autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Cleaners for Coated Wheels

Hey all,
    Just a quick poll, question, inquiry...

On wheels with a ceramic coating applied, are there wheel cleaners that should be avoided?

Yes, I understand soap and water should be enough, but sometimes I dont want to pull out the full buckets and perform a full wheel wash.
    Would love to have a bottle of something reliable, quick, and safe that I can just spray on, and pressure wash off and get me 90% clean.

Are there people out there with coated wheels who are using stronger wheel cleaning agents out there??

Been watching videos about fan favorite wheel cleaners such as Meguiars Wheel Brightener, Non-Acid wheel cleaner, etc.
    I like the fact that they solutions can be diluted and therefore are way more economical than cleaners like Sonax, Nextzett Colortech, and Tuga Alu-Devil (Whats currently on my shelf) but they are obviously not ph-balanced. Which scares me a little.

Would these common dilutable wheel cleaners ruin the coating if used properly?

Anyone have any first hand experience using stronger wheel cleaners on coated wheels? Thoughts?

If not, anyone have any recommendation on a safe and effective cleaner for coated wheels that is more economical, dilutable?

Cheers,
    W

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Cleaners for Coated Wheels

I have coated wheels and there is no need for a dedicated wheel cleaner. I use Reset to wash the wheels and the paint.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

3. Likes Sicoupe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say McKee’s N-914 at waterless wash dilution (1:128), but you need to do some light wiping, I don’t know that they would spray clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the mild Griots wheel cleaner on my coated wheels. I probably could get away with a rinseless wash or my normal car wash solution, but I find the wheel cleaner breaks down the break dust a bit better and makes cleaning nearly effortless

I try to avoid the harsh wheel cleaners no matter what type of protection is on the wheels.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes Sicoupe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found that my gallon bottles of CG Sticky Gel and Diablo wheel cleaner that have been sitting on the shelf are perfect for giving my Opticoat 2.0 coated wheels a deep cleaning. I don't mix it full strength. Maybe 1/2 or 2/3 the recommended dilution. Can't remember right now. I also use it on my son's pickup wheels that are coated with C1 and EXOv2.

Its seems to be safe on the coatings and have plenty of cleaning power for a coated wheel.