autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Cover Dilemma...

Ok folks, so a bit of a dilemma I'm seeking some advice for. I don't have a garage or carport at home (and can't build one, long story, but relates to permitting). I have a 1967 Camaro that was repainted about 5 years ago with two stage paint. Not my daily driver, maybe once a week.

I had been renting an indoor parking spot at a local car storage facility for the 67, but they're closing it up. So now I've got no indoor parking available for it, so I'm leaving it in my driveway. Looking for a garage to rent nearby, but so far no luck.

Since it sits out in the sun and elements all day, I decided to get a custom fit car cover for it (California Car Cover). It fits great, but it is definitely leading to some swirl marks. Even if I clean the car before putting the cover on, dust inevitably gets up in there, and when the cover flaps around in the wind, small swirls start to appear. I even tested a spot that I polished, then covered immediately and left the car sitting for about 8 days, and when I uncovered it a handful of small swirls were there...

So here's my question: I don't have a viable indoor parking option available, should I keep the cover on, or let the car sit out in the sun and elements all day? If I stick with the cover, anything I can / should do to minimize marring? This clear coat seems super soft. Would adding a clearbra make it less susceptible to this kind of marring perhaps?

Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

HAMBO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Cover Dilemma...

My vote is to make sure the paint is coated or waxed and the interior is detailed with something with UV protectant and then roll with no car cover and a sun shade in the front window. Why? I've had a few folks bring me their cars proudly stating that they use a car cover. Typically, these cars have the worst paint condition of anything I see.

Just one opinion,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy bought a 2004 Ford lightning back in like 2008. 12k miles, garage kept, never modified in any way.. nearly pristine paint (had 1 fisheye.)

I learned a lot of the early stuff I know about detailing while I worked with him, and he kept a cover on that truck 99% of the time and never even seemed to be even slightly worried about having it mar the finish. I also don’t recall ever seeing any marring whatsoever.

Couple of things I can remember off the top of my head;

- His cover had places to secure it along the bottom that ran under the car so it would be less prone to wind causing it to billow and flap around, not that it really could’ve anyway because of how perfect it fit the truck. If I’m not mistaken it had to points to secure it, one behind the front tires and one in front of the rear ones.

- He was obsessive about taking it off and putting it on the same way every time he took it off/put it back on. More often than not if the cover came off for any appreciable amount of time he’d wash it quickly before putting it back on.

I’m not really a car cover expert, but based on how particular he is (more than me... which is impressive) and the fact he had no fear using one, I’ve always accepted that if it’s a good cover, and you’re meticulous about putting it on/off and weary of any contaminants settling onto the paint or inside the cover.

But maybe in the end it would be easier to just use something like optimum car wax for the UV protection and just leave it without. If it was me that’s what I would do, mostly because a car cover seems like a lot of work and I’m very lazy... lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a dilemma you have, and about the best obvious advice I can give would of course be to seek out another sheltered storage facility.
    That's going to offer the very best protection in all instances that no car cover, or coating can give.

Tie downs on a cover might help minimize billowing, but surely won't eliminate it to the point of paint marring not eventually occurring.
    Gust Guard Tie Downs can be used that easily clamp to the lower Hem, but sometimes that can also place some stresses on the Cover in high winds.

I myself faced this problem for a number of years in Southern New Mexico, horrible high winds often, blistering heat, horrible dusts from not only the ground (brown) but as well living a few miles east of the largest Gypsum Field on the planet, White Sands National Monument-Missile Range. The white particulates were highly abrasive in nature. I only had a Car Port for protection. (Pictured in my Avatar)

My TOTL Covercraft Weathershield HD Cover is very durable, but is also probably the least paint friendly of all their Covers made. I noted marring occurring at wherever there were stitched Seams mostly.

I did coat the vehicle with Carpro CQuartz UK, and this did help considerably lessen marring, even that this vehicle had a relatively hard paint. In your instance, and due to the fact you claim your Camaro's Paint is relatively soft, I'd definitely consider applying such a coating regardless of your storage and protection options.

One wild card with the use of the cover or not, is possible worry of hail damage. That any car cover made will offer very little protection against quarter sized Hail. The other worries of parking outside is possible theft, and vandalism.

Sorry I cannot be of much help in your situation, hope you have not minded my comments.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to think about also is that (this may depend the type of cover) UV radiation can still make it through the cover.

I noticed this the other day when doing fiberglass travel trailer the the owner keeps covered. The sunny side had much more oxidation and fading.

Maybe he just had a cheap cover and some protection is better than none, but just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO:
    •I’d park it with a cover on it—and not
    touch/drive it—until I had secured
    another indoor parking location. (Fewer
    chances of instilling swirls, upon swirls,
    upon swirls,that way.)

-Even if a couple of swirls would result from
    doing so, they can easily be removed—(you
    did say the CC was “super soft”)—once the
    vehicle has been relocated indoors.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Cover it. No sealant or coating or interior protectant will keep UV rays from fading the paint and interior over time. It's like sun screen, you put it on but you still get some tan over time if you are out in the sun day after day. Nothing protects better than a shirt and hat.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

My truck is covered as it is the least of the evils. I bought a bunch of lashing straps to secure the cover from flopping around along with the gust guards. The truck stays a lot cleaner since using the lashing straps. When the cover is removed I take it from the front all the way to the back never allowing the vehicle side to touch the dirty side then fold or roll it up. At least when it rains now I do not have to run out and dry it off before spotting would be a problem.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Curious, has anyone experimented with putting blankets on the hood / trunk under the cover? Would that eliminate some of the friction perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waelwell View Post
    My vote is to make sure the paint is coated or waxed and the interior is detailed with something with UV protectant and then roll with no car cover and a sun shade in the front window. Why? I've had a few folks bring me their cars proudly stating that they use a car cover. Typically, these cars have the worst paint condition of anything I see.

Just one opinion,

Bill
    I agree that the best you can do for paint that swirls when covered is to protect it and look for indoor parking in the process. I would also consider tinting the windows if they are not already tinted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast