autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Water Spots on relatively fresh coating?

Hello,

A week or so ago, I corrected the paint and coated a vehicle with Pinnacle Black Label coating. It drizzled down here a little bit a few days ago and there are water spots now etched into the coating. I personally have never experienced this on any car Ive coated or with this coating. My guess is it was very acidic rain to have done this?

The person is going to bring the car back to me so we can see how to "fix" it.

Has anyone experienced this before with coatings in general? Maybe I am foolishly under the impression coatings are supposed to be more resistant to this type of thing. Or, on the other side, if only the coating was damaged, then it did its job? I dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water Spots on relatively fresh coating?

Could it have been from a sprinkler system?

They may have formed from dust sitting on the water beads. Have you tried a quick detailer or waterless wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Could it have been from a sprinkler system?

They may have formed from dust sitting on the water beads. Have you tried a quick detailer or waterless wash?
    The owner of the car did, neither of them worked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    The owner of the car did, neither of them worked.
    Coatings are susceptible to water spots. Some are more resistant than others.

You could try a water spot remover or Carpro Essence Plus.

5. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience many coatings are susceptible to water spots. One of the main reasons I like to use sacrificial spray toppers.
    I agree with Frank. Try a water spot remover and if that doesn’t work, try something like Essence +

7. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Coatings are susceptible to water spots. Some are more resistant than others.

You could try a water spot remover or Carpro Essence Plus.
    ^^this^^

9. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on coating due to water spotting issue..It's more headache to maintain than sealant or wax..
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Water spotting here in AZ is very tough because all the minerals in the water. Not to mention a good rain storm is usually preceded with some kind of dust storm (which never helps!)
    I had the issue on my dd, and it was right after a full correction and coating with CQUK. I was miffed to say the least.

I polished the horizontal panels down and then reapplied CQUK. What I did different, I went back and did a second coat. Then when that cured, I went back and used Reload. And at least for the next several weekly washings, I reapplied reload on the horizontal flats. After that, my issue went away.

So on horizontal panels, I now tend to go "heavy" on the coatings as well as "heavy" on the Reload. Knock on wood, it's been about 10 months and I haven't had the issue again. It's rained several times, leaving ringlets of brown spots, but they all seem to come out in the wash.

Good luck!

12. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have read this many times. The reason for coating causing more water spoting seems to be the increadible level of beading you are getting with a coating. This means water collects in smaller areas (beads) and dry there leaving a spot behind. Unless the coating has not have time to cure, it should not have damaged it. Try washing the car and use vinegar to remove the water spots. There are also water spots remover you can buy but I don't know if they are gonna be more effective than simple vinegar.

As other said, having a sacrificial layer is not a bad idea. Something like CarPro Reload should always be applied after completing the coating to protect it from moisture and water for the first week. Afterwards, using a Silica detail spray or Sealant as a drying aid when you wash the car is a very good idea.

14. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never had a issue with water spots and we get a lot of rain in PA at this time of the year. Has been raining nonstop for about 8 days. Only waterspots I see is from new clients that come by that want me to inspect that paint prior to paint correction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast