autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car has been corrected too many times what products do you recommend

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    Hi All,

I have a paint gauge and the paint is all reading around 80um so i do not want to do risk clear coat failure by correcting the paint. What specific products do you all recommend that will help fill the marring/wash induced swirls? And will last more than a wash or two? If its a glaze ideally it can be topped by a sealant Duragloss TPP, WG3.0 without affecting durability.

Also what are your typically paint thickness readings for the cars you are correcting, what numbers give you pause?

Thanks!
    My pick would be Poorboys World Black Hole if it's a black or dark colored car / White Diamond if it's white/silver. Then follow up with any quality sealant. That should cover up most of the defects so long as they aren't too terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Essence Plus would be my choice. No abrasives and durable fillers with some SI02 protection. 80 microns would be the stop polishing point for me. A lot of factory clears are in the Nineties so the clear is really thin.

Post Thanks / Like

•IMO; and at this stage of the game:
    -“filling-in” existing defects is an exercise
    in futility. (You may wind up with the de-
    fects becoming even more noticeable, if
    they would wind up with dried-up product
    in them.)

•If it was me:
    -I’d wash and dry the vehicle; and
    then apply a Sealant that “dries clear”.
    -I believe WOWA Sealants would be
    perfect for this task.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I thought it had a very light polish in it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Looks like you're right (just looked it up). However, it looks like it can only be used with waxes or sealants and not a coating, like Essence can (since it's kind of coating itself from what I understand). I suppose it all depends on what the OP wants his LSP to be.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys and gals that have a paint thickness gauge how much does a finishing polish on a finishing pad cut the clearcoat in general?

To use essence on a glosspad does not seem to cut that much and does some filling to. You can use essence by hand too but have something in my mind that it is not as effective as when you get it to heat up to activate the resins and the sio2 in it. Maybe you get something out of it and hope it's the filling ability in it. Then go with the cquk which is the hardest of carpro coatings. And top it up with Gliss.

I have only experience with filling ability products not sold on AGO unfortuneally. It's both glazes and wax that I have used. One product I have heard about that is intresting to clearcoat paints is a liquid clearcoat as a primer for a coating.

What kind of car is it you have? Would it be worth for you to repaint it? Otherwise I would look to sell it in the near future.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I have measured new cars that are lower than 80um from Mercedes and VW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    I have measured new cars that are lower than 80um from Mercedes and VW.
    Thanks for all the replies all. So the one car with some panels hitting the high 80's is a 2014 silverado that I bought at 38k miles. Never corrected by me and if it was corrected in those 36k miles i imagine it would have been only once. the range on my truck is 90-120 with most places alittle over 100.

I also have a honda and toyota and everywhere expect for when they have been professionally repainted (crash/dent damage), im also in the low 100's.

If i take readings on the door jams i get between 50-70 um for each car.

Thanks!

been thinking about PB glazes. I also still have an old bottle of menzerna P85RD , which i think became Menz 4500 (check my join date =). Was wondering if that would help.

For the one person who said they get nervous under 120 um what kind of cars? My highest readings barely hit that anywhere on any of my cars.

What is WOWA product? Did you mean WOWO wipe on wipe off?

Post Thanks / Like

WOWA is wipe on, walk away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Prima Amigo or the CG glazes. Most things sit on top of acrylic glazes with no problem.
    pretty sure Amigo has some light abrasives in it. Don't quote me on that though

Post Thanks / Like

Car has been corrected too many times what products do you recommend

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    For the one person who said they get nervous under 120 um what kind of cars? My highest readings barely hit that anywhere on any of my cars.
    I didn’t say I get nervous, I said I start to get more cautious and take more readings especially around edges.

Clear on average is between 1.5-2 mils which is 35-50 microns, according to defelsko. I think that’s a conservative estimate in that many cars unless brand new have been worked before, especially here in New England there’s a LOT of repaints, and let’s not forget the dealership monkeys with dusty old wool pads on rotaries.

There have been brand new Astons I’ve seen measure in the 130s, I had a 2012 Mercedes GLK that measured 120 or better in some spots, my test hood off an 01 f350 measures 130 in places and 90 in others. The list goes on. I think my 2017 gmc measures between 80-100 most places, likely a result (I think) of the modern water based paints not building film thickness as much. But that’s just a marginally-educated guess.

I used to LOVE po85rd. I believe it became SF4500 which has now become SFP-3800. I also have Jescar top finish machine glaze which to me is closer to PO85rd than 3800.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast