autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got overspray on a newly purchased car, claying/compounding/polishing is do little to nothing to remove it. What are my next options?

Pretty much what the title says. Previous owner had the headlights restored and the person used some sort of clear gloss paint to seal it. He didn't quite tape and cover everything so there's a decent amount of overspray on it. And in the right lights it's extremely noticeable.
    Claying and polishing did absolutely nothing. Compounding seems to be sort of taking it off slightly but it seems to be more or less just polishing the overspray if that makes sense.
    What are my next options?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I've got overspray on a newly purchased car, claying/compounding/polishing is do little to nothing to remove it. What are my next options?

Maybe a light wetsand with 2500 or 3000 grit, but unless you're totally comfortable doing so I wouldn't recommend it.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I've got overspray on a newly purchased car, claying/compounding/polishing is do little to nothing to remove it. What are my next options?

If compounding doesn't do it, you have two options. Wet sand or razor blade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richie311 View Post
    Pretty much what the title says. Previous owner had the headlights restored and the person used some sort of clear gloss paint to seal it. He didn't quite tape and cover everything so there's a decent amount of overspray on it. And in the right lights it's extremely noticeable.
    Claying and polishing did absolutely nothing. Compounding seems to be sort of taking it off slightly but it seems to be more or less just polishing the overspray if that makes sense.
    What are my next options?

Welcome to the forum. First off, some pictures would be helpful. Secondly, you said you used clay. Can you please explain what grade clay you used??
    Also, you stated you compounded, what what pads, what tool, what products??

I would not jump right to wet-sanding OEM paint (there are other methods to exhaust before going that route), Be aware that the edges around headlight fittings, corners and seams are areas have thin layers of paint and CC. Read this article first: Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Secondly, I would try a heaver grade of clay, start with a medium. There is a possibility you may end up marring the paint, however, polishing with a DA, product/pad combo will eliminate the marring. See this video: YouTube

Mineral spirits may be another option.

For compounding, try using a microfiber applicator with a fair amount of product and work it in by hand over in small sections where there is overspray. You can exert more force in a tight area, you may have to go over the area with a DA/Polish.

Hope this helps!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Welcome to the forum. First off, some pictures would be helpful. Secondly, you said you used clay. Can you please explain what grade clay you used??
    Also, you stated you compounded, what what pads, what tool, what products??

I would not jump right to wet-sanding OEM paint (there are other methods to exhaust before going that route), Be aware that the edges around headlight fittings, corners and seams are areas have thin layers of paint and CC. Read this article first: Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Secondly, I would try a heaver grade of clay, start with a medium. There is a possibility you may end up marring the paint, however, polishing with a DA, product/pad combo will eliminate the marring. See this video: YouTube

Mineral spirits may be another option.

For compounding, try using a microfiber applicator with a fair amount of product and work it in by hand over in small sections where there is overspray. You can exert more force in a tight area, you may have to go over the area with a DA/Polish.

Hope this helps!
    I've got overspray on a newly purchased car, claying/compounding/polishing is do little to nothing to remove it. What are my next options?-image2-jpgI've got overspray on a newly purchased car, claying/compounding/polishing is do little to nothing to remove it. What are my next options?-image1-1-jpg

On the picture on the right directly right of the headlight is where I've tried various clays and compounding. The clays I used were from the Meguiar's G1016 kit and the Mother's California Gold Clay kit which I believe are not aggresive. Could you reccomend some medium and heavy grades of clay? The Compounding tools i used were a Griot's 6" DA, Meguiar's compounding MF pad, and GG's BOSS Fast Correcting Cream. I also tried it with an Orange LCC pad. I did this several times and got basically no where besides the overspray only getting a bit more polished.

I should also say the car is a '08 Lexus ES350 which I've been told has fairly soft paint(which looking at the chips/blemishes on the hood I'd agree) so I'm hesitant to try really aggresive methods like Wetsand and razor blades but I'm not afraid to if it will get me started.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richie311 View Post
    I've got overspray on a newly purchased car, claying/compounding/polishing is do little to nothing to remove it. What are my next options?-image2-jpgI've got overspray on a newly purchased car, claying/compounding/polishing is do little to nothing to remove it. What are my next options?-image1-1-jpg

On the picture on the right directly right of the headlight is where I've tried various clays and compounding. The clays I used were from the Meguiar's G1016 kit and the Mother's California Gold Clay kit which I believe are not aggresive. Could you reccomend some medium and heavy grades of clay? The Compounding tools i used were a Griot's 6" DA, Meguiar's compounding MF pad, and GG's BOSS Fast Correcting Cream. I also tried it with an Orange LCC pad. I did this several times and got basically no where besides the overspray only getting a bit more polished.

I should also say the car is a '08 Lexus ES350 which I've been told has fairly soft paint(which looking at the chips/blemishes on the hood I'd agree) so I'm hesitant to try really aggresive methods like Wetsand and razor blades but I'm not afraid to if it will get me started.

Welcome to AG! Wow...did the owner do that himself? I would hope someone didn't charge him to do that to the car. If I'm seeing that picture right it doesn't look like they taped it very much at all? Not knowing exactly what it is, or how long it's been on there it's hard to make a recommendation. I think I might try mineral spirits on a spot and see if that does anything.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Welcome to AG! Wow...did the owner do that himself? I would hope someone didn't charge him to do that to the car. If I'm seeing that picture right it doesn't look like they taped it very much at all? Not knowing exactly what it is, or how long it's been on there it's hard to make a recommendation. I think I might try mineral spirits on a spot and see if that does anything.
    He said a friend tried, and it's been on there a few weeks. I've tried paint thinner to no avail, I'll give MS a try and see what that does.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to this area?

I would always try the least aggressive method first. Starting with a heavier clay: Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive - C2100
    Then as stated above mineral spirits, and or a paint cleanser. You could also take a small amount of M105 or M101 on a microfiber applicator and work a small area by hand.

Wet sand would be last resort, and if you opted, I'd start w/ 3m Trizact (5000) if possible. It would be a "scuff-n-buff", meaning a very few light section passes, with no pressure. You're only looking to remove the contaminants bonded to the paint, not level the paint as you would doing paint-correction. And you would have to use the rule of thumb as you get close to the body line on the wheel-well. That body line paint will be very thin, so measure your thumb nail from line, and mask it off with tape... Don't go near the body-line.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to this area?
    [url=https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/124882/title/overspray/cat/3521][/url

I would always try the least aggressive method first. Starting with a heavier clay: https://www.autogeek.net/meprdeclag.html
    Then as stated above mineral spirits, and or a paint cleanser. You could also take a small amount of M105 or M101 on a microfiber applicator and work a small area by hand.

Wet sand would be last resort, and if you opted, I'd start w/ 3m Trizact (5000) if possible. It would be a "scuff-n-buff", meaning a very few light section passes, with no pressure. You're only looking to remove the contaminants bonded to the paint, not level the paint as you would doing paint-correction. But be cautious and use the "rule of thumb." As you start to get to the crease or body line of the wheel well, that body line is going to be very thin on paint. It would take nothing to burn right over that body line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If compounding doesn't do it, you have two options. Wet sand or razor blade.
    Can you give us a tutorial of how to take a razor blade to the paint? Your car’s black.. Demonstrate on yours? Lol.

11. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast