autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping AIO’s with Sealant - Basic test

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

That said, I'm not a fan of coatings. If they were truly maintenance-free afterward, maybe. But having to maintain the initially $$ product with more $$ products does not jibe with me. JMHO....
    I'm pretty new at this, but I kinda agree, even though I've purchased CQUK 3.0 (didn't use yet) and Reload.
    Just curious, what do you use then, just wax I'm assuming. I've used the Collinite 845 and like it pretty well. Use Ech2o and the Ech2o/Reload mixture on top of that which worked pretty well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Do the sealant seal in the filling the AIO has till it's done?
    And do you get the same longevity from the topped sealant as with a sealant applyied on bare paint?
    Do you have any done cars coming back and about how long does it takes or do you have a regualar maintance schedule with customer?
    Lets say that you use an AIO and compare it to the polish of the same brand. You use the same pads. Does the polish abrade so much more clearcoat that in the longrun you came to the point where it's not longer safe to polish/remove more clearcoat? Cause the d166 seems to have a good cut to be an AIO.

And this is just for me to get experience from you. And not trying to convince you to change your mind.
    Many of my customers bring me their cars every 6 months and depending on budget I'll almost always use HD Speed with a white polishing pad to deep clean the paint from any road grime or traffic film that wasn't removed during the washing or claying process and to bring out incredible gloss. I then always apply a paint sealant. I've never had an issue where the paint sealant only lasting a few weeks because it wasn't able to properly bond over HD Speed BUT someone else in this thread I believe said they DID have an issue when they applied WGDGPS over an AIO where the water behavior of WGDGPS was virtually non-existent after a month.

Polish doesn't necessarily remove more clearcoat than an AIO. If you use HD Speed with the exact same pad, machine, speed, pressure, passes, etc as you do with HD Polish+ you'll be removing roughly the same amount of clear coat.

3. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h8dirtycars View Post
    I'm pretty new at this, but I kinda agree, even though I've purchased CQUK 3.0 (didn't use yet) and Reload.
    Just curious, what do you use then, just wax I'm assuming. I've used the Collinite 845 and like it pretty well. Use Ech2o and the Ech2o/Reload mixture on top of that which worked pretty well for me.
    I use Speed to knock out my light blemishes, then either 845, or 476s. The Speed provides incredible gloss/slickness, and topped with either of the Collinite brothers, I can easily get 6 months (until I correct again) here in NY.

When I use up most of the Collinite, I want to try HD Poxy as well.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Paul.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h8dirtycars View Post
    Thanks, Paul.

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Many of my customers bring me their cars every 6 months and depending on budget I'll almost always use HD Speed with a white polishing pad to deep clean the paint from any road grime or traffic film that wasn't removed during the washing or claying process and to bring out incredible gloss. I then always apply a paint sealant. I've never had an issue where the paint sealant only lasting a few weeks because it wasn't able to properly bond over HD Speed BUT someone else in this thread I believe said they DID have an issue when they applied WGDGPS over an AIO where the water behavior of WGDGPS was virtually non-existent after a month.

Polish doesn't necessarily remove more clearcoat than an AIO. If you use HD Speed with the exact same pad, machine, speed, pressure, passes, etc as you do with HD Polish+ you'll be removing roughly the same amount of clear coat.
    Thanks for shareing your experience!

I see the benefit of an AIO to clean the paint. And it's great if a sealant can get the 6 months longevity on top of Speed.

That's a thing I have been wondering about how a water based polish cleans the paint. The old and some of the polish that is solvent based maybe cleaned it better. When doing a one step polish there could be a better result with a AIO which is often both chemical cleaners and fine abrasives in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone see any specific worry’s about PBL sealant (resin-based) on top of Speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Ok it’s been exactly 2 months and things aren’t what they should be... I did the 1st bucket wash in a while, possibly the 1st actual bucket wash since the beginning of this test and check it out. [washed with Megs Hyper Wash]

This is post wash.

Prior to this wash, the car had only been touched twice.
    1st time was a normL waterless wash w/WG Uber about a week after the start of the test.

2nd time was a waterless wash w/Uber following a pre rinse with the hose nozzle to knock off the majority of the dirt before the waterless wipedown.

The 2nd wipedown mentioned here^ was about 3 weeks ago and I did notice a dramatic lack of beading/proper water behavior on both trunk and the hood... But I didn’t pay much attention since the car had just been parked and not driven for about 5 straight weeks.

I’ll have to test this again just to make sure it’s not a fluke, but I’ve never seen my paint just go dead like this after just 8 weeks.

10. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes RippyD, GEM65, SWETM, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I missed this thread - working too much. Excellent post and nice test you have going. Looking forward to seeing how the how the follow up goes.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

12. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for doing this Eldo. Your conclusion is exactly what I expected. In my experience sealants and waxes are short lived benefits. They look good for about a month for me. I don't have that much time to constantly be reapplying. I like to polish before I reapply, which for me takes too long.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast