autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping AIO’s with Sealant - Basic test

Quote Originally Posted by joleyred View Post
    Thanks for doing this Eldo. Your conclusion is exactly what I expected. In my experience sealants and waxes are short lived benefits. They look good for about a month for me. I don't have that much time to constantly be reapplying. I like to polish before I reapply, which for me takes too long.
    Some sealants will easily go 6 months in terms of repelling water. If you want to keep the shine it's pretty easy to apply a spray wax or QD while drying ever 3-4 weeks.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Intresting conclusions. You wrote that you may have overworked the AIO. Do you think that could played a part in the longevity got on the early failure?

Sorry I misunderstood that it was pictures of the after wash.
    I wouldn’t describe it as overworked to the point of even nearing any sort of negative effect. I’m not 1 of those dudes who’s polishing cycle lasts 2-3 or even an insane 5min. I’ve seen some dudes go for on youtube. I’m practically yelling at the screen by then like “dude what the hell are you doing? Stop the polisher already!” Lol.

My buffing cycles are as short as can be.

3. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I never considered using an aio as a first step. For me, the whole point of the aio is to save time. However, after reading your logic behind the test i'm glad you did it. I still probably sit in the camp of polish then seal/wax and not aio then seal.

I'll also disagree with the poster stating he only gets a month or 2 from a sealant. I've used mostly menzerna power lock and get an easy 6 months even on outdoor vehicles.

I guess my only other thought after reading most of this thread... and mind you I'm an engineer so I'm a little anal about "tests", but I don't think your test subject was a fair choice. And maybe it was your only option, but I do think it's fair to point out you're applying products to a panel that is failing and not failing uniformly either. An obvious solution would be to try this test on a car with a relatively new and well kept clear coat. just my .02. thanks again for doing this.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

I think I was missing your main point when I made my statement about wax/ sealant life. I realize you are looking at this from a different way than just that. I have only used AIO once, and I can't say I'm sold on it. I love the idea and I just used Essence on my RV with good initial results. I would like to top it with Reload and hope for a few months protection. Thanks for your efforts on this, nice job.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I wouldn’t describe it as overworked to the point of even nearing any sort of negative effect. I’m not 1 of those dudes who’s polishing cycle lasts 2-3 or even an insane 5min. I’ve seen some dudes go for on youtube. I’m practically yelling at the screen by then like “dude what the hell are you doing? Stop the polisher already!” Lol.

My buffing cycles are as short as can be.
    I was just checking. I'm with you on the passes per sections some do is way more than needed. Something to have in mind when overwork polishes. Is when the polishing oils dries up on you the lubrication of your pad is gone too. It's like polish with only the pad almost and no polish on it. Just a note to those who is reading. And the thoughts on overwork polishes. It's better to stop before and in the cycle of passes. Then clean the pad and reload the polish and do one more set if needed.

Intresting how your test goes. And thanks for shareing it.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I wouldn’t describe it as overworked to the point of even nearing any sort of negative effect. I’m not 1 of those dudes who’s polishing cycle lasts 2-3 or even an insane 5min. I’ve seen some dudes go for on youtube.
    I'm pretty sure I go longer that 2 minutes! I knew I was taking long!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I'm pretty sure I go longer that 2 minutes! I knew I was taking long!
    Is this time spent during the entire 2’x2’ polish section? If so, I may be around 2 mins max. Probably not necessary but it’s hard to resist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Is this time spent during the entire 2’x2’ polish section? If so, I may be around 2 mins max. Probably not necessary but it’s hard to resist.
    Maybe. I'll have to go back and check some videos I have of me doing a spot.

Post Thanks / Like

1st of all awesome and fun thread! Thank you!

I have found thru the years that if I wanted to top an AIO with a sealant that synergy usually worked.. The old BF Total polish and seal would be rather durable with BFWD on top of it. Same with Optimum Poli Seal and OPT Car Wax. When I started mixing and matching, it actually was less durable than a stand alone of either the AIO or sealant.

Now when topping with a Nuba paste, it always seemed more durable. Not sure why but my guess is the solvents and emulisifiers in the Nuba actually removed the protective properties of the AIO.

Now the newer AIO's have pretty good durability compared to the AIO's of 10 years ago. I will say that for whatever reason if I go over any AIO now with Ultima Waterless Wash with Acrylic that the durability actually dramatically increases. I cant explain this as its only a WW but it does add rather good beading peoperties.

Now I will answer "why I top and AIO" Because I feel most AIO's now are actually easier to use than most polishes that we would use for a one step and really clean most paintwork rather good. Correction is pretty good on most AIO's for a one step. Most times I do not top an AIO unless its family of a friends.
    Jim

11. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You better hit that bad boy with a gloss meter, stick some tape on it, and do all manners of other tests before you determine that LSP is dead beading =\= protection after all, right?

Just kidding, of course.

Like a lot of others; I’m interested in whether or not something like 845 would fare better. It comes highly recommended as a combo from people, and anecdotally it’s seemed to be holding up well on my car thus far.

Cool thread though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast