autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best way to clean carpet and upholstery?

I'm an up and coming auto detailer, but I do have one thing that bugs me. That is how no matter what I've tried so far I'm never satisfied with the results of grey or beige carpets. They always seem to have stains or discoloration even when i don't soak the carpet or seats. I use folex at full strength and CG lightning fast with a drill with brush attachment and some brushes for areas my drill won't reach. Does anyone have any recommendations for better results?

P.S I use the Mytee lite III 8070 for extraction
    Last edited by JICs Auto Detail; 05-02-2018 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to add question mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to clean carpet and upholstery?

IME Folex does great at removing stains & spots and most of the time can be good enough to finish off with, but when I want to really get carpets & matts thoroughly clean I go with Megs APC@10:1.

The carpets in my daily driver are light olive green [which is similar to light beige] and don’t look quite right if they’re not completely cleaned. I don’t use an extractor, just plain scrub brush and terry towel to mop up [sometimes I’ll use my wet/dry vac prior to the towel] These are my typical results.

Before.

After.

...I’ve always been pleased with those results, but recently I decided to branch out and try other products to try and find out if they really do produce better results [since so many people like to talk crap about using APC for carpets & upholstery] and so far I’ve tried 2 citrus based products, 1 of them being a dedicated Carpet & upholstery cleaner.. The 1st one was horrible at cleaning my matts + left them all sticky. The dedicated citrus based carpet cleaner does Not clean my matts better than Megs APC and leaves them noticeably darker compared to the bright and clean results I get from D101.

People love to talk about all the so called negative effects of using an APC to clean carpets, but I’ve never experienced any of them. All I’ve experienced is better results than the so called “safer” automotive carpet cleaners. I believe my own experience. I have light carpets in my car and nothing works better.

3. Thanks walt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good El, I'm not sure why some have a problem with using a APC after all it does mean ALL purpose
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    IME Folex does great at removing stains & spots and most of the time can be good enough to finish off with, but when I want to really get carpets & matts thoroughly clean I go with Megs APC@10:1.

The carpets in my daily driver are light olive green [which is similar to light beige] and don’t look quite right if they’re not completely cleaned. I don’t use an extractor, just plain scrub brush and terry towel to mop up [sometimes I’ll use my wet/dry vac prior to the towel] These are my typical results.

Before.

After.

...I’ve always been pleased with those results, but recently I decided to branch out and try other products to try and find out if they really do produce better results [since so many people like to talk crap about using APC for carpets & upholstery] and so far I’ve tried 2 citrus based products, 1 of them being a dedicated Carpet & upholstery cleaner.. The 1st one was horrible at cleaning my matts + left them all sticky. The dedicated citrus based carpet cleaner does Not clean my matts better than Megs APC and leaves them noticeably darker compared to the bright and clean results I get from D101.

People love to talk about all the so called negative effects of using an APC to clean carpets, but I’ve never experienced any of them. All I’ve experienced is better results than the so called “safer” automotive carpet cleaners. I believe my own experience. I have light carpets in my car and nothing works better.
    Nice, I been using mckees carpet cleaner. I only use shop towels to mop it up too. Sometimes I do find light water stains on the seats after even when I dry it up well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you use the green APC pr the orange one I've been hearing about right here?
    Thank you and nice results

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JICs Auto Detail View Post
    Do you use the green APC pr the orange one I've been hearing about right here?
    Thank you and nice results
    Meguiars D101, the green 1.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Meguiars D101, the green 1.
    Thanks EL I've used the Green APC but maybe I didn't dilute it right. I might have put more APC than water. I did a little less than half of APC in a 32oz bottle and then the rest water.

9. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks EL I've used the Green APC but maybe I didn't dilute it right. I might have put more APC than water. I did a little less than half of APC in a 32oz bottle and then the rest water.
    That’s an extremely high dilution ratio for Meg’s D101. I would use 10:1. Eldo turned me on to 10:1 and it works wonders. 10 parts water to 1 part D101, that is.

11. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10:1 is 3oz. into a 32oz. bottle and fill the rest with water.

13. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post
    That’s an extremely high dilution ratio for Meg’s D101. I would use 10:1. Eldo turned me on to 10:1 and it works wonders. 10 parts water to 1 part D101, that is.
    The thing is I bought it from this detail supplier of whom I think cut it or just put his own chemicals in a Megs gallon. Maybe its knockoff, it wasn't that strong

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast