autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Losing the willpower

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    I reserve Saturday mornings and I work very fast and expend a lot of energy detailing the cars. It is my aerobic exercise for the week because I'm occupied with work, family, etc. for all other times.

Detailing is my exercise, I work up a good sweat, get fairly winded and don't let up on the accelerator. Even something as mundane as cleaning and detailing the windows can be turned into decent aerobic exercise. Everything is organized and laid out on the cart and on a portable table I setup so I can bang out three cars in under 4 hours. Most of the time I use spray wax as my QD drying agent. Door jams, under the hood and every other part of the vehicle gets attention. The interiors are sometimes neglected if I'm running short on time.

Periodically I hit the paint with a DA, clay and paste wax, etc. Those are all done with precision and intensity, too. My upper body strength and flexibility is pretty decent for my age, too.
    This is what works for me too. My priority is more a workout than a clean car. I just don't see why if i'm going to spend the time exercising, I shouldn't have both.

Post Thanks / Like

i want a shiny car to bring my family out on weekends and also preserved as much energy so that i don't look worn out...
    I use the lazy man's method Losing the willpower

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i think that its like therapy for many of us (too), but not the most important thing when you have to juggle with Family, work, and other responsibilities life throws out you. I haven't had much time lately to do anything detail related, but am looking forward to doing a full out detail on the van soon..

5. Likes GEM65, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only take the time to properly detail my "garage queen" but even then the car is stored for around 5 months out of the year and it never really gets dirty so all it needs is a quick wash every couple weeks. I could totally see how I would get sick of trying to stay on top of several cars. Detailing is a hobby for me and if I tried to treat my DD the same way it would stop being a hobby and start being a job. For that reason I purposely don't give a crap when it comes to my DD. For me it should be fun not laborious. I'd feel the same way if I were you.

Post Thanks / Like

You're not alone. I was into detailing our vehicles more when I had the extra time/energy. My wife's vehicle gets the most love because it's the most expensive.
    My pick up and jeep (that I four wheel in) get detailed when it's convenient or I just need to do something different, which could be 6 months to a year in between.
    You really don't need to do them both so often.Take a break and you'll find yourself coming back to it.
    I didn't do any of our vehicles for a year + while we were building our house, and now kind of enjoy it once in awhile.

Don't be so hard on yourself and when you're motivated then do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's completely normal. I am back after a nearly 2 year hiatus. I got to where I was doing 25 -30 cars a year and got totally burned out. Now I am back and passionate about it once again on a smaller scale.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    This is what works for me too. My priority is more a workout than a clean car. I just don't see why if i'm going to spend the time exercising, I shouldn't have both.
    Same here, work fast, get the heart rate up, finish sooner, have a clean car. It's a nice light work out and you get something out of the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    Same here, work fast, get the heart rate up, finish sooner, have a clean car. It's a nice light work out and you get something out of the deal.
    Ditto.. it keeps this 65 year olds blood moving and makes me feel good looking at a clean car...

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody has the same amount of time in a day. People saying they don't have time for things like exercise or whatever is an excuse. We make time for things we really want to do

12. Likes Chopper280, Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I agree people can make time for things they want. Priorities can move up and down invisible ladders in different seasons in life.

Do what’s important to you now. If that means no personal car wash and mini detail then so be it. Most of these cars are just appliances anyways and not going to matter 2-5-10 years down the road when you have something new to drive with new shiny paint

If you want a clean shiny car. Nothing wrong with buying a monthly pass to the car wash either. I see cars daily that use a certain one in our area and honestly they look pretty darned good. Not perfect. But good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast