autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Motorcycle paint correction/coating options

I have a solid black ninja that is getting older, and I want to protect it better than with the products that were available at the time I bought the bike. Over the years from taking the cover on and off, road grime, bugs, riding etc. the paint is in phenomenal shape, but like all things black it attracts and show every defect. I plan on getting the swirls out and then applying a ceramic coating of some sort. I looked over the bike thoroughly and found only one major defect that I forgot about. I had a bug stuck to the tank, and foolishly tried to get it off with my fingernail, needless to say it left a scratch in the paint. I tried various methods or polishing with the least aggressive to most aggressive I was comfortable with. If it was anywhere else, I wouldn't care as much, but its right on the top of the gas tank I see it every time I use to bike. I have attached photos of the best I could get, give the light and camera. The surface is smooth to the touch and wont catch on the edge of my finger, but there is still a visible line that looks like its a little valley where the original scratch was. Any advice on how to correct this would be great, however I am not oppose to taking it to a professional if need be to have it corrected, if it is something I may not be able to do with my skillset. Also what coatings work well for motorcycle applications? Or are they all about the same? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motorcycle paint correction/coating options

bump

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radster1986 View Post
    I have a solid black ninja that is getting older, and I want to protect it better than with the products that were available at the time I bought the bike. Over the years from taking the cover on and off, road grime, bugs, riding etc. the paint is in phenomenal shape, but like all things black it attracts and show every defect. I plan on getting the swirls out and then applying a ceramic coating of some sort. I looked over the bike thoroughly and found only one major defect that I forgot about. I had a bug stuck to the tank, and foolishly tried to get it off with my fingernail, needless to say it left a scratch in the paint. I tried various methods or polishing with the least aggressive to most aggressive I was comfortable with. If it was anywhere else, I wouldn't care as much, but its right on the top of the gas tank I see it every time I use to bike. I have attached photos of the best I could get, give the light and camera. The surface is smooth to the touch and wont catch on the edge of my finger, but there is still a visible line that looks like its a little valley where the original scratch was. Any advice on how to correct this would be great, however I am not oppose to taking it to a professional if need be to have it corrected, if it is something I may not be able to do with my skillset. Also what coatings work well for motorcycle applications? Or are they all about the same? Thanks in advance.

I don't see any pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    I don't see any pictures
    Ah crap, I see them on my end, but when I try to re upload them it gives me a little red exclamation in a circle. Any idea how to fix that so I can upload them? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I see the picture in the thread preview screen. But can’t see the photos from within the thread. Weird.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Eldorado2k;1573153]I see the picture in the thread preview screen. But can’t see the photos from within the thread. Weird.
    Ah bummer idk whats going on either! Does anyone have an tips for what they can see? I would like to try and tackle it this weekend if possible since it will be cool and sunny, Thanks!