autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

So who does motorcycles?

While doing some work for my uncle, both he and my ‘uncle in law’ I guess is the technical term, asked if I work on bikes at all. Truthfully I didn’t really have a great answer for them, but it got me to thinking. Especially since it seems to be a niche that isn’t really filled in my area.

A motorcycle is something that people will definitely pay to have done right. There are added precautions such as electrical, no slippery stuff on the important parts (seats pegs grips etc but largely, not much different from cars, no?

I would think it’s a great candidate for rinseless or waterless, some matte paint to be careful of, and plenty of metal/chrome polish. I already have a long neck nano that I’d love to put to use.

So, does anyone do motorcycles and are there any specific products or tools outside the normal auto stuff that is crucial to do a bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So who does motorcycles?

I do Harleys only. If your going to do them get a jack!! I use a couple of tables to lay the parts on, I do a lot of baggers. I have a road glide so I know how to remove the parts; bags, side covers, gas tank, drop the front turn signals. Removing these parts make it a lot easier to polish for me, I don't have a nano, I want one bad though.
    They take a lot more time then you would think, charge accordingly

3. Thanks JCDetails thanked for this post
    Likes JCDetails, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming you work on more showpiece baggers than daily riders? If it’s typical to have to remove THAT much (I’m ok pulling seats and bags, but that’s about it) I might avoid some of the crazier jobs.

But stuff like sport bikes or sportsters seem, to me, to be easy to do without Big disassembly

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan View Post
    I do Harleys only. If your going to do them get a jack!! I use a couple of tables to lay the parts on, I do a lot of baggers. I have a road glide so I know how to remove the parts; bags, side covers, gas tank, drop the front turn signals. Removing these parts make it a lot easier to polish for me, I don't have a nano, I want one bad though.
    They take a lot more time then you would think, charge accordingly
    Detailing a motorcycle is in my opinion more difficult than a car. The nooks and crannies are difficult to get to. Tons of different textures and materials. Disassembly sounds like it is the way to go. Rinseless and waterless washes are way to go with MC’s.

Post Thanks / Like

I only do my motorcycle and I don't really even like doing it. Being a pretty big Harley, there are lots of areas where I can use a 3" polisher like my Rupes or Flex however, there are still many areas which need done by hand. I'll take the bags off as well as the side covers. I also have a removable TourPak which makes it easier to clean. I don't know how to make this pic bigger. If you hang out on a Harley forum, these guys will maybe slap a coat of Turtle Wax on once a year....maybe. There are only a handful of truly knowledgeable guys who know what they're doing. I don't think the majority of them would be interested in paying for a detail, some will though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So who does motorcycles?-tn_ultra1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    I only do my motorcycle and I don't really even like doing it. Being a pretty big Harley, there are lots of areas where I can use a 3" polisher like my Rupes or Flex however, there are still many areas which need done by hand. I'll take the bags off as well as the side covers. I also have a removable TourPak which makes it easier to clean. I don't know how to make this pic bigger. If you hang out on a Harley forum, these guys will maybe slap a coat of Turtle Wax on once a year....maybe. There are only a handful of truly knowledgeable guys who know what they're doing. I don't think the majority of them would be interested in paying for a detail, some will though.
    Totally agree! It must be a badge of honor to have your bike dirty. Also they think that Topcoat is the greatest thing ever.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done a few motorcycles, but I never know how to price it when someone asks.