autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Losing the willpower

Since I found AutoGeek, I've been hand washing both of our vehicles with the 2 bucket method. I'd seal/wax them both, a couple times a year, and last summer I used a coating for the first time on my car. I've found that my motivation to get out in the garage has lessened significantly in the last year. I can't say that I exactly have a lot of time on my hands, but I was usually able to find some time in the evenings to clean at least one of the cars, after the kids went to bed.

I understand this is a forum of enthusiasts, so no sympathy expected here. Looking to see who else might be, or might have been in this position, and what they did. I'm debating whether I turn into what I thought I never would, and that's a guy that gets in line at the local tunnel wash. At least I'd get more than a few washes per year, but would obviously sacrifice the integrity and gloss of my paint. I have cabinets full of detailing supplies and tools that would pretty much go unused, but I'd be able to spend my time doing other things. I'm at a crossroads..
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Losing the willpower

No harm, no foul. Do whatever works best for *you*

I spend way more time on my wife's car than I do my own. For good reason. It takes priority...blah blah blah. This could turn into a long rant. haha

Anyway. My own daily driver is neglected. Clear coat failure is the reason.

That said, I don't spend much time washing my own cars. Daily, as noted above. The Jeep is more of an occasional use vehicle, so I don't even see it often (stored in a different city). So that gets a coin-op wash once every 1-2 weeks. Just a quick hose down. My little "racecar" hardly ever goes out. I'll rinseless wash that one every now and then.

I try and do rinseless on the wife's Kia once a week, but finding the time is harder these days. I'd rather spend the time hanging out with my wife.

With your vehicle being coated, you might be okay going through a tunnel (touchless style, not brush) wash. I remember one member did a long term test back in the "early days" of coatings, I believe with Optimum, and he did nothing but tunnels. The coating held up pretty good.

Long story short, do what you are comfortable with. Never mind what some 'Geeks will tell you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Three teenagers at home and a more than full time job. Finding the time to do this is not easy. I pretty much gave up on exterior maintenance in the winter. To dark, cold, and wet. And the cars get covered in road grime within 1/2 mile of leaving the house. I do a few washes and hose them off or pressure wash on occasion. No point in removing the grime to to have it immediately replaced by new grime.

The good news is that with a coating or a good sealant less effort should be required. With a good sealant I can usually wash my car in 20 mins, maybe less. Longer, warmer days certainly help.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

How old are your kids? My 2 1/2 year old loves being outside when the weather permits.

Post Thanks / Like

I can actually sympathize. First I stopped doing other people's cars and will only do mine.

A lot of times I just don't feel like cleaning up the car on a weekend. In fact this very scenario came up this weekend...

I had the choice to wash my car which isn't filthy or do some needed spring house cleaning. I choose the house since the car wasn't in terrible shape. I'm now under the mindset that it doesn't need to be spotless every day. It will be ok if I don't get to the cars every week. They have good protection on them and they aren't going to melt and fall apart. That's the whole reason we have spent time and money researching and buying the right products.

So go ahead and slack a little.

But I will never take my car to the swirl-o-matic as long as I can pick up a hose and bucket LOL
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

May I suggest getting your children involved with your vehicle washing. Have fun washing the grocery getter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KSVT View Post
    Since I found AutoGeek, I've been hand washing both of our vehicles with the 2 bucket method. I'd seal/wax them both, a couple times a year, and last summer I used a coating for the first time on my car. I've found that my motivation to get out in the garage has lessened significantly in the last year. I can't say that I exactly have a lot of time on my hands, but I was usually able to find some time in the evenings to clean at least one of the cars, after the kids went to bed.

I understand this is a forum of enthusiasts, so no sympathy expected here. Looking to see who else might be, or might have been in this position, and what they did. I'm debating whether I turn into what I thought I never would, and that's a guy that gets in line at the local tunnel wash. At least I'd get more than a few washes per year, but would obviously sacrifice the integrity and gloss of my paint. I have cabinets full of detailing supplies and tools that would pretty much go unused, but I'd be able to spend my time doing other things. I'm at a crossroads..
    If you're more passionate about other things or time with your family, do that! Do whatever makes you most happy. But I must object to all the swirls and possible scratches a tunnel wash will give you. Use a touchless or a coin operated hose one and then if you feel like spending a little time outside a few times a year, you could do a contact wash to remove whatever the touchless ones might not.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

My boys are 7 and 4. My youngest has an interest in cars. Well, Disney Pixar Cars, that is! I could see getting them outside with me when they're a little older, but with as little as we seem to be home, I'd rather let them ride bikes and play on the swing set at their age. My wife and I both work full time jobs, so by the time we're home together we have about 2 hours to eat, play and take baths before they're off to bed, and that's when they aren't in baseball or soccer. I try to practice violin (another hobby) when we put them to bed, so it's after 9:00 by the time I'm done with that, and then I like to spend a little time with my wife before she goes to bed. I guess I'm trying to have it all, which I've come to the conclusion is not possible. I did a rinseless wash on my car about a month ago and I was exhausted after it. It's typically at about 11:30pm, when I'm trying to quietly take a shower without waking my wife, that I contemplate if this is what I want to be doing. I'm glad there are others that can relate!
    Mark

9. Likes JustJesus, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do understand this and have run into similar issue with my time during the week. But I have a desire to take care of my vehicles so I set aside time early on the weekends during my days off to wash and care for vehicles. Any reason you can't do this and wash 1 vehicle per day so you limit the time it takes? Once I am protected I can wash a vehicle in 30-45 min easy. So I gladly get up earlier to make it happen.

Post Thanks / Like

That's something to consider, Troy. I'd just have to get it in my head that it needs to be done, and like you, make it a point to get up early. I'll weigh all of this before I hit that first tunnel wash!
    Mark

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast