autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing pad care

So I'm planning to do a swirl removal this weekend with my Porter Cable polisher and CCS Orange polishing pad (Same pad Mike uses in video).

Do you clean this pad when you are finished so you can use it again? If so, how?

Or do you just trash it after 1 use?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing pad care

You can clean them.

I used a dedicated pad cleaner similar to the McKees 37 offering.

Before I had that I would use soap and water.

Once you have washed and rinsed them, set them face down on a grate, or cookie cooling rack to dry.

3. Thanks reaper8253 thanked for this post
    Likes Hammer77, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carlg View Post
    So I'm planning to do a swirl removal this weekend with my Porter Cable polisher and CCS Orange polishing pad (Same pad Mike uses in video).

Do you clean this pad when you are finished so you can use it again? If so, how?

Or do you just trash it after 1 use?
    Not only do you clean them after you're done, but you clean them while you're working too if you only have a pad or two. Because you really should be doing paint correction with 6-8 pads. If you don't own 6-8 pads, you're going to be cleaning them as you go.

Post Thanks / Like

And cleaning as you go is marginally effective. Once the pad is saturated it loses its effectiveness. It also heats up which can lead to separation from the velcro and break down of the foam. You really need more pads before polishing an enitre vehicle.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    And cleaning as you go is marginally effective. Once the pad is saturated it loses its effectiveness. It also heats up which can lead to separation from the velcro and break down of the foam. You really need more pads before polishing an enitre vehicle.
    I'm a newbie but this was my experience. Because I'm frugal, I got just a couple each of the compounding and polishing pads I was using for my first ever polish. I figured I would just clean them on the go by blowing them out with an air compressor. They ended up getting saturated and overheated because I didn't have enough so they got ruined and I had to wait for more to arrive.
    I ended up having to buy 6 pads of each anyways but I ruined the first 2 by trying to be frugal.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Autogeekonline mobile app

7. Likes custmsprty, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mckees 37 Pad Cleaner is excellent. Made my white polishing pads look completely white after using Menzerna 3500 which is a gray polish. Pad would get a nice dark gray color before cleaning and then nearly spotless after.

9. Likes RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Themikerobe View Post
    I'm a newbie but this was my experience. Because I'm frugal, I got just a couple each of the compounding and polishing pads I was using for my first ever polish. I figured I would just clean them on the go by blowing them out with an air compressor. They ended up getting saturated and overheated because I didn't have enough so they got ruined and I had to wait for more to arrive.
    I ended up having to buy 6 pads of each anyways but I ruined the first 2 by trying to be frugal.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Agreed.

I posted not too long ago about this. I went from trying to use 6-8 on my Ram to now about 20. Yes, about 20.

A lot of surface area on the truck, and I find the frequent pad changes not only does a better polishing job, but makes the pads much easier to clean.

(I'd rather spend a minute per pad afterward than trying to scrub the hell out of 6 of them.).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

So I did my convertible Mustang today (less polishing needed since there is no roof to do).

I used 3 pads.

When I was done, I washed them with soap and water and they seem to be fine and ready to go for next time!!

Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ good link

I use 3D Towel Kleen. I mix some in a 5 gal bucket, then as I finish with a pad, I throw it into the solution. I also make sure to clean the pad on the fly in between sections. Once I'm done the job, I have some more Towel Kleen mixed up in a spray bottle and follow the guide above. I use a brush at first, then kneed the pads by hand, and finally rinse them. I then squeeze the water out into a microfiber towel, then air dry them on a laundry rack.

How to clean your foam pad on the fly

How to dry a foam pad after hand washing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast