autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just clayed for the first time

I just got done claying my car for the first time with the Megs clay kit. I was very happy with the results. The finish came out just as many said it would on this forum, smooth as glass. Since the temp. is going up to fifty degrees today I am going to polish and wax the finish. I was going to use #7 but from what I read it seems that Deep Crystal Polish is more user friendly than #7, being new to this I am going to go with that followed by #21 and then #26. Being a dark blue color I think it should come up very wet and glossy
    Last edited by 325i05; 02-03-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just clayed for the first time

good luck man...post some pics

Post Thanks / Like

claying is an extremely valuable part of the process ... it can also be enjoyable when someone takes on this challenge and understands the benefit of this step ... KUDOS !!

Post Thanks / Like

Calying is often the biggest WOW yull get when detailing, and everyone gets impressed the first time its done....and as Killr say, extremely valuable part when it comes to detailing...

Personaly i would skip the MG 7 and rather give the paint a good cleanup with a desent cleaner (DC paint cleaner, DG 101/105 etc) and then put the MG 21 on top....Remember that the sealer likes to cure for aboiut 24 h before you put anything else on the paint

If you go for the MG 7, go thin, thin, thin and do one panel at the time.

Good luck and post some pics
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like

Are you working on a single stage, or two stage paint? If it is a single stage paint, defiantly go for using a pure polish with no paint correction ability like M7 or Deep Crystal #2. After having used both, I doubt you will notice the difference between the two, and DC2 is WORLDS easier to use over M7. Also, check to see if you have any oxidation, because if you do, it would be a good idea to use some type of product that has some paint correction ability. If you are working on a clear coated car, while you will notice a difference from using a pure polish, it won't last more but a couple days and you are better off not using it.

You have a good choice in waxes, though make sure on M21 that it is the second version, not the first. NXT V2 and m21 V2 are INCREDIBLE products that are defiantly better than the previous, with NXT showing the greatest improvement. For a polish with some paint correction ability, the Deep Crystal paint cleaner is awesome and easy to work with for removing minor oxidation, water etching/marks, and previous layers of waxes. ScratchX works well at removing small scratches (like under door handles), mild to medium oxidation, and water spots, and is going to be about the most agressive thing you are going to want to use by hand. I do prefer the Deep Crystal paint cleaner on removing water spots though, and is without a doubt the best stuff I have ever used to do so with.