autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What actually happens when you top a ceramic coating with a wax or sealant?

Does anybody know a source of information about this? Assuming a particular coating can be topped, like PBL for example. Can this cause bonding issues leaving you with a hazy or oily mess?

Will a wax just wash off of It? I'd like to learn more but I can't find any legitamite sources or articles.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What actually happens when you top a ceramic coating with a wax or sealant?

It will not leave a greasy oily mess unless you slather the car with wax. Most of the wax should come off after the next wash. Remember coating is applied to deter contaminants from the vehicle and make the washing process easier. To the coatng, the wax is a "foreign contaminant" that will not stick on to the coating. Waste of time and effort to apply wax on a coated car.

Mike Phillips

Probably nothing happens if you're using a NON cleaning wax or sealant. In this case, the wax or sealant just coats over and sits on the surface so to speak.

Then your paint takes on the benefits, features and characteristics of the wax or sealant until it wears off and then you get the benefits, features and characteristics of the coating.

In my opinion, applying a wax or sealant over a coating defeats the purpose of using the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    In my opinion, applying a wax or sealant over a coating defeats the purpose of using the coating.

Agree completely.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

What actually happens when you top a ceramic coating with a wax or sealant?

The guys applying a wax or sealant over a coating know they are wasting money and time and in some cases even compromising the coating's advantages. Plus it's worse than that....to maintain a show car shine, paint should be polished at least once a year and preferably twice even if it's a garage queen. To keep that show car shine, polishing removes any LSP including coatings and requires a complete reapplication of the LSP or in the case of the "wax over coating" addicts the reapplication of two LSPs. It's quite a marketing achievement I must admit.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Technically speaking, a coating such as CQuartz, can have its own brand spray sealant (Reload) applied as a top coat without adverse affects.

Not sure if other coatings have an equivalent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Technically speaking, a coating such as CQuartz, can have its own brand spray sealant (Reload) applied as a top coat without adverse affects.

Not sure if other coatings have an equivalent.
    Ceramic Pro has "Sport", Gyeon has "Cure"
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

instead of wax or sealant i would apply booster products that were designed to work with coatings..Hydro blue is easy to use..

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

but then why does this site feature products like blackfire fire over ice coatings where a coating is applied followed by a wax is it isnt effective and seemingly counter productive? Or is this for more of a permanently bonding coating like cquartz 9h.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you this right now, doing a RW or WW that has wax in it will change the sharp "HD look" of your paint, seen easily on my metallic black paint for sure, so I can only imagine what an actual hand applied wax or even spray wax would do!

JUST DONT DO IT!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast