autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad behavior....what am I doing wrong?

I'm noticing something with my pads that I'm wondering if I should be concerned about or if anyone's experienced the same type of problem.

Primarily, I do AIO jobs. HD speed is my product of choice though I've used 360 in the past. I clean pads via a LC System 3000D pad washer which currently has snappy clean in it. For really beat up pads I'll hit them with some APC before I then soak them with the solution and run them in the washer. I clean on the fly either with a brush which doesn't seem to me to work all that well, or on a thsirt/shorts leg/cotton cloth.

I do have a bad habit of sometimes overusing product. To combat this, I'll sometimes 'spin out' the excess product, or dab it out of the pad onto the surface to work the next section rather than applying more product. I know it's not 100% correct, but it's field expedient and works most of the time.

Particularly with LC thinpros after a couple uses, and even one of my BOSS 5.5" pads, I notice the cells of the foam looking like they're being sort of torn open. I run my Rupes Mini and my G15 at between speed 3-4 with these jobs, so not overly excessive and I don't generate much heat. It seems like I should be able to get more mileage out of these pads than I am.

so when these pads start to look like this, it seems to me as if they're shot and need to be tossed. The surface of the pad overall doesn't appear as smooth as when they're new, but I can't say for sure whether their performance has been affected when I've had to use them in this state.

Something I need to get working on is a way to be able to blow pads out while working. My uncle's garage that i've been working out of recently has compressed air and reels, but I need to set up a spurring bucket and spray bottle a la whitedetails so I can be better about residue control in general.

I really haven't used Rupes pads outside of some product testing but I haven't seen them exhibit this same problem. Would I be better off looking into LC HDOs or B&S Lo-pros than dealing with thinpros and BOSS pads?
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad behavior....what am I doing wrong?

Could you take a picture of what you mean?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

“I do have a bad habit of sometimes overusing product. To combat this, I'll sometimes 'spin out' the excess product”

Stop doing those two things.

Post Thanks / Like

How many pads do you use per job?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

That sort of sounds like how pads wear naturally.

The more pads you use during a detail, the longer their life span.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like too much product. Liquid heats up fast with friction so that makes the pads too hot. Reduce the amount of polish per section and don't put a ton of pressure on the machine. The speed you're working at is pretty typical so that isn't the issue.
    Bruno Soares

8. Likes dlc95, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    That sort of sounds like how pads wear naturally.

The more pads you use during a detail, the longer their life span.
    Agree 100%. I learned the hard way even though I read "more pads are better" a million times. My first few sessions, I used 6-8 pads for my truck. I'm now up to almost 20.

Hood-3

Doors-2 each.

Front fenders- 1 each

Bed sides-3 each

Roof- 1

Tailgate-2

Front/back bumper-1

Saves on pad wear, and the result is much better IMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes dlc95, JCDetails liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Agree 100%. I learned the hard way even though I read "more pads are better" a million times. My first few sessions, I used 6-8 pads for my truck. I'm now up to almost 20.

Hood-3

Doors-2 each.

Front fenders- 1 each

Bed sides-3 each

Roof- 1

Tailgate-2

Front/back bumper-1

That makes total sense and is what I’d follow for a full on correction. However, I assumed when doing an AIO job it falls somewhere between correction and product spreading (where you could theoretically do a car in 1-2 pads depending upon product soak). I tend to use 1-3 3” pads depending on the car, and 2-3 5” pads depending on the car, more if it’s bigger or the product is soaking more.

I’ve gotten better about product portioning but still have tweaking to do. I haven’t been able to snap a pic but from other threads I’ve seen with pics of pad failure due to heat or overuse, it’s probably exactly that.

I just bought an 8pk of griots boss pads. I had been considering HDOs but don’t think I need to reinvent the wheel yet. I will say that even though thinpros have been working great for me the g15 is definitely smoother with the boss pads. Don’t know why I didn’t go with that sooner.

I think I’ll stick with thinpros in 3” though as I don’t think the 3” boss pads will be much of a match for my rupes mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like you are trying to stretch the pads work a little to long. Keep an eye on when it's starts to dust all the sudden and spent products slings. Is a sign for saturated pad. Even the pad can start shread some.

It's hard to tell when a pad has reach it's lifetime. You always sees people reviewing with new pads. But they are quite effective a long time.

Double or tripple the amount of pads you are useing know. A pad per panel is a good mark to use and if big panels 2 pads. The AIO will be more effective and the results better since you are working cleaner too. You can use the pad washer to clean the pads and rotate them to the amount of pads so the first cleaned pad allows to dry. The amount of pads depends on the environment you work in and how warm and dry it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Hood-3

Doors-2 each.

Front fenders- 1 each

Bed sides-3 each

Roof- 1

Tailgate-2

Front/back bumper-1

im confused. during your correction and polishing process, you use 20 different pads?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast