autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Buying a Rupes 21 MkII - What else should I get?

Hey everyone,

So I finally decided on the Rupes 21 MkII to step up my game for my business. What do you guys suggest I buy in addition to the machine?

Questions:

• Should I grab 7" pads, or a 5" backing plate and 6" pads? I've been using my PC 7424 with 6.5" pads for the last 5+ years, so i'm used to a big pad. I plan on switching my PC to a "mini" setup with a 3" backing plate to compliment the Rupes 21.

• What pads do you recommend? I was going to get the blue, green, and yellow.

• Can the Megs MF pad be used with the Rupes?

• Should I grab Rupes' corresponding polishes for the pads I get? I typically use FG400 which I heard works well with the Rupes pads.

• Do you recommend the washer mod?

Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buying a Rupes 21 MkII - What else should I get?

I would get the 5" backing plate. Mike always suggests getting Rupes pad first then try others because it's designed as a system. I can tell you don't buy the blue pad and compound, it throws product everywhere. I have a G21, Had a Rupes 15 Mark II but sold it. I prefer the Griot's Boss pads and creams and really like them. At least for heavy cut I would get the Griot's white Boss pad and Fast Correcting Cream. If you like microfiber the Boss microfiber has great cut with the FCC also. I do like the Rupes yellow pad and product.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

3. Likes Route246 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WASHER MOD FOR SURE!!!!!

5" backing plate with Rupes 6" pads. Rupes Yellow pads are a must. Rupes Green pads are not very durable. Meg's MF pads cut awesome, but aren't very durable either. I'd get the LC MF cutting pads, B&S Urofiber or Griot'S BOSS MF pads. My favorite are the BOSS MF pads. I use those along with the Rupes yellow pads the most. I currently have Griots BOSS Fast Correcting Cream, Correcting Cream, Sonax Perfect Finish, and Scholl S30+. I do not find Rupes polishes all that good.
    '03 Corvette Z06

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

5” bp with washer mod
    Rupes Yellow Foam
    Rupes Yellow Wool

Edited to add: Rupes Yellow Wool is the best wool I have ever used. I could write an Ode to it, it’s that brilliant. Rupes has really under hyped this pad in it’s cutting and finishing abilities. Extreme cut on even the hardest of paints with heavy cut compounds and finishes like a polish or finishing pad with fine polishes.

For those with Rupes Mini’s, you want to turbocharge your Mini? Get the 3” Rupes Yellow Wool asap!

Post Thanks / Like

I started with the blue/yellow foam and liquids.

I don't use a washer mod.

I've seen instances on this forum where FG400 ate green pads. FG400 works great on their microfiber though.

Consider picking up Mike's book of you want to approach it as a system.

It took me longer than I would have imagined to get the hang of the blue and green super open cell pads, and the concept of using oscillation as a means of abrading paint, rather than high rotational speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience (LHR15 Mk2), which included totally buying into the Rupes system with all 5 liquids and respective pads (including UHS), after a while the only Rupes things I used were the Rupes Yellow and White liquids and pads. When more cut is needed, Megs Microfiber cutting discs along with Megs D300 took care of that. Sonax Perfect Finish works wonderfully on Rupes yellow pads, often 1-step capable. The Jescar products work nicely as well. I did pick up some maroon B & S Uro-tec pads to substitute for green Rupes which, at one time, maybe now rectified, did not play well with some liquids like Menzerna. While the Blue Rupes pads w/ corresponding compound work well, the Megs Microfiber/D300 combo was easier to use.

There's about a thousand ways to skin this cat, gotta find what works best for you...don't buy 32oz bottles of anything until you're sure you're going to like it. When I was looking for the kit with the Rupes I looked for kits that were pad-centric, getting as many pads as I could with the kit and then making up for lack of liquids by buying those at future sales. Many of the Rupes liquids at that time included a free pad so that was a bonus as well.

8. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies fellas. So, do these other pads slap right onto the Rupes? The main reason why I’m upgrading is to have a very smooth operating machine, and I’ve heard that using some other pads can take away from that a bit.

I feel as as though I need to do some more research, because I’m seeing the Griots machine getting mentioned in just about every Rupes thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you confused yet LOL..............
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

11. Likes dlc95, 001jigsaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Skip the Menz products on Rupes pads as delamination can occur. Meguires microfiber pads with Menz 400 or D300 works great on hard German paints. Try the Rupes as a system to see what you like or don’t like. Revisit the stuff you don’t like to begin with after you get the hang of the Rupes as their is some technique involved to get the best out of the Rupes Blue and Green pads and polish. Don’t try to run your Rupes on 6 too much as it will overheat the pads and is not really necessary (4 is the equal to the old 6). Enjoy your Rupes!

13. Likes dlc95, 001jigsaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Skip the Menz products on Rupes pads as delamination can occur. Meguires microfiber pads with Menz 400 or D300 works great on hard German paints. Try the Rupes as a system to see what you like or don’t like. Revisit the stuff you don’t like to begin with after you get the hang of the Rupes as their is some technique involved to get the best out of the Rupes Blue and Green pads and polish. Don’t try to run your Rupes on 6 too much as it will overheat the pads and is not really necessary (4 is the equal to the old 6). Enjoy your Rupes!

Just a note, I did this Porsche a month or so ago with my G21 w / 5" BP and Rupes Green pads and Menzerna FG400 with no pad issues at all.

2015 Black Porsche Cayenne Correction with FG400 and Polish Angel Master Sealant
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast