autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How often do you wash - what about LSP degradation

I've always wondered this. How often should I wash a truck that sits outside, driven maybe twice a week and either has a wax/sealant or coating on it.

I usually wash once a week and use something as a drying aid, such as aquawax, sonax BSD, Echo/Reload mix etc

Could this be the reason the waxes / sealants don't last as long as any others on this forum? Am I washing too much?

Am I washing too hard possibly? Any pointers? Yes I use the double bucket method.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How often do you wash - what about LSP degradation

I believe it depends on where you live, time of year, and prep work.

I wash mine once a week and usually spray hydro blue or wet coat every 4th wash, roughly once a month, and it is garage kept. I dont think you are washing too much.

What waxes and sealants are you using? How long are they lasting on your truck?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Is the paint prepped well? That would be my first question, same as detailrookie. I wash once a week but use spray wax as a drying agent. Never lose gloss since I've been doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

Once a week here. In the summer that is. Always use a good drying aid to maintain the LSP.

Mc Kees 37 Trademark Extender spray wax.

Stoners Speed Bead Detailer.

Are 2 of the best I have used to extend the LSP.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question with regard to LSP degradation as I've wondered the same thing myself.

I cannot go much more than a week before washing my black car. I just can't stand a dirty car. WHen I do it is always with a very gentle wipe with my mitt and copious amount of foam. I use the drip method to remove as much water as possible and then blot dry. And a drying aid.

I am certain that frequency affects the layer of LSP however I like to keep any contaminants from super gluing to the paint. I may be reapplying LSP more often than its advertised life but it always looks clean and shiny.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically wash every one or two weeks depending on weather and my availability.

Two things I can think of:

- What shampoo are you washing with? While I don't think a shampoo will completely degrade most sealants, I think some are stronger than others and they will probably accelerate the aging process over long periods of time. Also, I've seen some temporarily kill the beading properties of the LSP.

- How are you determining the LSP's are gone? Personal example from this week: I washed my wife's car which was coated with McKee's 37 coating about 15 months ago. After washing the vehicle, water wasn't really beading and sheeting was slow during rinsing. I figured the LSP was done. However, when it rained the next day the surface was beading really well again and sheeting fairly quickly. I didn't use any toppers or drying aids.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

How often do you wash - what about LSP degradation

Weekly wash with a spray wax/sealant as drying aid, the LSP is infinity...

Post Thanks / Like

If you truck is not that dirty and only being driven twice a week, maybe look at doing a rinseless or waterless wash if it is not extremely dirty. Like said above, just depends on how it was prepped and what you are using for sealant and LSP. I try to wash once a week or a rinseless if not very dirty and my truck sits outside and driven almost every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, so let me touch a few questions above:

Ive used all the big boys in terms of sealants/waxes :
    Collinite 845 ( looked great, I think it lasted about 4-5 mths)
    Collinite 476 ( hard to remove, and I got a ghosting effect on my paint. I used it only on the roof due to longevity and difficult to remove )
    WDGPS 3.0 ( didnt seem to last beyound 4-5 mths )
    Pinnacle Signature Series II ( Lasted about 2-3 months, looks great, easy to remove etc )
    Wolfgang Fuzion - (Unsure on longevity, looked good but attracted pollen )

I used McKees 37 around October 2018, prepped etc etc per instructions and I have water marks/etchings, beading is jagged It may still be there but doesnt have good water behavior. Once washed and dryed using an aid, looks great still though... Just wish it didnt etch as easy. I have McKees 37 V2, so I'll see how that is going to work.

As far as prep, once a year the truck gets a light polish to remove old sealant/coating etc and to remove list marring. Im not going after a show truck, just a clean looking one. I use Iron-X on it as well.

As far as car wash - Ive used Megs Hyperwash and Duragloss's 902 only. Ive never used anything else.. Maybe I need to change things up?

I have added WG uber into the bucket here and there...

As far as drying aids: Ive used Aquawax, V07, Echo/Reload mix ( more often I use this ), Sonax BSD. I like to switch it up, just because.

I use nice MF mitts, double bucket method, grit guards, good drying towels etc etc.

I just bought the FinishKare sealant and see how that works out. I might use that on the truck in the meantime, because I dont have a garage, just a big driveway with shading, I have to wait for the coating to be applied, pollen etc might bond.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about this lately because I wash 1 to 2 times per week always using Reset. 2x a week is excessive, and I'll likely cut it down to 1x per week going into fall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast