autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber detergent

Hey all,

I have always looked at microfiber detergent as a gimmick, and have always used just regular free and cleaner detergent. I have always done just microfiber though. I am noticing that towels that have been washed a dozen times don't dry like new. I am wondering if regular detergent isn't doing the job. Maybe not getting the old waxes out making them somewhat repel water to not get clean or dry well.
    Does real microfiber detergent really do a better job? Maybe I'm using too much or not enough regular detergent and before spending $30 on detergent I should try something else?
    I am slowly coming around to these new ideas and even considering a foam gun 😳

Thanks
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber detergent

Try 3D Towel Kleen very economical. I use that and CG MF detergent. Those are the two I found that do the best job for the money. It's even better when you find out they are telling you to use way too much product. Usually dying microfiber is in the details and overall quality of the towel and how it's being washed and dried. Then again sometimes it just gets old.
    The two questions I always ask people, Are you using the family washer and dryer? & Are you washing your towels right after your done? If you are your problem might be fabric softener residue or residue allowing to set into the fibers. I have been using apartment building washer and dryers and now the family washer and dryer and I have waffle weaves that are ten years old with the satin banding falling off and it still can dry a car effectively. I always remove the detergent dispenser tray from our HE and wash it out before I wash any microfiber to remove any residue. I run the washer clean cycle once a month, and I always use two teaspoons of white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser for each towel. If possible add a second rinse cycle. If you ever spilled or had a bottle of fabric softener fall off a shelf and break like I did you'll notice how slippery it is and difficult it is to clean up and that slickness lasts well after it has dried.
    You can try and save them give your washer and dryer a good cleaning then start from scratch. MF detergent, white vinegar in the rinse cycle and dry on extra low heat or air only setting.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

3. Likes RamAirV1, SWETM, KBsToy, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    Hey all,

I have always looked at microfiber detergent as a gimmick, and have always used just regular free and cleaner detergent. I have always done just microfiber though. I am noticing that towels that have been washed a dozen times don't dry like new. I am wondering if regular detergent isn't doing the job. Maybe not getting the old waxes out making them somewhat repel water to not get clean or dry well.
    Does real microfiber detergent really do a better job? Maybe I'm using too much or not enough regular detergent and before spending $30 on detergent I should try something else?
    I am slowly coming around to these new ideas and even considering a foam gun ��

Thanks
    It definitely does a better job removing waxes and sealants

3D towel kleen is only $17.99 a gallon and is extremely concentrated.

5. Thanks Coopers ST thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inDetail View Post
    Try 3D Towel Kleen very economical. I use that and CG MF detergent. Those are the two I found that do the best job for the money. It's even better when you find out they are telling you to use way too much product. Usually dying microfiber is in the details and overall quality of the towel and how it's being washed and dried. Then again sometimes it just gets old.
    The two questions I always ask people, Are you using the family washer and dryer? & Are you washing your towels right after your done? If you are your problem might be fabric softener residue or residue allowing to set into the fibers. I have been using apartment building washer and dryers and now the family washer and dryer and I have waffle weaves that are ten years old with the satin banding falling off and it still can dry a car effectively. I always remove the detergent dispenser tray from our HE and wash it out before I wash any microfiber to remove any residue. I run the washer clean cycle once a month, and I always use two teaspoons of white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser for each towel. If possible add a second rinse cycle. If you ever spilled or had a bottle of fabric softener fall off a shelf and break like I did you'll notice how slippery it is and difficult it is to clean up and that slickness lasts well after it has dried.
    You can try and save them give your washer and dryer a good cleaning then start from scratch. MF detergent, white vinegar in the rinse cycle and dry on extra low heat or air only setting.
    Yes I am using the family washer and dryer. There shouldn't be any leftover residue because we don't use it in any other load. Just regular free and clear, no dryer sheets or anything for any load.

No I am not doing them right after. They come clean, just not as absorbent as when new.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch

Post Thanks / Like

Yes there is a difference. I look at it like this also. If I’m spending hundreds of dollars on Mf’s, I’m gonna spend a couple extra bucks for the associated wash for them.

8. Thanks Coopers ST thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    Hey all,

I am slowly coming around to these new ideas and even considering a foam gun ��

Thanks
    Its not a gimmick and the free and clear detergents are just as much money. If you're not seperating your towels that could be the reason they are not drying as well. Especially if you are mixing glass towels and drying towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Best of all your bottle of microfiber detergent is off limits to everyone else in your household because there’s no reason anyone should even be thinking of using your microfiber detergent for anything.

Its nice to know you won’t suddenly reach for your bottle of detergent only to find out someone else somehow went through the whole bottle and you’re screwed and can’t wash your towels.

11. Thanks Coopers ST thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, joleyred, willowcat11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Best of all your bottle of microfiber detergent is off limits to everyone else in your household because there’s no reason anyone should even be thinking of using your microfiber detergent for anything.

Its nice to know you won’t suddenly reach for your bottle of detergent only to find out someone else somehow went through the whole bottle and you’re screwed and can’t wash your towels.
    That is a great point, That alone makes it worth double what any microfiber detergent costs

13. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I took your advice and ordered some 3D Towel Kleen. The first load just came out. Wow! Is all I have to day. Most of my towels are like new again, the paint ones are anyway. They feel different and look different from regular all free and clear. Never would I have thought there was a actual difference in soap, but there is. I can see the towels just get better and better after a few washes.

Thanks for the recommendation
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch

15. Thanks PaulMys, Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, TTQ B4U, willowcat11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for 3D Towel Kleen. I've used it twice now... once for towels and another time for pads. It does a great job. I will never go back to the free and clear.

17. Likes TTQ B4U, willowcat11 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast