autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't Rupe's or Flex offer paint thickness gauges?

Well, I stepped on my paint thickness gauge last night and broke it. It was a Chinese copy that only gave a single reading. So I started thinking about buying a new one and a thought occurred to me.

Isn't it kind of irresponsible for Rupe's, Flex, Griot's and Mequiars to offer all these polishers, polishes, pads, etc. to polish your paint, but not a single one of them considers a paint thickness gauge a worthwhile product to offer.

We have all kinds of overpriced lights, extension cords and such offered. They are supposed to be the premier makers of polishing tools and accessories aren't they?

I'll assume that a Rupe's or Flex would price theirs out of many people's reach, but I would like to see someone like Griot's offer one and keep the price down.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why don't Rupe's or Flex offer paint thickness gauges?

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Well, I stepped on my paint thickness gauge last night and broke it. It was a Chinese copy that only gave a single reading. So I started thinking about buying a new one and a thought occurred to me.

Isn't it kind of irresponsible for Rupe's, Flex, Griot's and Mequiars to offer all these polishers, polishes, pads, etc. to polish your paint, but not a single one of them considers a paint thickness gauge a worthwhile product to offer.

We have all kinds of overpriced lights, extension cords and such offered. They are supposed to be the premier makers of polishing tools and accessories aren't they?

I'll assume that a Rupe's or Flex would price theirs out of many people's reach, but I would like to see someone like Griot's offer one and keep the price down.
    While Rupes is an actual manufacturer, Flex tools I’m told are only designed by Flex and made in China, as for Griots they rebadged Chinese DAS etc. The Rupes swirl finder light as an eg. is actually a Scangrip so outside of foams,abrasives and machines, anything else will be outsourced.

3. Dislikes WaxMaster1 disliked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post

While Rupes is an actual manufacturer, Flex tools I’m told are only designed by Flex and made in China.

Wow!

I'm glad I'm here to clear up the above misinformation.

FLEX tools are manufacture in Germany. FLEX is owned by Chervon in China but their tools are manufactured and assembled in Steinheim, Germany.

I've PERSONALLY toured the assembly line TWICE and I pretty sure I'm the ONLY guy that's visited both FLEX and RUPES AND DOCUMENTED both trips.

Germany Flex Plant Tour Pictures

From my Trip to RUPES in Milan, Italy as the Guest Speaker for their International Sales Meeting in 2014

Top Secret Pictures – How Rupes Bigfoot Polishers are made!

The obligatory RUPES shot

5. Thanks Ronin47 thanked for this post
    Likes Ronin47, custmsprty, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I figured it would probably actually be made somewhere in China. If it were made to Rupe's, Flex's or Griot's specs and standards I would still be more willing to buy it compared to a totally off-brand on Ebay.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Wow!

I'm glad I'm here to clear up the above misinformation.

FLEX tools are manufacture in Germany. FLEX is owned by Chervon in China but their tools are manufactured and assembled in Steinheim, Germany.

I've PERSONALLY toured the assembly line TWICE and I pretty sure I'm the ONLY guy that's visited both FLEX and RUPES AND DOCUMENTED both trips.

Germany Flex Plant Tour Pictures

From my Trip to RUPES in Milan, Italy as the Guest Speaker for their International Sales Meeting in 2014

Top Secret Pictures – How Rupes Bigfoot Polishers are made!

The obligatory RUPES shot

Mike, did you tour the Griots manufacturing plant lol.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Mike, did you tour the Griots manufacturing plant lol.

Nope but if I could I would.

Tell you what though.... their polishers are solid as a rock. I also have very good luck maintaining pad rotation with them. In my classes, I'm often surprised by how much everyone likes them compared to all the other free-spinning orbital polishers.

That's the cool thing about the classes I teach, you don't just get shown one brand of tool. You get to play with all the cool tools and make up your own mind which tool you think is best.

10. Thanks VISITOR thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR, custmsprty, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike Phillips for pointing this out. Additionally, I DO BELIEVE on any Flex 3401 there is a sticker that is in German and it does say it's made in Germany. BUT DO NOT QUOTE me on that. I haven't looked at the sticker on my Flex for quite a while. I just use it a lot!

But again, the Oracle speaks and we all oblige! I took the Red Pill!....LOL
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that about flex once or twice.
    When the flex 12mm came out some was like shinemate/Adams mini case..

But flex is def made in Germany.

I know Chevron owns then and ego is also a flex sister? Company..so battery's may be China at least..

As for Griot..they come out of the max shine factory as does others..whereas the other half of the Rupes clones come out of ANSI factory.

Machines that come out of the same factory definitely doesn't mean they all have the same quality. Griot is top notch.

13. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While Rupes is an actual manufacturer, Flex tools I’m told are only designed by Flex and made in China, as for Griots they rebadged Chinese DAS etc. The Rupes swirl finder light as an eg. is actually a Scangrip so outside of foams,abrasives and machines, anything else will be outsourced.
    You never cease to amaze me.

LOL...that's how rumors get started and perpetuated on down the line.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

15. Thanks Kamakaz1961 thanked for this post
    Likes TheSteelFoX, WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    I've heard that about flex once or twice.
    When the flex 12mm came out some was like shinemate/Adams mini case..

But flex is def made in Germany.

I know Chevron owns then and ego is also a flex sister? Company..so battery's may be China at least..

As for Griot..they come out of the max shine factory as does others..whereas the other half of the Rupes clones come out of ANSI factory.

Machines that come out of the same factory definitely doesn't mean they all have the same quality. Griot is top notch.
    and just because a product is made there doesn't necessarily mean that all the internals are from there as well. people seem to like their iphone's just fine...

17. Likes custmsprty, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast