autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Little brown / rust spots on white paint

Hey guys, the car is a 2017 so fairly new, have a lot of what seems like rust spots in the paint, usually around the wheel wells and back of the car.............did a search and assume I need some iron x..........but is there anything I could use in the mean time till it gets here. I clayed the area first, got rid of some of it, then I put a little swirl remover on them, seemed to help some............but I'm old and don't want to die while doing this to the whole car. LOL.......any suggestions for anything else to use in the mean time.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Little brown / rust spots on white paint

You did what can be done. The process is to use a fallout remover first (Iron-X, Ferrex, Ferrous Dueller, etc). Usually a single application will remove it all or at least most of it. The next step is to clay the area.

The advantage of fallout removers is that you are not gonna scratch the paint or marr it trying to remove the iron particles.

Post Thanks / Like

Have your brakes inspected. This is likely the source of the iron contamination. Iron-X or a similar product is the best product to use, followed by clay bar. After you have it all removed, keep your paint protected regularly with a paint sealant or wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Btrahin View Post
    Have your brakes inspected. This is likely the source of the iron contamination. Iron-X or a similar product is the best product to use, followed by clay bar. After you have it all removed, keep your paint protected regularly with a paint sealant or wax.
    Not sure on what you mean to have the brakes inspected..........the car has only 5 thousand miles on it...........im gonna order the iron x on Monday, just thought there was something else I could try, I understand on this kind of forum, not likely to have something recommended seeing their trying to sell stuff..........I understand that.

As far as keeping the paint protected, durning the summer months, its not uncommon to see wax put on at least 3 times per week, I'm having a little trouble with all this fallout stuff going thru that much wax or sealant which I also use quite a bit.

That being said, I'm gonna try the iron-x and see if that does the trick.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Like said before Iron x spray or iron x paste will do the best against it. As far as protectant instead of waxing it try cleaning it more with a waterless bi weekly. Save the money from waxing and focus more on removing the contamination. Here’s a picture of my truck on its first iron x treatment for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Little brown / rust spots on white paint-img_9871-jpgLittle brown / rust spots on white paint-img_9869-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pics Breese, I"ll give that a try..............just to try it, I put a little isopropyl alcohol on a rag and dapped a few spots, seems to take most of them out.............but was worried that this might not be the best stuff to put on paint, so next time I'm going iron x.

Rich

8. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iron contamination will sit on top of your protection product mostly. It turns red or brown because it is rusting. So it doesn't matter how much protection your paint has, iron particles will still do the same thing when present.

As for waxing the car 3 times per week, you did not mention what product you are using but do not assume that your wax is building up. When you apply wax or sealant on top of an existing layer of the same product, the solvents in the wax or sealant are gonna liquify the product already in place. It is very likelly you will have roughtly the same thickness of wax after you are done the second or third time. The only advantage I can see of repeating this process is that if you missed a spot the first time around, you are more likelly to have 100% coverage after the second time you apply it.

Common practice using wax would be to wax once a month, and everytime you wash the car, you use a spray wax as a drying aid to prevent scratching the paint while drying. Spray waxes are usually sealants or silicone bases products that will add some additional protection to you wax layer (or sealant).

Regardless, iron particules can still land on the car even with good protection. Some cars produce more than others, it depends on the type of brake pads mostly. German cars are the worst for this. They brakes produce an insane amount of brake dust, and brake dust contains a lot of iron particles.

Post Thanks / Like

White cars are just more obvious that they are there. Everyone had different contaminants for their vehicle. Even your neighbor might have different ones as he or she may drive on different roads and park the car next to a mayhem of contaminates all day

If you are using a wax that often I would probably try using a cleaner wax once a month and then a spray wax the other times. Cleaner waxes / AIO products remove lots of that stuff. Something like Duragloss 501 or 101 by hand actually gets quite of bit of that off. I’m sure there are more just 2 I have seen work well on white paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes richy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used IronX for years but have switched to 3D BDX--works great, safe on paint and you get more for less $$$$.

3D BDX Brake Dust Remover

13. Likes richy, Paul A. liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast