autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone else ditches the 2 bucket method?

Looks like many others wash how I do:
    I use one wash bucket with a lot of towels and instead of rinsing my wash mitt/towels, I just put them in my laundry bucket and grab a fresh towel from my soap bucket. This way I don't reuse a dirty wash mitt that could scratch like you would with the two bucket method. You also don't have to buy grit guards which make you need more soap cause about a gallon of your soapy water is unusable underneath the grit guard. This the method I've always used.

And now that I have a foam gun, I use no buckets. I mix my Optimum Car Wash and set my foam gun so it uses the recommended 1oz of OCWC per gallon of water and I foam a clean towel and then foam and wash about a quarter of the vehicle at a time. This provides way more lubricity in my experience than a bucket of soapy water and saves me the inconvenience of having to make sure my wash towel stays wet/soapy enough so it's less likely to cause scratches and more convenient.
    And I can't believe it but I've also been using about half as much soap as it took just to fill a bucket with two gallons of soapy water so it saves me and the environment some product. If I did a pre-soak with foam plus the wash, that would be the same amount of soap as a bucket wash but I don't pre-soak since a PH neutral soap apparently won't do anything in a soak that water wouldn't do.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes minerigger, 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lol that car was almost dripping more than the sarcasm in this video, ...almost

I like to use the GDWM with a regular hose foam gun. My 12 towels sitting in a bucket of wash and an empty bucket for the used mf towels. The grit guards in the empty bucket keep the towels off the bottom and out of the the draining dirty water (in theory) even though I don’t plan to use them on the paint again until I wash the towels, I don’t want them sitting in dirty water.

2013 Ford F150 EcoBoost FX4 Supercrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    No.

Reason being is if I were to only use 1-2 mitts I’d have to constantly waste time bending down and repeatedly dunk my arm into a bucket of water and closely inspect the mitt to ensure it’s clean enough to use again.

Not to mention, with all that extra time I’m wasting I’d also be giving more time for soap to possibly dry on the panels, which is never a good thing.

On the other hand: If I have multiple mitts, I can grab 1, go over a panel with 1 side, flip the mitt and go over the panel once again to ensure it’s 100% clean and toss it into my empty bucket and grab the next mitt and continue washing the next panel and so on... Never stopping, never wasting time, never having soap dry on the vehicle, and never getting distracted.

Rinse all the mitts with the hose nozzle [which does a better job at getting them clean] as soon as I’m done with the wash and put the lid on my bucket and proceed to rinsing the soap off the vehicle. IMO It doesn’t get any easier.

I don’t wring the mitts out. I usually just leave them in the clean soapy water with a lid over the bucket. Washing a load with several microfiber items is more productive than washing only 1-2 mitts per load.
    I don't like mitts for some reason, probably because I don't like something wrapped around my wrists or something.

But I do use these clever 8x8 1100 GSM rinseless wash towels the same way as you would use a mitt, with a bucket full of them ready to go, with known "cleanliness" and without wasting time as you stated. These just seem to feel better to me. AGO doesn't sell them (yet) so I get them somewhere else but they are so convenient. You can turn them inside-out and use all four surfaces before throwing them into the "dirty" bucket.

I use a boars hair brush for the lower parts to save my back in conjunction with these.

Anyone else ditches the 2 bucket method?-rinselesswash-jpg
    Last edited by Route246; 04-12-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Typo

5. Likes MikeC78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I adamantly disagree with the idea of your wash bucket getting dirty.

Let me preface by saying this little test is absolutely not the way you should perform multiple washes.

I washed 3 relatively dirty cars using the same wash and rinse water. By the time I was done, there was about 2” of water left in the wash bucket. I let the buckets rest for a week so anything that was going to settle out had a chance to do so. Used 1 mitt for 90% and second mitt for rocker panels and other filthy work.

Results were crystal clear wash water and filthy rinse water. I did not take pictures of the wash mitt, but you will have to take my word that they were still reasonable clean and useable.

Pics of the water with Grit guards removed for clarity. Pics of empty buckets after swiping a finger though. Pic of the paper towel I used to wipe the bottom of the wash bucket; I did not rinse it out; just dumped the water and swiped the paper towel all over the bottom.

My take away was that if you are doing it right, you aren’t putting dirty water or dirty mitts back on the paint and the amount of grit that could be transferred back is insignificant compared to the amount in the mitt after a single swipe of the paint. The system works. But if you have another system that is getting you results, keep it up.

Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post

Let me preface by saying this little test is absolutely not the way you should perform multiple washes.

I washed 3 relatively dirty cars using the same wash and rinse water. By the time I was done, there was about 2” of water left in the wash bucket. I let the buckets rest for a week so anything that was going to settle out had a chance to do so. Used 1 mitt for 90% and second mitt for rocker panels and other filthy work.

Results were crystal clear wash water and filthy rinse water. I did not take pictures of the wash mitt, but you will have to take my word that they were still reasonable clean and useable.

Pics of the water with Grit guards removed for clarity. Pics of empty buckets after swiping a finger though. Pic of the paper towel I used to wipe the bottom of the wash bucket; I did not rinse it out; just dumped the water and swiped the paper towel all over the bottom.

My take away was that if you are doing it right, you aren’t putting dirty water or dirty mitts back on the paint and the amount of grit that could be transferred back is insignificant compared to the amount in the mitt after a single swipe of the paint. The system works. But if you have another system that is getting you results, keep it up.

Although my vehicles are usually pretty clean when I wash them I worry more about the things I cannot see like the acids, salts and other chemical contaminants that can be introduced into the bucket of soap. I try to have my soap/shampoo bucket as contaminant-free as possible. Just my thoughts. I have no scientific data to back this up, either.
    Last edited by Route246; 04-12-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Deleted inline images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post

But it still takes time and energy. I’d rather put the effort it takes to get the mitts clean all at once when I’m done with them, instead of having to interrupt my flow.

9. Likes 1500canoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@Route246. Sounds like you’ve got a good method that works.

11. Likes Route246 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    But you also don't keep the same mitt all along.

But yeah I don't know, I just found the video and found it interesting. Do grit guard actually work well if they now sell that washboard thing?
    Between grit guards and a proper washing method yes the system works flawlessly for me. I have 4 cars I wash in a pretty regular basis.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    @Route246. Sounds like you’ve got a good method that works.
    I'm glad you posted your method here because it sounds similar to mine and since I value time the same way that you do, every few seconds you save is time available to do more during my limited window of opportunity. Two-bucket methods are fine but I found I was wasting a lot of time, effort and back pain. Now, I just toss and grab a fresh one and like you said, all of the cleanup is done in one batch after the paint work is complete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    But I do use these clever 8x8 1100 GSM rinseless wash towels
    Those are super cool, lol. Do they hold onto debris if you happen to pick some up? That's my biggest annoyance using towels, especially the closed loop variety which hold on to eeeeverything.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast