autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping AIO’s with Sealant - Basic test

I apologize for taking so long... It wasn’t my intention but it’s been kinda hectic these past few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    One question....why did you use the HF DA for this test?
    Just about all of my 7” pads are dirty, and I didn’t feel like switching backing plates on my G21, so I used the HF DA.

-Ok onto part Deux.

After laying down all 6 AIO’s I let them haze in the shade for almost 2hrs before removing them in the same order that they were applied. [with different towels of course]

-1st up for removal was Megs D166. This turned out to be the easiest and best removing product in the test. Very nice.

-HD Speed. Surprisingly this was a bit of trouble to remove. It seemed to have dried on the paint to the point that I couldn’t remove it all. I didn’t want to force the issue and risk removing it completely, nor did I want to contaminate the test panel by introducing a quik detailer to remove it, so I just did my best and left the bit that wouldn’t wipe off.

Here’s a pic of the area where HD Speed wouldn’t fully wipe off.

-Blackfire One Step. This wiped off a bit similar to HD Speed, but there was no issue getting it all off. It did dust just enough for me to make a note of it. Nothing crazy though..

-McKee’s 360. The wipe off of this was more similar to the Megs D166.

So far it’s 2 and 2 behaving similar... I’ll come back to that.

-Onto the trunk.

-Megs D151. Wiped off as expected. It’s just enough resistance to let you know you’re doing something, but it never fights you. Easy removal.

-Griots Boss Finishing Sealant. This was the worst removing product in the test. Very gummy. Slow to wipe off. It wasn’t dry though, and it didn’t have any issues fully removing from the paint.

Here’s a few shots after removing the AIO’s.

I posted this next pic earlier, but it was taken after removal of the products.

2. Thanks Maxreed241, mwoywod, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, dlc95, mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping AIO’s with Sealant - Basic test

Part 3. Topping with Sealant. Sealant was applied immediately after the last test panel was wiped off.

As far as which sealant I used for the test, I won’t disclose because it’s not sold by PBMG. For the sake of comparison it shouldn’t be too much different than McKee’s HI Def Paint Sealant, except this stuff is a WOWA in the truest form, so I applied it by hand via foam applicator.

[in case the 1 person who knows what it is happens to be reading this, please respect our convo and don’t guess what it is. Thx]

...Anyways, here’s where it gets interesting. 1st up,

-Megs D166. It was like hand & hand. Very easy application and removal. Just like normL.

-HD Speed. Compared to the D166 panel, it was like applying molasses. Somewhat sticky and slow to apply and remove. It removed the remaining HD Speed that wouldn’t wipe off on its own, just like I predicted it would.

-Blackfire One Step. Somewhat similar application as the HD Speed panel, but not as pronounced, but still noticeably sticky/grabby application/removal.

-McKee’s 360. Just like removal was similar to D166, once again, application and removal of the sealant was smooth on and smooth off, just like D166 panel.

-Megs D151. Application and removal was more in line with HD Speed and Blackfire panels, but not quite as potent. Almost as if it gave up the fight pretty soon into the application of the sealant compared to them. Removed easy because it felt like the wax was easily removed.

-Griots Boss Finishing Sealant. This panel applied like molasses, except dryer. Slow to remove, but once it did it felt like I had removed the base layer.

Here’s a shot of my hood later that day. In person it looked like sealant across the board.

2 days later... Last night.

I decided to rinse my hood down with the hose nozzle. Sorry about the bad pic but it was dark out.

Water behavior on all panels leads me to believe it’s the sealant that removed all of the base layers. I did a quik waterless wash with WG Uber and every panel felt the same. Very slick as expected. Every panel looks the same.

My early prognosis shows the sealant removed and replaced all the base layers, with the layers containing “wax” putting up more of a fight, but proving to be no more than a minor hassle than anything else, because all signs point to them being removed and replaced by the sealant. I’ll keep you guys posted if anything noteworthy happens.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks for reading.

4. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping AIO’s with Sealant - Basic test

Nice u got me.... I think the all-in-ones fill a little bit. That's why they seem better than a Polish with no fillers. I think it's just temporary and you're still better off using a separate polish and wax

6. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Nice u got me.... I think the all-in-ones fill a little bit. That's why they seem better than a Polish with no fillers. I think it's just temporary and you're still better off using a separate polish and wax
    I would tend to agree, but it doesn’t stop there.. The wax component in them not only fills, but it makes the paint pop and leaves a slickness that’s hard to rival. Unfortunately IMO most of the greatness is somewhat short lived.

8. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool write-up, Eldo.

Only thing that puzzles me is the Speed being hard to remove. Maybe baking in the Cali heat for two hours?

Anyhow, it was interesting to read that the sealants seemed to strip the base layers. I've often thought that they may do just that by reading about their characteristics.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Cool write-up, Eldo.

Only thing that puzzles me is the Speed being hard to remove. Maybe baking in the Cali heat for two hours?

Anyhow, it was interesting to read that the sealants seemed to strip the base layers. I've often thought that they may do just that by reading about their characteristics.
    Yea I wasn’t expecting that that to happen upon removal.. It was left to haze starting at 7:30am till about 9:15am in the shade. Maybe my hoods paint played a part? The reason I say that is because it’s so near it’s end that sometimes I feel like it’s a bit different than say perfect paint on a new car.

But the more I think about it I feel like using Megs D166 might just be a pretty good 1-2 punch worthy of replacing a dedicated polish in some situations, followed by a sealant.

11. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You left them on for up to 2 hours...why? I'm being curious as I normally apply the D166 and then nearly immediately remove it...maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

El. Thank you for all your time in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

14. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMak97008 View Post
    You left them on for up to 2 hours...why? I'm being curious as I normally apply the D166 and then nearly immediately remove it...maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    Just guessing, I understand people often polish the whole car with AIOs and wipe off everything when complete. This would simulate that kind of use, I think.

16. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Just guessing, I understand people often polish the whole car with AIOs and wipe off everything when complete. This would simulate that kind of use, I think.
    That's a great guess.

Yeah, most of us do that with AIO's. And the way Eldo did it was even a tougher test of the products. Which is exactly what a test should be, IMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

18. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast