autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country SDO vs Thin Pro

I use a gg6 with a 5" plate. What is the difference in the SDO and the thin pro pads. They both are evenly priced andseem evenly matched only one has a center hole for heat.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country SDO vs Thin Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    I use a gg6 with a 5" plate. What is the difference in the SDO and the thin pro pads. They both are evenly priced andseem evenly matched only one has a center hole for heat.
    SDO pads are thicker. You'll get better pad rotation with the Thin Pro pads on the GG6.

HDO & SDO pads were originally designed for long throw machines.

3. Thanks Coopers ST thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

SDO pads are great. They work fantastic on long-throw and 8mm polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    SDO pads are great. They work fantastic on long-throw and 8mm polishers.
    Which would you choose if you had to pick one type for a GG6, mwoywod?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes caddyjack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a hard choice. Probably the SDO pads. They're a little bit thinner/lighter than the uro-tecs and thinner than the LC HDO pads because they don't have the rubber interface. The reason I prefer them to thin-pro pads is because of the center cooling chamber. Plus, the SDO pads are an excellent value.

I do like the orange thin-pro pad and the megs maroon thin foam pads BUT IMO the GG6 has enough power that it can handle the ever so slightly thicker foam of the SDO pads while still getting the advantage of increased pad rotation on contoured panels. The SDO pads are also provide a much smoother buffing experience than thin-pro pads.

That's all just my opinion/experience.

8. Thanks PaulMys, Coopers ST thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, FrankS, Coopers ST, KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    That's a hard choice. Probably the SDO pads. They're a little bit thinner/lighter than the uro-tecs and thinner than the LC HDO pads because they don't have the rubber interface. The reason I prefer them to thin-pro pads is because of the center cooling chamber. Plus, the SDO pads are an excellent value.

I do like the orange thin-pro pad and the megs maroon thin foam pads BUT IMO the GG6 has enough power that it can handle the ever so slightly thicker foam of the SDO pads while still getting the advantage of increased pad rotation on contoured panels. The SDO pads are also provide a much smoother buffing experience than thin-pro pads.

That's all just my opinion/experience.
    Very cool to hear your opinion. I'm in the process of stocking up on some thinner pads. I have some thin-pros already. I will be looking to grab some SDO's now as well.

Thanks, brother......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Thanks Coopers ST thanked for this post
    Likes mwoywod, Coopers ST liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used both and while they work well, they don't offer the same correcting ability as microfiber. I will very likelly switch to microfiber for all compounding and only keep foam for polishing and finishing. I tried the HDO on a rotary and was very underwelmed with the correcting ability. Microfiber is a large step above in terms of damage removal, I have seen it do what I can almost describe as miracles compared to foam. I had very high hopes for the thinpro, I was expecting correcting ability close to what microfiber can deliver but they simply are outmatched.

For polishing, it's very hard to say. I would have to run tests using the same product and technique to compare them. Since polishing doesn't remove damage, it's hard to say one is much better than the others. On a GG6, the thinpro might give you better results, but I am not sure. My suggestion would be to order one and try it out. It will really come to a matter of how you feel about using them. They behave differently, so either you will like them or not.

Before using Lake Country pads, I was using buff and shine pads. Loved them. Only issue is that they are not compatible with the backplate of my Rupes polisher and the machine was throwing them off the backplate and across the room when I lifted the machine off the paint. I got scared it would do that at a moment I was not paying full attention and I would put the bare backplate on the paint, destroying the paint in the process. You should give B&S flatpads a try too, they are pretty awesome.

12. Likes Coopers ST, PaulMys liked this post