autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fair price to charge to take wheels off?

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    Geez, am I the only mobile detailer that doesn't make $100/hour or think that mobile detailers should make $100/hour? My wife saves people's lives. She doesn't make $100/hour.
    Many professions are WAY underpaid IMO.

Unless you can figure out hedge funds and how to swindle our money on Wall Street. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Many professions are WAY underpaid IMO.

Unless you can figure out hedge funds and how to swindle our money on Wall Street. Lol
    I don't think you or anybody else would suggest my wife is underpaid. But she doesn't make $100/hour on STRAIGHT TIME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    I don't think you or anybody else would suggest my wife is underpaid. But she doesn't make $100/hour on STRAIGHT TIME.
    Nope. Wasn't suggesting a thing. Just stating my opinion.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Just taking them off and cleaning them ? Or are you coating them.

You are in business you have to consider more than just your time. Cost of the equipment to remove them. Yes you have it likely paid for many moons ago but it’s still a cost. What if something fails on this job and you need to buy another 400 impact wrench to use over the next x amount of years. Gotta factor that equipment into each job you use it

Second if you are coating, polishing, sealing you gotta factor that in. Sure it’s 40 bucks or less in carpro Dlux if you went that route or probably 5 bucks in polish compound whatever

I don’t see 100 bucks out of line. Most places will charge you 15-30 bucks to merely rotate your tires. No cleaning no additional. Just remove and install. That’s the easy part.

some folks may spend 3-4 hours on the wheels and wheel wells. Some may blast it through in 30 mins. You know the task and you know yourself of how you are going to do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on removing wheels as part of details. There is just to much liability for me. The risk of damaging a wheel, having the client blame you if the wheels aren't torqued properly etc. If I had a lift I would consider it but for now I can get them just as clean as if I took them off. The only thing is that it makes it difficult to coat the inner barrels.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

You are in business you have to consider more than just your time. Cost of the equipment to remove them. Yes you have it likely paid for many moons ago but it’s still a cost. What if something fails on this job and you need to buy another 400 impact wrench to use over the next x amount of years. Gotta factor that equipment into each job you use it

Ehh, IMO that’s sort of a stretch... I think a better way to look at things would be like {Ok Mr. customer, you’re paying me to buff your vehicle which results in paint correction/removal of swirls & scratches, polishing the paint, and applying protection aka wax. So not only are you charging for that, but you’re also charging for the fact that if he were to want to DYI he’d be looking at quite an investment if he were to use the top level equipment & products that you have at your disposal. Just try buying the polisher I use and that’s $400 dollars just to start with. Thinking about it like that and translating it to the customer if he doesn’t already know can really help tilt the negotiation in your favor}.

And then there’s the whole skill thing that sort of makes you good and knowledgeable at detailing.. I dunno about you, but have you ever seen someone who’s far from a natural at cleaning/washing/detailing a vehicle? I’ve seen some atrocious basic car care technique from otherwise competent people. I’m sure I’m not the only 1 who knows what I’m talking about.. It’s interesting to witness, and makes you feel proud that you really do provide great service.

Post Thanks / Like

ITT: OP asks for thoughts and argues with or is skeptical of almost every response in one way or another.

8. Thanks RTexasF thanked for this post
    Likes RTexasF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    ITT: OP asks for thoughts and argues with or is skeptical of almost every response in one way or another.
    I asked a specific question. I don't care if you're too scared to take off wheels. And I'm getting ready to address the last response about charging $100. Because I didn't say $100 is out of line, in fact, I said I was thinking that amount was in line with my thoughts already. I specifically addressed the person that said (paraphrased) "if it only took an hour. Otherwise you need to charge more." I don't believe there's anything about this work that demands a salary of $100/hour.

But, hey, thanks for your input, it's as good as a lot of other input received in this thread.

Oh, and I believe the word you were looking for is dismissive. I'm not being skeptical, I'm being dismissive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Just taking them off and cleaning them ? Or are you coating them.

Second if you are coating, polishing, sealing you gotta factor that in. Sure it’s 40 bucks or less in carpro Dlux if you went that route or probably 5 bucks in polish compound whatever

I don’t see 100 bucks out of line. Most places will charge you 15-30 bucks to merely rotate your tires. No cleaning no additional. Just remove and install. That’s the easy part.

some folks may spend 3-4 hours on the wheels and wheel wells. Some may blast it through in 30 mins. You know the task and you know yourself of how you are going to do the job.

I don't see $100 as out of line. Reread what I wrote. The customer pays for your tools for sure, but each customer is not paying the freight for like 10% of your tools. Buying tools is the cost of doing business. It's like credit card processing. You don't charge the customer for that. That's there for the convenience of the business (you might be too young to even know about taking bad checks as a business) and to make your business more attractive to customers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Although I never liked to do this due to the labor and research to torque the wheels properly it was $25 per wheel, no exceptions. The liability is another factor......
    Well, just to be clear, I'm doing it. It's not even a question. I was just asking about a fair price, not wanting to get a lot of input on your worst fears of all the bad things that could happen.
    Kinda abrasive for someone asking for advice aren't you? Sorry, I won't offer you my input again with your snippy attitude.
    Rick....now in North Texas

12. Likes Heisenberg liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast