autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry CQUK removal process

So, I got rear ended this Wednesday on my way to work. Damage is very minimal - indentation in the bumper, micro cracks in the paint. Although minimal, it will still need to be either replaced or repaired (unlikely). Anyhow, at fault driver insurance will cover repairs and I will be turning the car in tomorrow. I did 2 step and CQUK coating earlier in January and was really happy with the results and the looks of the car. Since the car will be in the shop for repairs the chances they will mess the paint up are extremely high and I'm getting ready myself (mostly mentally) that I will need to do correction again (do you guys know if the wash the car in the body shops???) which will require coating removal.

With all that said, what is the best way to get around it? I've GGFCC that I've used for compounding stage, a little bit of clear cut and D300. As for the pads selection I have some Meg MF cutting disks as well as Orange Force pads for my 3401. Which combo will work the best for coating removal? How can I tell that it has been remove after xxx number of passes/set?

Thanks for your help folks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQUK removal process

Tell them not to wash it when done. You will need to let the new bumper gas out for about a month before sealing. You may only need CQuartz Essence Plus to touch up any light marring. No need to buff out the entire car and coat if not needed. The damage will come from the washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Tell them not to wash it when done. You will need to let the new bumper gas out for about a month before sealing. You may only need CQuartz Essence Plus to touch up any light marring. No need to buff out the entire car and coat if not needed. The damage will come from the washing.
    Do they usually wetsand/polish after painting? If so, would they do it with bumper installed? In this case i’d imagine adjacent panels would get a ton of damage from shop “buffing”

Never been to an accident in 14 years behind the wheel therefore not really aware of how this all works

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshisa View Post
    So, I got rear ended this Wednesday on my way to work. Damage is very minimal - indentation in the bumper, micro cracks in the paint. Although minimal, it will still need to be either replaced or repaired (unlikely). Anyhow, at fault driver insurance will cover repairs and I will be turning the car in tomorrow. I did 2 step and CQUK coating earlier in January and was really happy with the results and the looks of the car. Since the car will be in the shop for repairs the chances they will mess the paint up are extremely high and I'm getting ready myself (mostly mentally) that I will need to do correction again (do you guys know if the wash the car in the body shops???) which will require coating removal.

With all that said, what is the best way to get around it? I've GGFCC that I've used for compounding stage, a little bit of clear cut and D300. As for the pads selection I have some Meg MF cutting disks as well as Orange Force pads for my 3401. Which combo will work the best for coating removal? How can I tell that it has been remove after xxx number of passes/set?

Thanks for your help folks
    I got rear ended as well in my 18 MB E400 Coupe. Almost no damage though it bothers me enough to do something about it. I was stopped at a light and a woman behind me bumps me a bit hard as the light turned green. Enough to slightly dent the bumperette. I’m so glad that this little piece prevented the woman from damaging the main part of the bumper. She had more damage than me in her Honda Accord the the cop didn’t think it was enough to warrant writing a report. I went to the station laterto demand a case number because this woman ( though she admits it was her fault) may freak out when she sees the cost of MB parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CQUK removal process-ccae7d10-6e86-4263-99a5-3827c06eb4fe-jpg   CQUK removal process-0984e823-f08c-4ea2-b806-18ba0e5a8836-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=parshisa;1569025]Do they usually wetsand/polish after painting? If so, would they do it with bumper installed? In this case i’d imagine adjacent panels would get a ton of damage from shop “buffing”

Never been to an accident in 14 years behind the wheel therefore not really aware of how this all works

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app[/QUOTE

I'm assuming they are replacing the bumper. Bumper is primed and needs to be painted. I can't see them painting it on car, so the surrounding panels should not get marred.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
    I got rear ended as well in my 18 MB E400 Coupe. Almost no damage though it bothers me enough to do something about it. I was stopped at a light and a woman behind me bumps me a bit hard as the light turned green. Enough to slightly dent the bumperette. I’m so glad that this little piece prevented the woman from damaging the main part of the bumper. She had more damage than me in her Honder Accord the the coupe didn’t think it was enough to warrant writing a report. I went to the station letter to demand a case number because this woman ( though she admits it was her fault) may freak out when she sees the cost of MB parts.
    I feel your pain. She was likely texting or doing something else but not paying attention

Post Thanks / Like

They WILL wash your car! I just had my front bumper repaired and forgot to tell them not to wash my car and of course they did. Tons of water spots all over the car. Luckily I was planning to recoat the car anyway. There will probably be overspray on your car from other cars they are painting so you need to be aware of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    They WILL wash your car! I just had my front bumper repaired and forgot to tell them not to wash my car and of course they did. Tons of water spots all over the car. Luckily I was planning to recoat the car anyway. There will probably be overspray on your car from other cars they are painting so you need to be aware of this.
    Can they DENY not to wash it if I ask? I will print 20 NO WASH signs and put them all over the interior

Post Thanks / Like

If you tell them not to wash it most likely they will not wash, if they remember. We are not the normal customers they get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    If you tell them not to wash it most likely they will not wash, if they remember. We are not the normal customers they get.
    Oh my, I can’t even explain how hear breaking it is to hand my car to someone..so much love and effort I have put and continue on putting and then let someone touch it???? I think i need a stiff drink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast