autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How much Product will it take? (Newbee here)

Hello all,
    I'm new to this and recently purchased a DA polisher to use on my truck. I am putting together an order as we speak and was wondering how much product will it take to get the job done. I am planning on using M105 and 205 with some Lake Country CCS 5.5 inch pads to get the job done. I want to buy enough for this job but don't want to over buy too much as I'm on a bit of a budget. I will use a wax as well. The truck is a full size extended cab Silverado. My cart thus far is as follows:
    2ea Orange, White and black pads.
    Some pad cleaner and brush
    1ea 3.5" in orange White and Black as well with proper backing plate.

Will 8oz of each product be enough or will it take more.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much Product will it take? (Newbee here)

There are far smarter and more experienced people here but my two cents for this is....

If you’re on a budget, consider a good AIO (all in one) like HD Speed. I’ve used it and it’s a great product and will take care of all your needs unless your truck is reeeeeally in need of a deep correction. If you go that direction then a half dozen of either the orange or the white pads should do the trick. With as much paint real estate as you have on that truck, limiting the number of steps would be a big time (and body) saver.

Good luck and have fun (and post pics).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97zman View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm new to this and recently purchased a DA polisher to use on my truck. I am putting together an order as we speak and was wondering how much product will it take to get the job done. I am planning on using M105 and 205 with some Lake Country CCS 5.5 inch pads to get the job done. I want to buy enough for this job but don't want to over buy too much as I'm on a bit of a budget. I will use a wax as well. The truck is a full size extended cab Silverado. My cart thus far is as follows:

Thanks
    1st off Welcome to AGO! Based on what you are doing; IMO your PAD choices need to be changed. I would get MORE Orange Pads and White Pads. You will need at least 4 to 6 Orange Pads and 4 to 6 White Pads. Based on your truck size 6 would be best. Skip the Pad Cleaner and brush as you can clean that with a bucket of Hot water and dish washing soap. Use that money to buy more pads.

8oz of each product is more than enough.
    Lake Country CCS pads are great pads. You will probably need 1 Black or 2 Pads at the most as that is for the final step. As for the 3.5" Pads, my GUESS you have a PC7424 XP or a GG 6" or even a Harbor Freight. If it were me, skip that part too!
    Get used to your DA 1st. Your truck is huge and you will need to learn TECHNIQUE 1st. You don't have to apply too much pressure with the DA. Let the PRODUCT DO THE WORK. 5 to 10 pounds of pressure is all you need. After priming your pad; a little product goes a long way about 3 pea size drops per panel is all you need. Additionally, changing your pads will help get the job done quicker. Pad saturation is the enemy!..LOL TECHNIQUE is the most important part of using a DA IN MY OPINION. Others will disagree, however, that is what I think.

But you ill get many other opinions, however, from what I have learned this is the way I would do it. But MOST OF ALL, Have Fun and Pics when you are done!

If you really want to know more get one of Mike Phillips Books on how to. That will help you a lot!

Again, welcome to AGO!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Looks like I need to make some changes to my order.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree you don't have near enough pads. One black will be ok, depending on the condition of the paint you may need two compound pads per panel. Knowing the budget thing, I would get four and clean on the fly and keep rotating them. Probably four polish pads also. The real problem is you won't know till you do test spots.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely need more pads. Here's an article by Mike Phillips about the number of pads you need--- http://http://www.autogeekonline.net...ut-my-car.html

Also, there are allot more modern polishes that are much more effective and user/beginner friendly --- a good example would be the Griots Boss Twins--Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream.

The new twins!

If you want to save some $$$$ get a "Denture Cleaning Brush" at the dollar store to clean pads on the fly and use some Awesome Orange from the dollar store to clean pads after you're done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97zman View Post
    Hello all,

Thanks
    What DA did you purchase? Be sure to have the correct backing plate to use 5 inch pads.

M205 is a nice polish. I use it form time to time as well. It's affordable and versatile. M105 I would not consider. I would look into something more user friendly yet performs just as good if not better.

In saying that I would recommend looking at Sonax's polishes. User friendly, good performance and virtually no dusting. The 8 oz sizes go a long way. They cost a little more but they perform great.

SONAX CutMax Cutting Compound 250 ml.

SONAX EX 04-06 250 ml.

Consider a sealant over a wax as they are more durable. There are plenty of options available. Which product are you looking to use?

Check out this article by Mike on the number of pads needed.

How many pads do I need to buff out my car?

This is a great product to clean pads

Poorboy?s World Tornado Pad Cleaner

Typical pad brush

Foam Pad Conditioning Brush cleans and reconditions foam and wool pads on the buffer. remove excess caked wax and polish from buffing pads.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More pads than you think and way less product than you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    a good example would be the Griots Boss Twins--Fast Correnting Cream and Finishing Cream.
    I think you meant to say Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream? I don’t think you meant Finishing Sealant, at least I know I wouldn’t recommend it for a daily driver.

@OP. I agree with the rest of the advice, you’ll need more pads and only 1 black pad. Also, why CSS pads? If I were you I’d go with LC Flat Foam Pads instead.

Ditch the pad cleaner, you won’t need it if you’re working with M105 & M205, plain tap water from the sink will get your pads clean as long as you clean them within the 1st night of using them. Do get the pad brush, as you’ll need that to clean your pads on the fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I think you meant to say Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream?
    Oops--thanks for catching the mistake--I meant Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream.

12. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast