autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand New Truck - Looking to Keep it Looking Nice

I have had my new F150 for a few weeks. The truck was built in Aug '17 and spent its days on the SC Coast until I bought it. I am looking to keep it looking good. I have previously used NTX but am looking for something that will last longer.

It needs a good claying and there are some very slight Dealer Installed Halos.
    I don't have a DA now, maybe later. Looking for something to get it through its first summer. Collinite 845 seems to be popular on the F150 forums but it seems to be referred to here as a winter sealant. Looked at Klasse but SG seems to be temperamental. Thinking of Klasse AIO topped by the Collinite on the paint and chrome but haven't seen any reference to this in the last few years.

I am thinking:
    • Dawn wash
    • Clay
    • Klasse AIO
    • Collinite 845
    • Maintain with a spray wax

Thoughts?
    Brand New Truck - Looking to Keep it Looking Nice-img_1020-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: Brand New Truck - Looking to Keep it Looking Nice

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Nice truck

Quote Originally Posted by PHolder View Post

I have had my new F150 for a few weeks. The truck was built in Aug '17 and spent its days on the SC Coast until I bought it. I am looking to keep it looking good. I have previously used NTX but am looking for something that will last longer.
    I still have all the "Lab Sample" bottles from when NXT was being developed here in my office. That was back in 2003, lots of stories about this product.

It needs a good claying and there are some very slight Dealer Installed Halos.

I don't have a DA now, maybe later.
    Hmmm..... If you want to keep that truck looking good and remove the holograms, then I'd strongly recommend getting an orbital polisher. To me, the best bang for the buck for the average car owner is the Griot's 6" DA. Here's an article I wrote for this tool last year, TONS of info, you could even say there's a TRUCK load of info in just this one thread...

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

But I read you... maybe later...

Looking for something to get it through its first summer. Collinite 845 seems to be popular on the F150 forums but it seems to be referred to here as a winter sealant. Looked at Klasse but SG seems to be temperamental. Thinking of Klasse AIO topped by the Collinite on the paint and chrome but haven't seen any reference to this in the last few years.

I am thinking:
    • Dawn wash
    • Clay
    • Klasse AIO
    • Collinite 845
    • Maintain with a spray wax

Thoughts?
    The Klasse AIO is a good light duty cleaner/wax, it will work like a paint cleaner and leave some kind of protection behind, a good base to build off of.

Will the truck be parked outside all of the time?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

I am not looking to get a DA just yet. I want to but not now. My priority is to get the paint and trim protected for the summer and funds-wise get a bed liner and cover.
    Maybe Santa will bring me one.

The truck is in a parking garage M-F 9-5 but is otherwise in the elements.

Post Thanks / Like

Would just wash it, iron x it, Clay it then use the 845 if that’s what you like. I personally see no need to use both klasse and 845.

You can top (since you mentioned the idea of it ) with Optimum car wax or Meguiars d156 there are others out there but those are the two off my head that work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum....very nice truck. To me, a parking garage is outside, sometimes worse because of all the crap that falls on it from the floor above while cars are moving around. I have a decent amount of the new BlackFire AIO if you want to try it....I can ship you a 4oz sample...just PM me ur address. If you want to go straight wax, and have one that behaves like a sealant, you can not go wrong with Collinite 845

Post Thanks / Like

Nice f150, I would get one as a third vehicle in the family for dump runs and cleanups. However, next time we might either get a ranger or bronco. Skip the dawn wash, it is not going to strip things. Just mix a bit of all purpose cleaner like simple green in with your wash, make sure its a two bucket and grit guard one always>dry the vehicle>iron x or iron decon the paint should have stuff on there>clay the vehicle>Polish it and do not let the dealer do washes or any detailing on it. Then seal it. My favorite is collinite 476s and should easily last a year in the carolinas

Post Thanks / Like

I use 845 year round on my daily drivers (boutique waxes/short durability products on my Camaro). 845 provides great protection and wild gloss in my opinion. It has even more gloss the day after. I agree with Bill, wash, iron decon, clay, polish if you get a DA now, if not just apply the 845.

Beautiful truck. I'll always have a soft spot for standard cabs, especially short box standards.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Any experience with Griots Poly-Wax or One-Step Sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Welcome to the forum....very nice truck. To me, a parking garage is outside, sometimes worse because of all the crap that falls on it from the floor above while cars are moving around. I have a decent amount of the new BlackFire AIO if you want to try it....I can ship you a 4oz sample...just PM me ur address. If you want to go straight wax, and have one that behaves like a sealant, you can not go wrong with Collinite 845
    Thanks for the offer. If i was to use the BlackFire AIO, what pad would I use to apply by hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!

Before I bought my DA, I used the KAIO/845 combo on my truck, and got at least 8-9 months out of the combo.

Both are super easy to apply/remove by hand as well.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast