autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you prime each pad before use when correcting or polishing?

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I don't agree with your method but Can't argue with that. Is it possible you would have gotten better results with more pads?
    No, I don’t think so. I would’ve changed pads the moment I either noticed a drop off in the results or if the pad had become slightly difficult to work with due to being over saturated with product.

If I was doing paint correction with a compound things would be different, because I’d have a much higher level of “stuff” [I can’t think of the proper term right now] coming onto the pad. I don’t think it’s possible to compound a whole vehicle with just 1 or even 2 pads.

2. Likes fightnews liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you prime each pad before use when correcting or polishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    No, I don’t think so. I would’ve changed pads the moment I either noticed a drop off in the results or if the pad had become slightly difficult to work with due to being over saturated with product.
    Nice, What polish did you use? I took the day off I'm about to go out and work on the car. Wash it and stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Now a days when I polish the kia I use different polishers and pad sizes so Its like I automatically use a lot of pads doing that.

I do prime the pad but I don't go ham on it I just thinly spread out the polish over most of the pad. It's the same amount of polish that you use on your circle I just spread it out real thin with a rubber glove. Probably didnt need to highlight that but just trying it out

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, What polish did you use? I took the day off I'm about to go out and work on the car. Wash it and stuff
    Carpro Essence.

Post Thanks / Like

Now a days when I polish the kia I use different polishers and pad sizes so Its like I automatically use a lot of pads doing that.
    To be honest I cut a few corners, because as you already know there’s no way I could’ve hit every corner of the vehicle with a 7” pad. So I skipped the sides of the sunroof, the front bumper, the area around the rear license plate, the pillars, and bearly went over the side mirrors super quik.

Post Thanks / Like

What foam pads are all of you using?

Even though I have and use the standard orange and white pads their pore structure and density works against my style of polishing. Too hard and too smooth to do anything other than basic polishing. I need to use much more pressure to effectively settle the face of the pad on the paint. Especially when trying to cut.

The orange and white are sort of in the middle of what I prefer, which is American filter style foam, and closed cell European prepolymer. Both work great starting with the four drops.

My pad choice is also probably a factor in being able to get great work from a PC, rather than needing the power of a GG6 to turn a pad that I have to stand on to make work.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you prove that? I say "You actually reduce cut" by not priming the pad because you have less abrasives.
    So flooding the polishing section with abrasives is what you relate to as paint correction? Ever hear of the term overkill? Wait, don’t answer that...judging by most/all of your forum responses..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Isn’t it impossible for that to actually happen? I mean if that were true, there’d be open gaps when you go to wipe off the polish.. And since there’s never any dry gaps when wiping off, then that means that even the dry areas of the unprimed pad have come in contact with the polish within the 1st couple of seconds of you turning the polisher on.
    You might be correcting 100% of the surface with only part of the pad being covered in polish, but that does not mean that 100% of the pad is doing work. Those are 2 separate things. If you don't prime your pad, when you are done doing a section, have a look at the pad. You can be almost certain that you will have areas with either no product on it or very little product on.

I know cause for the first 3 years of doing polishing, I did not prime with product. I sprayed with either water or quick wax then applied compound or polish on 4 spots. Now I prime completelly.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so to the argument that more polishing cream is reducing the cut, let me use extremes to demonstrate why it is not possible. So the extremes would be :
    1. A pad with no product at all on it
    2. Not using a pad on a machine but some kind of silk material with no cut at all covered in polishing creme
    So by your account, the pad with no polish on it would have the most cut. And I think that it the complete opposite; a media with no cut would cut just fine with only the polishing creme. Otherwise, why use it at all? If the pad was doing the cut, why not use a dry pad or just a pad that has been sprayed with water?

As for the argument that not covering the pad with product works just fine and produces good result, I am not saying it is not. What I am saying is that it will take more time to achieve the same result. In the case of doing jewelling polish, it might even be desirable, since you want to cut very lightly. In the case of heavy correction, I think that not priming is making the process longer than it needs to be.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched this a while ago... see the video after 4:20
    YouTube

A little OT:-
    Do you guys use water mild spray on a panel in between passes?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast