. Would make cleanup much easier.

5. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, folks. Coating the wheels sounds like a splendid idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJackson8 View Post
    Definitely sounds like rinseless/waterless is the way to go.

I'm 100% rinseless/waterless with my vehicles. If they are too dirty for a rinseless wash, I will give them a quick spray at the coin-op carwash.

As mentioned above, definitely coat the wheels. Would make cleanup much easier.
    I used to do the same coin-op deal with my Mustang. I was always nervous about using ONR if the dirt was heavier than a light coating of dust. The pollen is the worst, they are like mini throwing stars.

Problem was driving home from the coin-op in the dead of summer, the car would get super hot very quickly. Waterless wash and wax is a pain when the panels are smoking hot.

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't need to paint correctmore than once a year, so for that time go to a friend's place. Coat the car, or use a good sealant. Then onr. If thecar is really dirty go to a spray n wash first and rinse the dirt off then onr.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

9. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJackson8 View Post
    This is what I did when I lived in an apartment. If anything more than light dust I would drive to the coin-op to rinse first. Sounds like it might be a bit far for you to do so without getting the car too hot. If you can do it earlier in the morning or late afternoon maybe it won't get hot?

11. Thanks mightypudge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even Cuba has more freedom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidAl View Post
    Even Cuba has more freedom.

LOL. When I read through the 'reasons' why they didn't allow various maintenance work all I could hear was between the lines 'we only want people living here who appear to have enough money to pay other people to work on their cars.'

But, it's the OP's right to live where he wants.

OP, I've lived in a couple places where people used to gather at a local park to clean up their cars on the weekend. Anything like that around. Maybe check with local car clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    LOL. When I read through the 'reasons' why they didn't allow various maintenance work all I could hear was between the lines 'we only want people living here who appear to have enough money to pay other people to work on their cars.'

But, it's the OP's right to live where he wants.

OP, I've lived in a couple places where people used to gather at a local park to clean up their cars on the weekend. Anything like that around. Maybe check with local car clubs.
    Quite the contrary. I live in a relatively low income neighborhood. If I had the money, I wouldn’t live where I can’t wash my own cars. That much is certain.

I have a friend that said I can use his property to perform paint correction on my car, provided I work on his as well. Seems a fair trade off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast