autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Upgrading my Sun Joe SPX3000 Pressure Washer

I know there's a few threads on the matter, but there's also a lot of conflicting information. I want to 1) upgrade the hose on the PW to something better and longer so I can keep the PW stationary as I make my way around the car, 2) switch to a pistol-style grip instead of using a wand, and 3) setup quick disconnects where possible. Sun Joe PW's are a pain in the rear due to the non-standard connections they use, so I want to make sure I have it right.

The Hose: 50-Feet SIMPSON Cleaning Hose
    The Gun: MTM PW Gun with Built-In Swivel

Now it's getting those two upgrades connected to the PW. From the research I've done, I believe this is what I would need...

The Hose brings a M22-15mm to M22-14mm Adapter, turning the non-standard connection to a standard connection..
    M22-14mm to 3/8" Quick Disconnect Plug - Connects to the M22-15mm to the now M22-14mm Adapter on the PW..
    M22-14mm to 3/8" Quick Disconnect NPT - M22-14mm side connects to the hose (this is a 2-pack, both hose ends get one of these) and the 3/8" NPT would connect with the Plug on the PW..
    3/8" Male to 3/8" Quick Disconnect Plug - 3/8" Male connects to the 3/8" Female on the PW Gun.. 3/8" Disconnect Plug connects to other hose end..
    1/4" Male to 1/4" Quick Disconnect NPT - 1/4" Male connects to the 1/4" Female on the PW Gun.. 1/4" Quick Disconnect NPT will be used to connect Foam Cannons and other accessories

I think I got it, at least I hope I do.. If something about my thought process is incorrect please let me know..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrading my Sun Joe SPX3000 Pressure Washer

you can get a great gun for about $30 or so, no need to $60

Also note that it may be frowned upon to have nothing but links to outside vendors (forum rules)
    and they are pretty strict.

I did the same conversion as you w/ my SJ3001. A fair number of adaptors and whatnot but now everything is standard and quick release.
    Consider the SJ extension hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is gonna be connecting your 50ft Simpson hose to the SunJoe unit. The hose to pressure washer connection is some wonky, proprietary, male, kinda-quick release-looking plug in fitting.

14mm to 15mm will let you connect standard fittings to tool-end end of SunJoe hose but it's the hose to machine connection that's gonna trip you up.

Thought someone somewhere might found a solution but never read about success or failure of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Just continue to use the original hose and get a coupler of the right size & gender and attach your extension hose to that.

I have the 3001 which has a 'built-in' hose due to the reel

5. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem is gonna be connecting your 50ft Simpson hose to the SunJoe unit. The hose to pressure washer connection is some wonky, proprietary, male, kinda-quick release-looking plug in fitting.

14mm to 15mm will let you connect standard fittings to tool-end end of SunJoe hose but it's the hose to machine connection that's gonna trip you up.

Thought someone somewhere might found a solution but never read about success or failure of that.

Using an adapter like this one should solve that problem right? This would turn the awkward connection coming out of the PW into a regular M22-14mm connection, allowing me to attach everything listed above.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

you can get a great gun for about $30 or so, no need to $60

MTM also sells another PW Gun that runs for about $35. However, this one is more expensive because it has stainless steel internals and more importantly has a built-in swivel, and swivels can get pretty expensive on their own from what I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harris View Post
    Using an adapter like this one should solve that problem right? This would turn the awkward connection coming out of the PW into a regular M22-14mm connection, allowing me to attach everything listed above.
    Ah...reading is fundamental. I was assuming all SunJoes had the weird hose to machine fitting but apparently only the 3001 w reel has the odd hose to machine connection. Oops, disregard all I said.

Here's another sunjoe thread if you wanna look it over; at the end has some pics of what MIGHT work for the spx3001...which is pretty irrelevant as you have the spx3000 which apparently has mote normal hose to machine connection

SunJoe SPX3000 longer hose?

SunJoe SPX3000 longer hose?

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the Suttner ST-2000

Post Thanks / Like

I thought computer cable connections were varied and numerous - the sunjoe unit pretty much tops them for sure.
    2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Crystal White Pearl, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Oxford White Clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of the spx3001 hose with oddball end. PIA if ya wanna upgrade hose

12. Thanks LunchMoney thanked for this post