autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Good second-rate MF drying towel

The past few years, I have used the Cobra Surpeme 530 MF towels (they appear to have dropped the Cobra name) I bought here for drying my cars. Love them.

The Cobra soaks up the huge blobs, and then I like to use another mf for a quick pass, just to get random drops of water.

What I have been using as my follow up mf have been a couple of mf towels that came with some synthetic wax I got. For whatever reason, they are ideal for buffing off wax, but they don't appear to soak up water as well as I'd like, and I find that as often as not, I'm just pushing those last drops of water around, when I use those mf towels.

Obviously I'm not interested in paying a king's ransom for towels that hardly get wet at all by the end of the drying session. On the other hand, I do want towels that will do the job.

So should I just work my way through dollar store mf sets until I find one that I like? Or does anyone have a good, second rate towel that would do well for this purpose?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good second-rate MF drying towel

Folks, just to be clear, if someone is going to mention a cheap MF towel that is not sold on AG, please don't post a link. I do want to respect the forum rules. The AG forum is a great service for folks who want some expert advice on detailing issues, so let's work with them on this. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    The past few years, I have used the Cobra Surpeme 530 MF towels (they appear to have dropped the Cobra name) I bought here for drying my cars. Love them.

The Cobra soaks up the huge blobs, and then I like to use another mf for a quick pass, just to get random drops of water.

What I have been using as my follow up mf have been a couple of mf towels that came with some synthetic wax I got. For whatever reason, they are ideal for buffing off wax, but they don't appear to soak up water as well as I'd like, and I find that as often as not, I'm just pushing those last drops of water around, when I use those mf towels.

Obviously I'm not interested in paying a king's ransom for towels that hardly get wet at all by the end of the drying session. On the other hand, I do want towels that will do the job.

So should I just work my way through dollar store mf sets until I find one that I like? Or does anyone have a good, second rate towel that would do well for this purpose?
    If it were me, I'd just get the 2 pack of small GG PFM towels. If you are using it for your 'clean up' towel, you honestly could do an entire car with just one of these 16 x 16 towels. Then hang it to dry and re-use later. It is a little pricey at $23 for 2, but if you wait until they are on sale you could get them for under $20. I'm confident these will blow away anything else you've used. I can get my wife's minivan spotless with just two of these small towels.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try reversing your process.
    During the winter, I take my DD and supplies to work and rinseless wash it on Saturday mornings before I start work. I've tried a few different drying methods to minimize the stuff I tote back and forth. Doing a rinseless wash means I don't have a hose to do a pooling rinse. What works best for me is to use a decent absorptive microfiber first, wiping down each panel just to break up the accumulations of water, wringing the towel out as I go. Only then do I pull out the PFM and finish it up, normally using only one 16" x 16" PFM for a midsize car. When I pack up my stuff, I've got just one wet MF and a slightly damp PFM.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I found what I was looking for: Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels, microfiber buffing towels, micro fiber, detailing towels The Meguiars supreme shine mf towel (this comes in a 3 pack of towels). I use my Cobra Supreme for the first wipe, and then just one of these supreme Shine Megs towels to hit those small drops. Does a great job. They are advertised for a lot of other purposes, but they certainly can absorb water. Now I have not used these alone, to dry off a car. But these towels are very good at absorbing small drops of water, which was a problem like I said in my OP--that the mf towels that came with waxes were not good at this at all--they would just spread the water around.

Post Thanks / Like

I have these Meguiars Supreme Shine towels as well. I only use them for wheels. There's no comparison between that and the PFM. I'd even go as far as there's no comparison between the Cobra towels and PFM. PFM is the best drying towel. Once you try one you'll not want to use anything else.
    Bruno Soares

8. Likes edwelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would test to do the final rinse with only a hose part without any connections and a low water flow. Start at the top of the car and follow the water sheeting down as you rinse. If you have a good sheeting lsp you don't have much of water to catch with the mf drying towel. The towels you have do soak up water. But the nap is not made for drying the vehicals with. Is more to wipe off dry products or like spray waxes and QD. With a great performance from a mf drying towel you only have to wipe off the area one time and get it completly dry. The PFM towels is a great drying towel that soaks up water spotless with one pass or padding technique. Gyeon Silk Drying Towels is also one of them with the same kind of nap like PFM. I have a Sonax version of those towels. And was very amazed how fast and dry you got it with only one pass with matador technique when drying. I have one that holds alot of water and there is not even PFM towel near. But how fast they soak up water the PFM kind of nap has no one near it. The big benefit I see it in your situation is that you don't have to touch the paint when drying more than once. And the PFM kind of nap towels is a great way to go go achieve that. Sure they cost a little more. But that can be worth it cause you will create way less of micro-marring in the longrun. They just feels so safe to use and is a big difference in the performance between them and a detailing mf towel even if you use great quality of them. In the way they dry your car. If you still would like to use your Cobra towels as a first drying towel. Something like Meguiars waffel weave drying towel or the Cobra waffel weave drying towel would work better for you I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Also check out the “Outlet Store” on Autogeek’s site.

I bought two of the 25X36 gray WW with pockets that are priced $6.99 at the moment.

I’m not a fan of the pockets, but it’s been a good towel.

They have another WW a couple above it it that’s a little smaller and is $4.99.

That is if you’re looking for “cheap” waffle weaves.

Post Thanks / Like

•IMO:
    -AGO doesn’t sell second-rate MF-towels.

With that in mind, I’ll second AGO forum
    member Mantilgh‘s below suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Also check out the “Outlet Store” on Autogeek’s site.

That is if you’re looking for “cheap” waffle weaves.
    Microfiber Towels

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti