autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to best remove a wheel coating??

Since Crystal Serum Ultra supposedly needs to be sanded off with 1500 grit paper I would leave it. Clean the barrels of the wheels good, coat them and call it done. No point removing a good high quality coating.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

2. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Since Crystal Serum Ultra supposedly needs to be sanded off with 1500 grit paper I would leave it. Clean the barrels of the wheels good, coat them and call it done. No point removing a good high quality coating.
    Agree with what Dave said.

Clean and coat...be done with it.

Who is going to get down on their knees and stick their nose close to the wheels to see if it beads?? Grin...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going to all this trouble and expense to take the wheels off and coat it myself, I will definitely care of the coating beads/protects and washes the dust off. I have no idea how the existening coating will interact with a new coating applied directly on top of it if it isnt removed.

No point in spending money on all these tools, and then expensive coating products only to not get the most out of your coating because you couldnt prep the surface enough.

Either way, I will prolly roll with the advice and just clean the crap out of the wheels without using any further products at this point.
    I do have some original chemical guys citrus wash that I can use as a foaming/strip wash.
    Hopefully it will strip the surface as much as possible prior to the remainder of the decon.

I'll post updates

5. Likes tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If they’re coated with anything decent you’d want to remove that first. Find out what exactly was used on the wheel faces.

Post Thanks / Like

With the wheels being matte, your best bet is to let the coating wear off. Polishing will remove the coating but alter the matte appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

As said above and find out what kind of coating was used. Cause if it's the gtechnic coating used on the paint I think you are stuck with it. If it's another coating or only exo applyied you may have the possibility to get it of. I know that the Youtuber Car Craft Auto Detailing Chanel did a video about stripping wax and sealants and coatings.

YouTube

As for prep the wheels for a coating I would use chemicals only on matte finish. An APC and a tar remover and ironx to do so and then eraser to prep it for the coating.
    I would consider to use the same coating that where applyied on the front of the wheels. To get out of the hassle to remove it. And ad it to the rest of the wheels.

The DR Beasley option seems to be worth to look into. And they have options that are suited for matte surfaces too. That's something to consider too with your choice of the coating that it's suitable to matte finishes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12