autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

wax (collinite 476S) over HDSpeed ??

Going to rip a page out of Mike Phillips book on personal questions (PM's). I Got a PM today asking about wax over HD Speed. I figured I'd take the PM and post it as a thread. This does several things, it opens the topic up for discussion, it allows everyone on the forum to chime in and offer differing opinions and thoughts, and it gives the OP a chance to chime in and ask more questions.

I have a question if you could please help -

Got the fiancees BMW all cleaned and finally no waterspots using washes, 3M clay, wash again, IPA and HD polish.

I have invested in HD Speed and Collinite 476S wax. Now reading so much about HD Speed / HD Poly (and i gots no Poly).....Gotta ask for your expertise before i go ahead....I can HD Speed and then put multiple coats of the Collinite 476S over that right?????
    I have used HD Speed quite often. HD Speed is an All-In-One made up of HD Polish & HD Poxy. Proxy is the sealant part of Speed. It is quite fine to go back over a vehicle that has been corrected with HD Speed with a wax or sealant. As a matter of choice, I would say 476 is an excellent choice and have done it myself on several occasions. As far as multiple coats, you may find one coat of 476 more than adequate. I'll leave that for others to discuss.

2. Likes PaulMys, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: wax (collinite 476S) over HDSpeed ??

I say not to get caught up in marketing hype. 476s is a competent product that will play well over Speed. End of story. I have no clue about Poxy. Just make sure the 476s is applied very thin, thin, thin.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very timely thread. I am getting ready to place an order and have Poxy and Colinite in my box though only one will get ordered. Like this post, it's going to go over Speed most of the time.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Poxy should look better. Collinite should still look good and last much longer (at least from my experience using them as standalone... YMMV).

Post Thanks / Like

If you polish with HD Polish I would apply collinite 476s after that. It's a very strong wax on it's own.

Post Thanks / Like

Was never a fan of poxy (although it works great on pebbled plastic trim) and I'm a huge fan of most 3D products. Definitely go with the collinite. Like others have said, apply it as thin as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Was never a fan of poxy (although it works great on pebbled plastic trim) and I'm a huge fan of most 3D products. Definitely go with the collinite. Like others have said, apply it as thin as possible.
    What are your issues with Poxy?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I like everything about Poxy, besides longevity. Price, ease of use, removal, and the gloss/pop is quite amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll make a comment only because I'm know you're a neighbor about 25 miles north of you. I love Collinite products. I've used 845, 476, and 915. Love them. Except one thing....when the ambient temperature gets up around 105*, even on a car in the garage, it became a gooey mess for me. I used them for years, apply very thin, but when the air is hot (AZ) it was a problem for me to work with. I had the same problem with Optimum Car Wax. I understand that you are a professional and I'm just a weekend enthusiast, but those are my experiences. I never had anything but GREAT results Sept to April. I'm all SIO2 and Sealants now.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone - much appreciate the help.

And now I have learned the hard way that with this Collinite 476S ....."thin, thin, thin" is better than "thin" and "thin, thin". Yes, I got schooled.

Not to make this endless but ....

Now that I have 2 coats of 476 on there, just as I was previously hunting for advice on compatibility of 476 over HDspeed....I assume the good quick detailers (like Mequires UQD, 303 QD w/UV) are the way to protect this wax??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast