autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to safely remove/undo touch up paint

I have an obsidian black Mercedes E-350. I bought touch up paint with brush + clear coat from the dealer and applied it to a hair line scratch and couple of chips on doors and the results did not come out good at all. The touch up paint is uneven, and lumped and sticking out and it is looking worse than how it was before. How can i undo this? On the internet people are saying to use finger nail or toothpick, or paint thinner to remove it - but I wanted to find out what is the safest and easiest method to remove the touch up paint. I'd be happy to get back to how it was before I applied the touch up and live with the minor scratches. I'm inclined to using paint thinner since it seems like the easiest route, but is it safe and will it not ruin the factory paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to safely remove/undo touch up paint

Lacquer thinner should take it right off. If the car is recent, it will be clear coated and lacquer thinner will not be removing clearcoat.

So what you need to do it put some on a cloth or microfiber towel and wipe the touch up paint. Once your are done rinse with water to remove any remaining solvent on the paint.

Afterwards you can re-apply the touch up paint if you want. Simply don't use the brush that comes with the touch up paint, it always does a terrible job. Check youtube videos to learn how to apply touch up paint correctly.

3. Thanks Matsui thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for a quick response! I will get the lacquer thinner tonight (Home Depot?) and try it tomorrow.
    I have been loosing my sleep over this, so glad there is a solution to fix it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot one thing. I also used clear coat with the brush over the touch up paint. Will it be a problem to remove it with the lacquer thinner?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same concern for my bumper but the touch-up paint is better than without touch-up paint. This is the bumper so it is not that critical. I was going to hit it with 1000/2000/3000 sand paper to try to level it and then polish it and see how it looks.

Post Thanks / Like

The clearcoat in that touch up paint is a 1K clear (lacquer) so it should get removed as well without any issue. The clearcoat on your car is a different product althogether, it's an Urethane plastic base, not a lacquer. If you had applied 2K clear on top of the touch up, then you would not be able to remove it this way. 2K clear has a hardener you must mix into in before applying, it's never in touch up kits.

8. Thanks Matsui thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matsui View Post
    I'd be happy to get back to how it was before I applied the touch up and live with the minor scratches.
    When you find out how easy it is to remove, you may be inclined to give it another go. I also am rarely happy, but there are a lot of tools to try, the little fuzzy applicators, toothpicks, artist brushes, squeegees, and of course, Dr. Colorchip.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are awesome
    The lacquer thinner worked like magic and got all of the touch up paint off without impacting the original paint. Thank you so much for your help

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. That's what the forum is here for

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a good lacquer thinner you guys recommend and where to purchase? I just need a small amount to remove a bad touch up spot on my Mercedes using the OEM touchup paint, and lacquer clear coat that came with the touch up kit.

Many thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast