autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping AIO’s with Sealant - Basic test

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Update: Ok it’s been exactly 2 months and things aren’t what they should be... I did the 1st bucket wash in a while, possibly the 1st actual bucket wash since the beginning of this test and check it out. [washed with Megs Hyper Wash]

This is post wash.

Prior to this wash, the car had only been touched twice.
    1st time was a normL waterless wash w/WG Uber about a week after the start of the test.

2nd time was a waterless wash w/Uber following a pre rinse with the hose nozzle to knock off the majority of the dirt before the waterless wipedown.

The 2nd wipedown mentioned here^ was about 3 weeks ago and I did notice a dramatic lack of beading/proper water behavior on both trunk and the hood... But I didn’t pay much attention since the car had just been parked and not driven for about 5 straight weeks.

I’ll have to test this again just to make sure it’s not a fluke, but I’ve never seen my paint just go dead like this after just 8 weeks.
    Wow.

That looks fairly conclusive.

2. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did it revive any water behavior after the wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joleyred View Post
    Thanks for doing this Eldo. Your conclusion is exactly what I expected. In my experience sealants and waxes are short lived benefits. They look good for about a month for me. I don't have that much time to constantly be reapplying. I like to polish before I reapply, which for me takes too long.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    No no my friend, I have to disagree with you on this 1.
    I went back and looked through my photos and was able to pinpoint exactly how this took place... After checking the time stamps of the photos I took during this test, I’m even more convinced that these poor results are in direct relation to the AIO’s screwing things up. Check it out.

Ok just for reference, this is what it looks like when condensation happens on a panel when I apply sealant. [right] Controlled section in the middle [bare paint on the thin center strip] Compared to a much lighter form of protection, in this case Megs D156 Synthetic Spray Sealant. [left] It’s like night & day. No doubt which side has more solid protection.

Now check this out.. I took this pic on May 13th [as you can see on the timestamp] just 3 days after starting this experiment. Look at the difference in the condensation.

Here’s a pic of the trunk.

That weak thin layer of condensation after just 3 days was the 1st red flag. So I grabbed the hose and was curious about the water behavior..

After hitting it with the shower setting on the nozzle. Keep in mind this is only 3 days into the test.

I knew at that moment something was off. That’s just not how it outta be..
    1st of all that’s way too much water to still be on the panel after a fierce shower from the nozzle. 2nd those beads aren’t what they should be, IMO they’re already at the point of nearly going limp and just flat out wierd looking.. Bottom line that’s way too much water sticking to the paint.

Here’s an example of what I’m used to seeing, and this is like almost 2 months in on a normL stand alone application of sealant with no toppers ever applied to the paint. The water beads good, but more importantly if there’s even a little bit of force behind it [i.e. the hose nozzle] it runs away from the paint and does it’s best to be gone aka water fearing. This panel would be nearly dry if the application wasn’t 2 months old, but even then it sheets a whole lot better than this current experiment at only 3 days into it.

Now lets fast fwrd. to June 3rd. This is just 25 days into the test, no rain, the car hadn’t even moved the whole time.. Just sitting outside parked 24/7. It’s kind of dirty/dusty so here’s the day I did a pre rinse prior to waterless that I described in my previous post.

Rinse.

Now check out the water behavior/beading and lack of sheeting. IMO those beads a total mess and are to the point of asking for trouble the way they’re just sitting on the paint. [they actually did in fact turn into water spots that are kind of visible at the moment]
    Also, notice the top section, which is McKee’s 360 AIO serving as the base layer has officially failed.

And on the trunk... Even more dramatic failure on the Griots panel, just 25 days in. [Griots Boss Finishing Sealant serving as the base on top. Megs D151 PRC serving as the base on the lower half of the panel]

I still want to run this test again just in case for some strange reason this is a fluke. [I highly doubt it as I was clinical in my application of all this]
    But so far all signs point to the AIO’s causing extreme detriment when used as a “polish” or base layer under a sealant that typically provides very strong and long lasting protection, easily going 5-6 months on its own.

This is what the beading Should look like. Not that mess you see in those test panels.

...Interesting results. I’m going to try this same test on a different vehicle soon.

5. Likes SWETM, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So conclusion is that the AIOs probably prevented proper bonding of sealant x in this testing instance.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to try the angelwax All in one that is coming out? There are some big claims for durability on that one as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Great content and really interesting to see real world results vs company claims of durability.

9. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping AIO’s with Sealant - Basic test

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Did it revive any water behavior after the wash?
    I took those/these pictures after the wash & rinse. I gave it it’s fare chance, but as we can see there was no return in sight.

Something I find interesting is that the top right/left corners of the hood appear to shed water compared to the main center of the panel, where the polishing was more focused on. I didn’t even run the polisher on the 2 top corners because the clearcoat is completely flaked off in those 2 areas and machine polishing over this would be an obvious mistake. I did apply sealant to those 2 areas though, because I applied by hand with a foam applicator.

And towards the front of the hood I naturally applied less effort/pressure the same way we sometimes tend to do when working on the lower halves of the doors. Natural laziness + I wasn’t removing any defects... Leads me to believe that the center section, where I would’ve naturally focused more effort, time, and energy and also resulted in a stronger more thorough bond of the AIO’s actually resulted in a greater negative result when it’s all said and done. At least that’s what I’m guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    So conclusion is that the AIOs probably prevented proper bonding of sealant x in this testing instance.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged75 View Post
    Are you going to try the angelwax All in one that is coming out? There are some big claims for durability on that one as well.

I’m not very familiar with Angel Wax line of products. My 1st thought was That you may have been referring to Polish Angel.. So no, I don’t think I’m going to be looking into it. TBO I can’t say this is a great surprise or disappointment because I’ve never put much worth into any AIO nor do I expect any brand to someday give you the world in a bottle. It’s just too good to be true. A quik re condition or quik fix for a flip or whatever the situation happens to be and an AIO can surely be ideal, but realistically I wouldn’t expect there to ever be an AIO that I would use on my personal vehicles. I’ll go far enough to say I’ll never use an AIO on the Kia. I wouldn’t even test them on that vehicle. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged75 View Post
    Great content and really interesting to see real world results vs company claims of durability.

Thank you! Appreciate it.

11. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, supercharged75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if a durable wax such as Collinite 845 would fare a lot better on top of the AIOs (based on many accounts from others and the fact that waxes typically do better as toppers).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I wonder if a durable wax such as Collinite 845 would fare a lot better on top of the AIOs (based on many accounts from others and the fact that waxes typically do better as toppers).
    It’s possible... Won’t know until you try. But there’s also the thing you have to keep in mind sometimes, and that’s that alot of times people describe what they’ve done or what they do on customers vehicles.. And while just about everything looks amazing just after completion, it doesn’t necessarily mean that 1-2 months down the line things are still rock solid A+. For all we/they know the protection has gone downhill. Anything can happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Intresting conclusions. You wrote that you may have overworked the AIO. Do you think that could played a part in the longevity got on the early failure?

Sorry I misunderstood that it was pictures of the after wash.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast