autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to protect new headlamps?

Good morning,

I know this has been asked before, but wanted to see if there was anything new out there or if anyone had any long term use tests/information.

What is the best way to protect new headlamps? Carbuba wax? Protective film? Any recommendations for specific brands?

I just bought a brand brand new car (subaru) and the headlamp replacement is $600. I plan to drive it more than 10 years. On my old car, I replaced the headlamps after 13 years as the visibility became dangerous, despite taking great care of the exterior of the vehicle. I did not do anything specifically to preventitively take care of the headlamps, but did perform restoration, which works well once or twice, and then not at all. Would love to avoid replacing LED headlamps with moving components on the new car at that price!

thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to protect new headlamps?

I would recommend either investing in getting xpel protection film on them or using a coating. CarPro DLUX or Gyeon Trim are good options.

Post Thanks / Like

Whether it's a sealant or a coating, I always cover the lights with the same LSP I'm using on the paint. This method has served me well, but I can't help by wonder if products more specifically designed for plastics like Guz mentioned would work even better.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend going the protective film route. That way you’re not only protecting them from U/V damage, but also putting as well. When I put new lights in my car after a deer strike ($1200 for the pair at cost), I had them filmed. Good film should have U/V protection built in, but you can always treat them with additional protection as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Those that Guz recommends is great choices. If you can wait a little bit more McKees 37 has just released their Headlight Coating. But it's not in stock yet but soon I think. Don't mix it up with their Headlight Protectant Spray. The new coating they claims up to 3 years of protection which seems to be a great choice too. Even if it's not tested yet McKees rarely makes bad products if any. And don't forget about all the other lights you have on the car to coat also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Whether it's a sealant or a coating, I always cover the lights with the same LSP I'm using on the paint. This method has served me well, but I can't help by wonder if products more specifically designed for plastics like Guz mentioned would work even better.
    I'm in the same boat. Headlights, and tail lenses. I've always used 845. Six years in, and they still look like the day I picked it up from the dealer.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating, headlight coatings protectants and Dr. Beasley's Headlight Coating Kit topped with 476s or any wax of your choice that has UV inhibitors. I bought the opti-lens first and just started using dr-beasleys for no other reason than just to try something different. Both provide a lot of beading and hopefully good UV protection. Topping with any competent LSP should get a good result.